+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week

Default Best bottles for a windy bub. Help!!!!

Sorry mods wasn't sure where to put this as Its a bit of a few sections, feel free to move if there's a better place

Hi ladies just wondering if anybody can help...DS2 is 5 weeks old and is incredibly windy. He is constantly crying and passing wind all day and night. Not just little farts either, huge ones and very frequently...today he's passing wind every couple of minutes so I'm feeling a bit overwhelmed right now and I hate seeing him in so much pain He also grunts all night and is constantly kicking his legs. Ds1 was a really windy baby but Ds2 is even worse!

He burps so well, we can usually get anywhere from 3-4 burps to 8 it just doesn't matter how many times he burps he still ends up with belly pain and huge bouts of wind building up. We have tried Infacol and Gripe water neither of those made one bit of a difference Bicycle legs and warms baths don't do anything he just cries until he farts

He's on Karicare (normal one) and we are using the new nuby wide neck bottles. So I'm thinking it might be a problem with the bottles maybe because they are wide neck, he does gulp a fair bit on them and they're only 0+months.

So are the slim bottles better for wind? What bottles do you use for your windy bub?

DH is back at work on Mon and I have a 2 yr old so I'm feeling a fair bit overwhelmed....the thought of having bub screaming from wind and trying to share my time with my 2 yr old aswell who is full on himself.

Thanks for any help ladies

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    We use the Closer to Nature bottles with teats that have vent, it slows the flow & stops them from getting too much air :-)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I used Nuk bottles and teats and my LO's didn't have wind issues.

Sent from my GT-I9100T using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I used slim neck bottles for my bub. Pigeon ones. She has wind just like you've described. It's been a constant problem. She's 10 months now and still gets the odd wind belly ache.
    Check to see if your bub has a good latch on the bottle teat...eg.. no milk escaping from the corners of the mouth. This can show they are gulping in air due to a bad latch.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Grab some Pigeon wide neck bottles. You can only get them at pharmacies about $10-12 each. They come with a small teat with 160ml bottle or medium teat with the 240ml but you can buy the teats on there own if you need to swap them. I use these for all the bubs I care for and they are by far the best I've found. Also most baby health nurses recommend them too.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Tamtam View Post
    I used slim neck bottles for my bub. Pigeon ones. She has wind just like you've described. It's been a constant problem. She's 10 months now and still gets the odd wind belly ache.
    Check to see if your bub has a good latch on the bottle teat...eg.. no milk escaping from the corners of the mouth. This can show they are gulping in air due to a bad latch.

Thanks ladies! He always has milk escaping from the corners of his mouth and Ive noticed he sometimes sucks on the very end of the teat. When he does that we take the bottle out and start again but pretty much every bottle he has milk running down, his body suit usually gets a bit wet. Maybe he doesn't like the wide teats and finds it hard to latch properly...so embarrassing he's my second and I still have no clue

Thanks
    Reviews
    Pigeon or medela...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I should also mention that when we were first looking at what bottles to use I was keen on the MAM bottles but got the nuby ones instead. Maybe I should have just gone with those

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Purple Lily View Post
    Thanks ladies! He always has milk escaping from the corners of his mouth and Ive noticed he sometimes sucks on the very end of the teat. When he does that we take the bottle out and start again but pretty much every bottle he has milk running down, his body suit usually gets a bit wet. Maybe he doesn't like the wide teats and finds it hard to latch properly...so embarrassing he's my second and I still have no clue
    Each bub is different so don't worry that he is challenging you. As I said I can't praise pigeon teats highly enough. They have a different type of action that just seems to work better than others and trust me I have tried them all. So many bottles going unused in my cupboard. They have a new "improved" one out now that I haven't tried yet but they sound good

Here is some info
    http://www.pigeonbaby.com.au/peristalticPlus.php

Thanks
    Reviews
    Honestly. . with what you've said..ditch wide neck teats and try pigeon or medela or even the cheapie bottles with the narrow neck old style teat. Pigeon are especially good because they are soft and move easily for bub. When the teat is hard and rigid (like Avent or ctn or nuby etc) its much harder for bub to get a good latch hence milk escaping.
    And don't second guess yourself. I've only got one bub bit I've had a ton of medical intervention including feeding therapy! So I've been through a million (feels like) bottles before I found pigeon!!!