+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Older children sleeping in the car.

DD is 4 and occasionally falls asleep in the car. She is in a booster with a normal seatbelt. When she falls asleep she ends up slumped forward with her head almost on her knees. She doesn't look very comfortable and it can't be safe. Does any one have any ideas on how to stop her from falling forward while sleeping (other then putting her back in her "baby" seat with the harness which she's too heavy for)?

Thanks in advance.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    interesting question, no idea how to solve it for you... so ill bump it up, my boys 3 & 4 are both in boosters with seat belts and they dont tend to slump forward more to the side, they have safe and sound high liners which have quite meaty head rests

Thanks
    Reviews
    You can get a harness for booster seats that has two straps and goes over the child's shoulders

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    When I was a child and wanted to nap in the car, I would twist my bottom slightly askew and rest my head on the seatbelt.

Don't know how safe that was/is, or whether it should be encouraged or not, just what I used to do.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Ds who's 5.5yrs has a booster seat with the back so has the head support and uses the car seatbelt so when he sleeps in the car he rests his head on the side of his moulded booster seat.

Thanks
    Reviews
    You can buy kids travel pillows, I usually take DS's when we go on long trips, When he falls asleep, I slip it on and it keeps his head upright and looks way more comfortable. Good for air travel as well.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by HippyGirl85 View Post
    You can get a harness for booster seats that has two straps and goes over the child's shoulders
    A lot of the new boosters aren't designed for these. Even if they are it is much safer to use a lap sash seatbelt as h harnesses are so hard to use correctly. I would be looking at buying a new seat that you could still harness her in, there are much taller ones on the market now and they are no longer weight rated.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I thought the law was H harnesses or boosters with inbuilt harnesses till age 7?

Sent from my GT-I9100T using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Cicho View Post
    I thought the law was H harnesses or boosters with inbuilt harnesses till age 7?

Sent from my GT-I9100T using The Bub Hub mobile app
    So did I. I bought DD (nearly 4) a new seat a few months ago, so DS could have her old one and was only given the choice of those with a 5 point harness. She is tall for her age and is still a long way off the shoulder marker that shows when she has outgrown the seat.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Mmumm For This Useful Post:

Cicho  (19-09-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    both mine went into a lap sash at 3 on account of there height and weight. dpt of main roads and safety told me the lap sashes were safer then H- harnesses... the in built harness is a different story though