+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Elijahs Mum View Post
    I think its like anything that we did back in the day without research - we never wore bike helmets, had car seats or we never had a pool fence in the 70,s and no one we know ever drowned or was killed but that didn't mean of course it was safe! - they put these precautions in for a reason - as they did with the no cows milk rule before 12 months

cows milk is the highest known allergen for kids under the age of 3, purely as it was not made for our systems ( baby cows grow 10 times as fast as baby humans so the proteins are something like 10 times the amount of breast milk and they have a totally different digestive system to ours ) and obviously it does not have the correct vitamin/mineral/fat/ carb ratio babies need - plus the homogenisation and pasteurisation has taken away most of the good stuff anyway (raw milk would be better ) the dairy corporation has done a brilliant job at marketing their product to allow us to believe kids need milk - we apparently have one of the highest increases of osteoporosis in the world and are also one of the biggest consumers of dairy so clearly it's not working!
    Yeah. I had to have soy as a baby, also had eczema and asthma (still do). I can have dairy now but I didn't eat cereals as a teeneger the milk made me feel sick in the stomach. I drank cows milk during my pregnancy and now dd is allergic to dairy and eggs and cannot tolerate it at all (swelling, hives, vomiting- even red itchy irritated skin if it contacts her skin). So yes, I do think there are ramifications for certain people.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I was bf for a few months, I know that. Not sure what I was fed after (mum has passed away). I spent a few years on reflux meds and have had digestive issues.

Slightly OT but I bought unhomogenised milk recently- delicious! I wouldn't drink un pasteurised though.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    That sounds like coeliac, intolerances aren't meant to be that severe.

Quote Originally Posted by preggasaurus View Post
    I was breastfed for a little while, though not exclusively, and was fed a bottle that was one tablespoon of sugar, one ounce of boiling water, and the rest topped up with cows milk.

I have food intolerances that come and go, I developed dairy intolerance in my teens that caused me to lose a lot of weight, that lasted til my twenties. Not long after that I developed an intolerance to gluten, again lost a lot of weight, (I was so sick from this, I weighed 43 kgs, didn't menstruate for about 18 months, and people thought I was anorexic or had cancer), there's been others over the years.

I have a very sensitive gut. I think it's all related to how I was fed as a baby.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Atropos View Post
    I was bf for a few months, I know that. Not sure what I was fed after (mum has passed away). I spent a few years on reflux meds and have had digestive issues.

Slightly OT but I bought unhomogenised milk recently- delicious! I wouldn't drink un pasteurised though.
    I love the Unhomogenised milk! We have a fantastic local dairy near is that makes the most amazing milk. The only unpasturised I've had us straight from the udder and I prefer to be bottle fed. ;-)

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Jennybaby For This Useful Post:

Atropos  (21-09-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I was BF until 9 months when mum went back to work. I don't know if I had formula or milk but I know it was from a cup because I refused a bottle. I have no allergies or intolerances.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Unpasteurised milk scares me. I know we have eradicated things like tuberculosis but they can always come back into the country. Raw milk would be the biggest transmission route for it.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to amyd For This Useful Post:

Atropos  (21-09-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by amyd View Post
    Unpasteurised milk scares me. I know we have eradicated things like tuberculosis but they can always come back into the country. Raw milk would be the biggest transmission route for it.
    Yep, that's why I won't ever go raw. Just not worth it IMO.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    500 Posts in a week
    400 Posts in a week300 posts in a week200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a weekFunniest Caption
    Quote Originally Posted by Blossompossum View Post
    I was having a debate eith myself today.
    I was doing a recipe for my 8 month old. It was either 1 cup of bm or 1 cup of formula.

Dd is bf but I couldn't be bothered to pump 1 cup of milk. No formula in the house. I was thinking about using cows milk but wasn't sure if it would be ok. Ended up usibg 1 cup of boiled water

Yes fat lazy fingers did write this =)
    I had this debate with myself too with recipes for DS2. I thought a little cows milk in food was ok after 6 months.

Sent from my telecommunications device.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I cook with cows milk from 6 months.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    I was give watered down cows milk with sugar added as per doctors instruction. Lol.

I have some digestive issues now, but this is a result of removing my gallbladder. I had a cast iron stomach before that point!