+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Usually we have Family to help us out. Though sometimes, like this week, it doesn't work out that way. Then I just take the time off work, not much else I can do. We live off savings in that time, this is why we have an emergency fund. Im casual so have no leave available, but my work has been very understanding of our circumstances to date.

Thanks
    Reviews
    If DD is sick I take a day off. I'm lucky enough to work permanent Part-time, so I have the option of carers leave. Also I work for a small business and everyone has kids, so my boss is really understanding. Luckily DD is pretty healthy so she doesn't get sick often. If I was desperate I could probably ask my parents for help.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thank you all for your responses.....its not an easy problem. My DDs father lives too far away to help, friends all work and have families themselves, my mother is nearing 80 and has health issues however she may be my only option if Im stuck I think. Anyway think Ill just have to dive in and work it out as I go like everybody else.

Thanks again

Thanks
    Reviews
    Oh btw crankyoldcow (love the name)....I remember when I was a kid and said I'm sick and don't want to go to school I was told too bad you have too LOL....unless it was serious there was no staying home.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Not a single parent but we both work and have no family here. It's tough. We both alternate time off but I've ready has to go into negative sick leave and anymore will be unpaid. So frustrating as I started a new job so had no balance, whereas I had loads accrued at my old job.

Luckily my work are pretty understanding and I can still respond to emails, etc from home.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Not a single parent, but DH is away a lot and self-employed so he can never stay home with them. At my last job they were not understanding at all, they were downright horrible if I ever needed time off for a sick kid (even though I had accrued a good amount of leave).... So I don't think I ever got to stay home when DD was sick. It was horrible, I hated asking people to look after her when she was sick, or those panicked morning calls to family when I realised she was too sick to go to care. A lot of time my family actually took their own sick leave to care for her (even though I had sick leave myself!!). My MUm, Dad, Sister all took sick days to care for her when I couldn't. It was awful and I felt so bad, but if I took time off, I would pay for it when I returned by the way of rude comments, rolled eyes etc from my manager.

I quit that job when I was pregnant with DS and the job I have now is awesome. My boss, in fact the entire management team, are so super understanding as they all have kids themselves and no family to help. My third week I needed 3 days off as DS had a chest infection and they just said "do not even worry, family comes first, don't even think about work!". I have needed a bit more time off for medical appointments etc recently and again, they just tell me not to give it a second thought. So at this job, I wold have zero hesitation in taking days off to be with my kids, if I run out of paid leave, they give you the option to take annual leave instead, or work from home.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Funniest Caption
    Not a single parent but DP works away alot and we have no family near us. DD has had such a bad run this year that every time i call up to say i cant come in i expect them to fire me. She is ALMOST at that age when i can bring her with me and put movies on but right now she doesnt have the best listening skills. It is so hard - i have used up all my sick leave and holiday pay so now if she is sick i am screwed.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I work full time and luckily I have my mum to help out. I'd be stuffed without her.

But really, neither of my kids have been sick for more than a couple of days at a time. That would be a rare occurrence (well it is for me, thankfully).

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I'm lucky, my ds is rarely sick but I either, take a sickie to care for him or my mum minded him.