+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Slowing down the pushing stage.

I'm currently pregnant (22 weeks or close enough) with baby number 3. My last two labours have been pretty quick and apart from gas I'm not going to have much of an opportunity for anything else. I have no issue with contractions though, they are a walk in the park, I can talk, laugh, walk, brush my teeth through out contractions however the pushing stage is horrendous. Ring of fire horrendous.
    Basically because things happen quickly I feel like I have such an unpleasant pushing stage because it happens so quickly. Rather than contractions to breath through I feel I just have one massive continuous surge until the baby is out. I also tear pretty bad. I've been on my back for one and squatted for my second which I feel was far worse. It was basically like some one dropped a bowling ball from a great height through my vagina.
    I'm thinking I've trying on my back again for this labour to see if it slows it down a little. I'd like to be able to breath through contractions and the urge to push so as I don't tear so dreadfully.
    Has anyone else had a similar experience and would you think lying on my back would help slow the pushing stage?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Don't lie on your back. Left hand side is best for slowing down crowning.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using The Bub Hub mobile app

3. The Following User Says Thank You to IndigoJ For This Useful Post:

Mummasaurus Rex  (18-09-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    What about water? Sorry, no idea.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to MummaOJ For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    There is no water facility at the local hospital - small town, limited choices.

And I just read about left side so I might try that. I would like to get through the pushing stage with as little damage as possible.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hands and knees. You can lift your butt slightly to slow it down.

Sent from my U8860 using The Bub Hub mobile app

8. The Following User Says Thank You to trustno1 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Kneeling also gives you ability to slow pushing by rising up and down instead of pushing.

Sent from my HTC One SV using The Bub Hub mobile app

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Rose&Aurelia&Hannah For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    It could be worth looking into Hypnobirthing. I have just had my second child (6 week old) and I went from 6cm to baby in my arms in 30minutes. I can totally relate to the fast pushing stage. I did some research into Hypnobirthing and also Birth Skills which helped me get to that stage and there are skills I should have looked into further with 'breathing baby out' rather than 'pushing' hopefully someone has better knowledge about this and can point you in the right direction. I'll be looking into it further if I have another child!

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Mummy and T For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    I might try and get the book (online of course because as if my small town has a book shop.) I've had lots of people suggest calm birth classes etc but there is nothing in my area, not even an hour away so I'm kind of on my own so a book really might be the best bet

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JumpingInMuddyPuddles View Post
    Juju Sundin's Birth Skills book is fantastic.
    I breathed DD2 out. DD1 was posterior and such hard work in comparison.
    I'm no help because I'm pregnant with my first, but I have been told about this book and I downloaded it. I have read it 3 times already and the midwife group I am going through recommend these methods and encourage them.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I breathed all three out, 2 posterior , didn't realise I was doing it, just too scared to push after crowning as scared of tearing, never tore with any. Mind you trying not to push when your body wants to is hard, but midwives last two times said not to also.