+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Who works in the healthcare/medical/science fields?

Help meeeee.... I STILL don't know what I want to be when I grow up. I do want something in those ^^^ areas though.

I am 3/4 through a nursing degree, but for very frustrating reasons, I need to change uni's. I know that another uni cannot credit me all of what I've done, so I will be doing some of my degree all over again, I just won't know how much until I apply, accept a place, and apply for credit.

However, nursing wasn't what I wanted to do really anyway. I was bullied into it (long story). I did want to do midwifery though. Anyhoo, now I'm a single parent, and I'm beginning to think that something with shiftwork will be darned near impossible for me anyway, and now that I have to somewhat start uni again anyway, I'm wondering if this is a good opportunity to change degrees.

But I don't know what. For a while I have been thinking maybe occupational therapy. I think I would like that.
    Though I really like sciencey stuff, particularly relating to health.
    I've dreamed of med school, but am thinking the workload would be too high, and the hours would be too hard as a single parent.

So, please help! If you're in these areas, please tell me if you have a moment, what job do you do? What degree did you do? Is the job family friendly? What is the average salary? What do you like and dislike about your job?

Please inspire me!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    How about physiotherapy? You still get the science stuff and won't need to work shifts

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Funniest Caption
    As someone who had to learn to walk again, i think occupational therapists are amazing! I also would guess they would meet many different types of people so it would never be boring!

4. The Following User Says Thank You to bpac For This Useful Post:

Therippleeffect  (20-09-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Im a pediatric dietician its challenging and very rewarding.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I'm a nurse and its sooo not family friendly...I was really lucky though, when ds was small my mum cared for him and I was allowed to do family friendly hours for a while. Now I'm doing normal shifts which is 7 to 330pm. or 1 to 930pm. It would be impossible for a single mum without backup to work these shifts.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Im a nurse and work 8-4.30. Theres heaps of family friendly workplaces and job flexibility with hours etc.
    Pm me for more details.

Sent from my GT-I9305 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi CMF,
    If med's your dream, keep in mind that you can always apply for one of the shorter graduate entry MBBS programs once you've completed your undergrad.

I'm not sure how old your children are now, but once they are older, the workload/hours for med may be easier to manage, so I wouldn't rule it out completely, if it's what you've always wanted to pursue.

The paging dr forum is good. They have a fair bit of info on studying med with children.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi CMF
    I am an occupational therapist - I am on mat leave atm but work for a not for profit organisation in an early childhood intervention program with kids with disabilities and developmental delays. It is challenging but I love my job! OT is awesome because there are so many areas you can you can work in - you can have a career change without changing careers.
    If you are keen on allied health but not sure exactly what you want to do some unis offer courses where you do a health sci degree then a masters of OT, physio or speech - can't think of any off the top of my head though sorry.
    Good luck!

Sent from my GT-I9305 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm a midwife and love it. My partners away at work half the time and I manage it. I work six shifts a fortnight and normally I manage to get days so utilise before and after school care. And found a babysitter for arvo and night shifts when needed

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ended 19/6/2014
    Physio, OT, pharmacist, social worker in a hospital, dietitian... They all work much more family friendly hours than nurses.