+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Working Single Parents - Please advise

Soooo Im just trying to get an idea of what all you working single parents do when your child is sick but you have to be at work? What do you do if its not a one day sickness also...say your child is sick for a week or more. If you have not got family available to take them? I realise all working parents have this issue....and Im just trying to get a look at how people manage it without losing their jobs. Its doing my head in but I know there must be a way if others are doing it. My daughter heads to school next year and right now Im doing part time flexible work so have been able to move things to accommodate her needs but looking to enter more structured work next year.

Thanks for your feedback

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    It doesn't work out for me.

My child is Autistic every time I get a job, her routine changes so she starts mucking up at school. When this happens I have to take time off work because she gets suspended, I then lose my job because I'm new, on trial and look unreliable.

Hope you have better luck them me.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to ~BEXTER~ For This Useful Post:

HarvestMoon  (18-09-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    I just took a week off as DS was sick but i also caught what he had. Financially we were screwed but i have taken some annual leave (2 days worth so 12hrs) and i was lucky to work a night duty and also a saturday shift which is penalty rates. If DS is sick i have no choice but to stay home with him as i have nobody who could mind him and its not worth me getting a babysitter in as they would cost more than me working.

Sent from my GT-I9305T using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I live off savings when they are sick.

I don't get any leave, so it's a significant financial blow every time.

Their dad took a sick day last time too, so I only took two, I think he should take more days off as he gets sick leave, he thinks if they're sick on my days, it's my problem.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Luckily for me DS has never been sick for an entire week, I've only ever had to take a day off here and there but he is only 3. If he did get very sick, then I'd have the week off and that would be fine, my work would manage. If I was in a position where I'd lose my job then I'd get DS's dad to take time off work to come and care for DS. Or pay a babysitter, or if he's really sick I'd lose my job and live on SPP for a while.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ended 19/6/2014
    I guess it depends where you work. When working permanent PT I would just take carers leave.
    Now I just work as a casual so can cancel shifts anyway, although it usually results in being punished by getting no shifts for a couple of weeks after.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    DS is not a sickly child. In fact, I don't think he's taken a sick day this year. But, otherwise I just take carers leave- it comes off my sick leave. It's really important to set yourself up with a good employer, build that repport and than when and if it does happen- they are more flexible.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    My work are really great, they understand. A while ago DD had conjunctivitis so I couldn't send her to daycare but she wasn't 'sick' as much so I took her to work with me. She just watched TV and did drawing etc. when she's really sick though I just take time off (I get sick leave) or sometimes my mum or sister can help me out!

Thanks
    Reviews
    My work is understanding, they realise children get sick and that I have no option. I think it also helps that I've not been one to take a lot of sick days, so have generally been known as reliable, I also have about 700 hours of sick leave. I'm also lucky to work weekends so family and friends are usually free those days.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I am super lucky in that my mum and XMIL is always available to mind the kids. I don't know what I would do otherwise.