+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm so worried about this. My DH is military and so we live in different states to our families. We have a good support network here but we might be getting moved soon. And he is away six months of the year. Lucky I'm a survivor!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BornToBe View Post
    Yes I wish I had family close by to drop in on. I especially envy those with family members with young kids - cousins etc for the kids to play with. I don't have that for my two and it is one of my biggest concerns for them growing up, a lack of community around them.
    As they get older I will work harder at forming that community through groups and meets. Sometimes I wish we were a religious family as church seems a convenient way to meet people!
    Im an only child and dh has 2 brothers who are gay so my kids will never have any cousins either which I feel bad about.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by First time Mum NSW View Post
    I'm so worried about this. My DH is military and so we live in different states to our families!
    Ditto. We are about to have our first child due 1st December and then our moving truck comes 6th jan we move to a small country town in another state our nearest family (that we could get help from) will be 5-6hrs drive away, my husband will be going away a lot on training exercises and I have accepted that me and bub will be truly alone.

I think the hardest part has been accepting that I'm finally having babies and it's not going to be how I pictured it. I always dreamt that my mum would pop in or we would go over for weekly dinners. I've never lived further than 20 minutes from them so with a newborn and new town etc it's going to be a rude shock.

Ive started to feel guilty sometimes cause I want our baby to come early (I'm already term) just so I can spend more time here with my parents and so he/she is not only 2 weeks old when we drive down. Oh and also get breastfeeding down pat! As I'm going to be one of "those" mums who deems herself failure if I can't do it.

Makes me feel better knowing there are lots of people in the same/similar boat and I will definitely be taking the initiative to get out there (just hope I have a baby that I can manage!)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hugs hugs hugs

My mum is my best friend.

My dh is great, but we are different. He shows how much he loves us by working extremely hard. He wouldn't win any awards for empathy that's for sure.

I am different, I work hard, but always make time to say 'i love you' or to hug the kids or have a laugh. And this is why my mum is great. She's the same, she works harder than anyone I know but she'll still lend an ear or give a shoulder to cry on.

I'm moving across the country in 4 weeks time. I will have my 3rd baby without my mum nearby. I have no one there but my kids, luckily they are great fun.

I will miss her so so much.
    Not for her work but for her friendship.

It makes it even harder when my mil doesn't like me or my mum.. The jealousy and lies she says makes it even harder to leave my mum in a few weeks time.

Hugs to

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by misho View Post
    Hugs hugs hugs

My mum is my best friend.

I will miss her so so much.
    Not for her work but for her friendship.
    Yes! This is exactly the same for me. I just had a flash back to me a fair few years ago crying in my mums lap over some stupid boy and her rubbing my hair lovingly telling me it's going to be okay! Nawwwwwwww

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by BeeSam View Post
    Ditto. We are about to have our first child due 1st December and then our moving truck comes 6th jan we move to a small country town in another state our nearest family (that we could get help from) will be 5-6hrs drive away, my husband will be going away a lot on training exercises and I have accepted that me and bub will be truly alone.

I think the hardest part has been accepting that I'm finally having babies and it's not going to be how I pictured it. I always dreamt that my mum would pop in or we would go over for weekly dinners. I've never lived further than 20 minutes from them so with a newborn and new town etc it's going to be a rude shock.

Ive started to feel guilty sometimes cause I want our baby to come early (I'm already term) just so I can spend more time here with my parents and so he/she is not only 2 weeks old when we drive down. Oh and also get breastfeeding down pat! As I'm going to be one of "those" mums who deems herself failure if I can't do it.

Makes me feel better knowing there are lots of people in the same/similar boat and I will definitely be taking the initiative to get out there (just hope I have a baby that I can manage!)
    We are so fortunate that our Defence 'family' will look out for us. Feel free to pm me if you ever need to vent. Good luck with your move!

7. The Following User Says Thank You to First time Mum NSW For This Useful Post:

BeeSam  (14-11-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    When my kids were younger we didn't have any family or friends and on top of it we had moved to a different country. So initially it was incredibly hard. We couldn't really rely on acquaintances to babysit our kids. But soon enough we had made some really good friends from our own community. My mother did come out to help us and stayed with us for a few months as well which was a huge help.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by BeeSam View Post
    Yes! This is exactly the same for me. I just had a flash back to me a fair few years ago crying in my mums lap over some stupid boy and her rubbing my hair lovingly telling me it's going to be okay! Nawwwwwwww
    I guess this is why as mum we'll be the same with our kids, give them love and support any time and at all ages.

And hopefully they'll love us and be our best friends too!

10. The Following User Says Thank You to misho For This Useful Post:

BeeSam  (14-11-2013)