+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    If DS doesn't want to eat his dinner he doesn't have to.

Sounds like, you're going to make both going to bed and eating his dinner fairly stressful, negative events.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to duckduckgoose For This Useful Post:

btmacxxx  (22-10-2013)

Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    oh and we dont all eat together too.. maybe we should try that also. usually ds eats first and we eat after he is in bed because otherwise its so difficult with trying to get ds to eat at the same time.. its great i have got some good ideas from you all and i will start them asap

4. The Following User Says Thank You to pisang For This Useful Post:

Elijahs Mum  (18-09-2013)

We introduced fun things at dinner at that age to help him sit still and happily eat dinner. If he didn't want to eat in his high chair it could also be my lap, but we did things like pull out the big nursery rhyme book and every time he'd eat something he'd get a nursery rhyme sung to him and now older we read short stories. My son is a snacker really, he'd rather eat whilst playing so it was a struggle to get him to sit still through a meal and this really helped. On other days he'd eat at his little table or we'd mix it up and do picnics on the floor for a bit of fun.

Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    I think we grow up being forced to eat, that we forget how to listen to our bodies. Small children are usually pretty good at listening to their body... for MOST kids, they will eat if they are hungry. If they're not, then they're happy to go without.

If you know he's one of these kids who will starve and then wake up at midnight starving, then I think it's fair to request he eat 5 bites of his dinner (or something like that). Count it together. One... two... three...four... five! Good job! He'll learn counting too. Don't make it a big deal.

If he has a bad day... shrug it off. Eating dinner doesn't need to be a drama. Stressing you both out isn't going to make life any better, and if he's eaten during the day, he honestly should be fine to go without if he's really insistent that he doesn't want any.

Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    We don't force our kids to eat their whole meal (3yo &15mths) but I do remove the food off the table if they don't sit down and wander off to play. We all sit at the toddler table for meals.

I do tho insist that everything must be tried so usually 2-3 spoonfuls before "I'm full" can be used.

Yes I've sent my kids to bed with little to no dinner sometimes. They lived.

Sent from my HTC One SV using The Bub Hub mobile app

Well I am no expert, but i like DH and i to share our love for food with our son - to teach him that food is good, yummy and a thing we do as a family. I have some friends who prefer to feed their kids before everyone else and a lot earlier too (around 5ish) and I will say those kids seem to have some major picky eating issues now which aren't getting any better, and their bed time routines seem to be a disaster. I recall a girlfriend posting on facebook saying her and the hubby still hadn't been able to eat and it was nearly 10pm. And what i found sad in that case was they were blaming their child for the fact they hadn't eaten yet

I think it's important to keep the kids included in what we're doing, as they watch and learn from us too and they love to experience things with us - and eating is one of them.

My DS is 20 months old now, and i at his age see no point in trying to diciplin him when he doesn't want to eat. If he doesn't eat what i made, then ill quickly whip up something i know he likes, if he doesn't want that either then I am usually confident then that he is just not hungry. Things like teething, growth spurts etc can disrupt their appetite as well so i really feel coming down hard on them at such a young age is a little rough. They're too young, i think that sort of diciplin is more suitable for when they've started school.

I also would recommend putting your DS back into the high chair as well, and let him explore his food with his own space. Just my opinion anyways
    Last edited by Serenity Love; 22-10-2013 at 13:52.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Serenity Love For This Useful Post:

Rose&Aurelia&Hannah  (22-10-2013)