+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    100 Posts in a week
    I've always shopped on my own with one, two or three kids (in various combinations) over the years and yes, no matter how you do it, it can be a real PITA mission.

I have to travel an hour each way (live in the bush) and it has to be done during the week, so I tend to do it fortnightly on a Thursday.

The key I think is to have a detailed menu plan and list and know your shop well, so you are in and out as quickly and efficiently as possible! Distract and entertain kids of various ages with their own baskets, or get them to put things in the trolley etc.. have water and snacks etc... My older ones know that if they put on a performance whilst shopping, their will be unpleasant consequences.

I don't know where you live but if you have a few different supermarkets/locations to choose from, could you split your big shop over two mornings per week after a morning outing? Then get home and they have their arvo sleep while you unpack groceries?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I do it in the middle of the day between dds naps, I just give them both an early lunch

Sent from my GT-I9305 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    9am sat morning so that they're relatively well behaved. Anything after 11am is disastrous.

FearlessLeader is offline Winner 2013 - Most Memorable Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    doesn't your DD go to child care a few days a week? You could do it then. Or you could do click & collect if they dont deliver where you are. Or drop one of your DD's activities.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I do a small shop most days with my two. I'm not organised enough to do one big shop plus I love close to a couple of supermarkets so it doesn;t take too long. If I have a trolley I put 1yr old in the seat and then make my 3 yr old sit in the trolley or walk next to the trolley.
    They are usually pretty good as it doesn't take too long and my 3yr old feels like she is helping as I ask her to get things for me

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I shop on a thursday. Every fortnight. One child is in school and I take the 2yo with me. I generally have a fair idea of what to get (i meal plan in my head) and I know where it all is. I only have to shop for the kids and I for one week as dp works away and is only home one week of the fortnight.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Nowadays df does it with me, and both kids, we hit 3/4 shops in the same shopping centre, we have a plan a list and we get in and get out!

Otherwise I used to do two shops a week otherwise it got too much for the kids all at once.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Zombie_eyes is offline Formerly Diamondeyes
    Winner 2012 - Biggest Computer Nerd
    Winner 2013/14 - Funniest Member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Sometimes I do it of an evening when dh gets home and i leave the kids with him.

Other than that i do what your dh did but with 3 kids.

Having a routine set in cement will bite you in the a55 eventually.

Mumma to two beautiful boys on the spectrum and one special little girl.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I only have one. .. so perhaps not qualified for a response. But I time shopping around sleeps. I put bub in carrier and walk around doing groceries. . sometimes that will put her to sleep.
    I've seen other mums with one in the carrier and toddler sitting in the trolley seat thingy. Maybe you could try that.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    We find the time whenever. Usually it's after school drop off on a weekday with almost 2yo dd in tow. Sometimes it's on Saturdays, potentially one of us with the kids to give the other one time to do stuff, or one of us going without the kids. Or my dh goes out after dd goes to bed ... but recently that's been close to 10pm so that's not working for us right now.

My thought would be your problem isn't the grocery shopping it's your other commitments. Do you work? If you are not working and you have activities that are inflexible for all your weekday mornings, then I think you are trying to do too much.