+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default 2nd induction.

I had an induction for ds1, I only needed the gels and gave birth 4 hours later. I'm due to be induced again at the weekend and just wondered if its likely to go the same way? I would prefer not o get the drip. Please no comments about why am I choosing induction (I had a lot of negative comments with my first pregnancy about it) I'm being induced because I'm showing signs of pre eclampsia and will also be post my due date. Should I expect the same kind of birth, would love to know your experiences.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Generally speaking as you're having your second baby and are full term you shouldn't need gel this time. They will do an internal assessment and assess your cervix length, dilation etc and score you by the Bishop's Score (google for more info) and normally as you have already had a baby and are term your cervix should be "ripen" or dilated enough to break your waters. (This is case for most women at term who have already had a baby). Once they break your waters you can ask for a few hours to see if you establish into labour on your own so the drip isn't needed
    Last edited by elle77; 19-09-2013 at 14:18.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I have only been induced with one baby, my fourth and last. I avoided the drip which was big concern of mine. I was 4cm already but DD was high so the obs didn't want to go straight ARM. Basically the story went:
    - Gel inserted at about 8pm. No action overnight.
    - Following morning cramps come over the morning but are not frequent or anything. At the advice of a midwife we climb the 5 flights of stairs to get gravity to help her drop.
    - About 3pm its confirmed DD has moved down.
    - About 4pm waters are broken, still 4cms and and cramps stop if I lay down (before the ARM).
    - 25 minutes later DD is born

The OB did tell me that it was more likely I wouldn't need the drip because I'd had a baby before, but they still didn't think the ARM would be enough. It was only lucky that they were busy on the day I had her so I was given more time to get her down and whatnot and that the midwife told the OB she didn't think he needed to put the drip in when he broke my water.
    A lady in the hospital at the time had been induced with gel only with her first and the same thing happened that night with her second.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Bump. Would like to here other people answers as well.
    Good luck OP!

GrabbyCrabby is offline She is everything I need, that I never knew I wanted... She is everything I want, that I never knew I needed...
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I have been induced twice with the gel for bring post dates. Both times it was enough to get things going. All the best!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I've been induced 3 times.

1. Gel - waters broke on their own.
    Contractions started themselves.
    Bub was born after 14hrs.

2. My hospital won't give the gel more than once. Since everything was favorable, just had my waters broken. No drip needed. In active labour for 53mins.

3. Same as above really. This was my quickest and most painless birth. Bub was born in 43mins

Thanks
    Reviews
    I was induced for med reasons with dd2 at 39 weeks, straight to drip at 7.30am it took a LOT to get going and did not enter active labour till 3pm had her at 5.30pm I preferred my ds1 low intervention but decided to keep an open mind about the drip as we needed bubba out for her health (low weight gd bubba) I gotta say the whole process was pretty low key till active labour hit with a bang!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have been induced twice- both with the gel. DS was 10 days over and DD was 7 days over. Second labour was few hours quicker than the first. I didn't mind one bit about being induced, would rather a labour that hits you hard and gets things moving than waiting around! Lol just my opinion though! Good Luck!