+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Zombie_eyes is offline Formerly Diamondeyes
    Winner 2012 - Biggest Computer Nerd
    Winner 2013/14 - Funniest Member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week

Default *trigger trigger trigger* domestic violence

I know this is a very sensitive topic so lets try to be mindful that other people exist.

But i was wondering about a hypothetical situation and eager to see what other people think

If your child (probably son cause its
    More common, i think?) was an abuser of his wife or partner or whatever

What would you do? What could you do?

Mumma to two beautiful boys on the spectrum and one special little girl.

TimeForWine is offline Taking everyday one wine at a time...
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Zombie_eyes View Post
    I know this is a very sensitive topic so lets try to be mindful that other people exist.

But i was wondering about a hypothetical situation and eager to see what other people think

If your child (probably son cause its
    More common, i think?) was an abuser of his wife or partner or whatever

What would you do? What could you do?

I only have daughters so the first thing that goes through my mind is PLEASE PLEASE god protect my daughters from men like those.

In answer to the question - if I knew that he was abusive I would 100% be calling the police on him..... every! time he did it. I would probably offer my dil and children to come and live with me. That is hypotheical of course as I have no sons and im sure I dont really even know what i would do in the event of it actually happening.

Zombie_eyes is offline Formerly Diamondeyes
    Winner 2012 - Biggest Computer Nerd
    Winner 2013/14 - Funniest Member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    But what if your dil or even daughter was so blinded and refused to leave and threatened you'd lose her and your grandchildren if you interfered?

There was a situation in my family where we all had to be quiet because we were scared if he had alienated her from us entirely she might die.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have both sons and daughters.

I would do everything I could to protect their partner and child and get help for my child. That would include anything, calling police, having the partner and children live with me, whatever needed to be done to protect them. I'm not sure how I would be if my child refused help. They would still be my child, but I would be bitterly disappointed and disgusted with their behavior.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I'd call the police.

Him escaping his father on the other hand.. DF doesn't take the idea of abuse lightly. He believes if men want to pick on someone, they can pick on people who are strong enough to defend themselves and the idea of his son being an abuser, particularly with his genetics, is a horrendous thing. (I've described my DF before. Were he ever to turn abusive it would be very, very dangerous.)

However, I luckilly only have a DD on board. And I prey she's never an abuser or an abusee.

I'd also offer the DIL and any children a safe place to stay and apologise profusely for my son. I truly wouldn't know where he would have gotten the idea abusing your partner is ever okay, as neither DF nor I do it except for the playful taps that are never in front of people too young to understand the difference between play and abuse.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quiet support. Make sure she knew that no matter what, we were always there for her & the kids. That we knew and if she wanted to talk , to not be alone with him or away for a few hours, offer to take the kids if she didn't want them at the house but that we wouldn't act unless she wanted us to.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to ChickyBee For This Useful Post:

Jellyfishie  (19-09-2013)

TimeForWine is offline Taking everyday one wine at a time...
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Oh if the dil refused help? Gah I dont know.

I would tell her she could come to us at anytime. I would tell her she deserved more. I would tell her the children could stay with me.

I would (depending on the situation if my son knew i knew and how dangerous it woudl be to dil) pull son aside and talk to him and tryyyyyy to get him to go and see a phyc or anger management???

Its a hard one.

Thanks
    Reviews
    As the mum of 2 boys, I'd *** smack his head in to see if he enjoyed being beat up.

My Dh pushed me into a wall and onto the floor.

It took alot to get back from there to where I am now. And i trust that he'll never do it again (he dobbed himself into the police and went to counseling for 6 months).

My MIL has never asked me about it, offered consolation or a sympathetic ear. In fact she blames me. Her son is untouchable. I'll never forgive her for her lack of empathy.

If my son did that to their partner, they'd have hell to pay.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I would be horrified if my ds grew up and abused his wife/partner and I would have no hesitation in stepping in and letting the proper authorities know of their family situation. I would want both of them to get the help they need if I found them to be in such a situation and if future DIL's safety and wellbeing was compromised I would encourage escape and if she wasnt able or ready to leave I would publicly and openly let my ds know that I am disgusted and am "keeping a very close eye on them".

I work very hard at bringing up a son that respects women and has healthy ways and skills to deal with strong emotions and also bring up a dd with self worth and confidence. I hope these skills will to some extent make them more resilient to DV.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I would be offering her the quiet support and building her trust in me. I would be letting her know that the priorities are the children and would be reminding her that as parents we have a duty to our children to offer them a life free from violence (in any form). Depending on the services available I would offer to help her get in touch with a women's service or a counsellor that could help her. I would be strengthening her to help herself and help her devise a safety plan. I would call the police as needed and depending on the other people in my family and the abusers behaviour I would adopt a 'no tolerance' policy and perhaps stage an intervention with male family support and confront him. I believe by saying nothing I am enabling this behaviour and I wouldn't care if this was my son who was the abuser- violence is never ok. I would always be thinking of consequences for the children and the mother before doing anything but I would never sit back and do nothing. I couldn't live with myself if something tragic happened and I sat on my hands.