Closed Thread
Page 94 of 99 FirstFirst ... 44849293949596 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRedV View Post
    It's a little short-sighted of O'Farrell. And he has verballed Brandis. Brandis never said that racism was right, or was sanctioned, and to say that he did is mis-representing the point.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Father View Post
    It's a little short-sighted of O'Farrell. And he has verballed Brandis. Brandis never said that racism was right, or was sanctioned, and to say that he did is mis-representing the point.
    O'Farrell just has a keener political nose than Brandis, who basically stepped on his own landmine with the bigot comment. With weeks of "consultation" to go, this has turned into a running sore for the Libs, and O'Farrell wants no part of it.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to JohnC For This Useful Post:

Atropos  (27-03-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Father View Post
    It may give people a different way to express their hatred (ie. calling Abbott a ******** and showing pictures of his head as male genitalia is because he is a man, and people using the word '*****' because Gillard is a woman), but it was not because she was a woman, or Obama being black, that they are/were disliked by people. Gillard was a hopeless PM, and people criticised her because of her incompetence of doing the job and because they did not like her policies. Just as people are criticising Abbott because they do not like his policies. That is politics. You won't please everyone, and by pleasing some (in this case the majority), you will undoubtedly upset the minority.

98 days without any boat arrivals!
    Any evidence to support your claim that Gillard did not face harassment, discrimination, vilification and disrespectful treatment at the hands of the media AND the opposition based on her gender?
    I'm sorry but your continued denial of the obviously sexist treatment of the first female PM is getting laughable. Why can't you accept that it happened?
    I don't support gender based slurs towards anyone but I don't think calling Abbott a ******** is necessarily gender based- it's a fairly common term in Australian slang and I've heard it applied to both men and women. And the sign saying Resign, Di!!head? Written by and carried by a man. That's just one example. He's not being vilified, mocked or harassed for being male. People don't like what he's doing to the country. Do I agree with how they express their opposition? Not always, no.

To answer your other question, it's never ok to vilify anyone, but it's certainly ok to disagree with them and what they stand for.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Atropos For This Useful Post:

JohnC  (27-03-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Atropos View Post
    He's not being vilified, mocked or harassed for being male.
    That seems to me the key point of difference.

Now, as a separate issue, one could wish for a more elevated tone of political discourse from all sides of politics . But that's a separate question from sexism and racism, which are not about a vulgar tone but concern fundamental issues of prejudice and unequal treatment.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Any evidence to support your claim that Gillard did not face harassment, discrimination, vilification and disrespectful treatment at the hands of the media AND the opposition based on her gender?
    She faced some sexist comments yes. But was the root cause of them because she is a woman, or because of her performance - one cannot be sure either way. But because she did not receive any of this prior to becoming PM, it would not be invalid to assume that it was because of her performance. Do you have examples of sexism against her prior to her becoming PM?

In contrast, Abbott had been regularly the subject of sexist type remarks due to his wearing of speedos long before he became PM. He has had to stop being himself (not wearing them anymore) due to the repeated harassment. Was that acceptable? Would criticism of Gillard's bathing attire have been acceptable whilst she was an MP prior to her becoming PM? Or would have that been sexist?

I'm sorry but your continued denial of the obviously sexist treatment of the first female PM is getting laughable. Why can't you accept that it happened?
    I have. I just don't believe that the root cause of her criticism is due to her gender. But gender played a part in how the criticism took place.

I don't support gender based slurs towards anyone but I don't think calling Abbott a ******** is necessarily gender based- it's a fairly common term in Australian slang and I've heard it applied to both men and women.
    I can say the same about the word '*****'. I have been called, and heard other males being called that. Does that make it acceptable? Not at all. But I can't see you can be so hypocritical to think that '********' is ok but '*****' isn't.

People don't like what he's doing to the country. Do I agree with how they express their opposition? Not always, no.
    And people didn't like what Gillard was doing to the country. And no, I do not agree with hate signs.... always. Regardless of the side. I do not have double standards.

To answer your other question, it's never ok to vilify anyone, but it's certainly ok to disagree with them and what they stand for.
    I agree.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Father For This Useful Post:

Mod-pegasus  (28-03-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts

Mod-pegasus is offline ADMINISTRATOR
    and all that the Lorax left here in this mess was a small pile of rocks with the one word...UNLESS
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Regardless of whether you think calling someone a ******** is sexist, drawing male genitalia on a man's head is definitely sexist, and it's depicting the same thing.

You are right Busy Bee - I wasn't at the march - I don't partake in such things (for many reasons - I don't agree with hatred protests, I prefer to do my political debates via the pen than by surrounding myself with others of similar disposition. I believe my method of contact local politicians is more likely to achieve going about getting change, also because my weekends are for my family and contrary to how some people acted (I've mentioned getting a toddler carrying a sign saying "toddlers against tony") its not the way I want to bring up my children - where they have no idea about what they are protesting about. I'd rather fight my political battles with politics rather than emotion.

However, I still stand by the fact that regardless of the nazi insignias etc, there were a lot more signs depicted in any pictorials I saw which were defamatory in any of the photos I saw. Obviously, I didn't see all of the signs and they are easy pickings over people who didn't carry signs.

I stand by the fact that defamatory signs calling people names etc, is a form of abuse and therefore in my book rules all of the people who thought to carry them out as being part of a civilised protest.

ETA: I'm sure there was more that I was to respond to, but I'm not going back to previous pages now. I do stand by my previous posts and the fact that any emotionally based rally which is there to incite hatred (or unite people in hatred) is not useful nor something I want to be part of.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Mod-pegasus For This Useful Post:

Father  (28-03-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pegasus View Post
    Regardless of whether you think calling someone a ******** is sexist, drawing male genitalia on a man's head is definitely sexist, and it's depicting the same thing.

You are right Busy Bee - I wasn't at the march - I don't partake in such things (for many reasons - I don't agree with hatred protests, I prefer to do my political debates via the pen than by surrounding myself with others of similar disposition. I believe my method of contact local politicians is more likely to achieve going about getting change, also because my weekends are for my family and contrary to how some people acted (I've mentioned getting a toddler carrying a sign saying "toddlers against tony") its not the way I want to bring up my children - where they have no idea about what they are protesting about. I'd rather fight my political battles with politics rather than emotion.

However, I still stand by the fact that regardless of the nazi insignias etc, there were a lot more signs depicted in any pictorials I saw which were defamatory in any of the photos I saw. Obviously, I didn't see all of the signs and they are easy pickings over people who didn't carry signs.

I stand by the fact that defamatory signs calling people names etc, is a form of abuse and therefore in my book rules all of the people who thought to carry them out as being part of a civilised protest.

ETA: I'm sure there was more that I was to respond to, but I'm not going back to previous pages now. I do stand by my previous posts and the fact that any emotionally based rally which is there to incite hatred (or unite people in hatred) is not useful nor something I want to be part of.
    I Think it's unfair to label the country wide March in March protests as a rally to incite hatred. You have said you weren't there. busy Bee was there and said there were many, many more signs that weren't photographed that had legit complaints and concerns on them. You are focussing on a minority, I think, and losing site of the big picture- that a grassroots protest came together around the country where thousands and thousands of people expressed their lack of confidence in the Abbott govt.

Thanks
    Reviews
    You are focussing on a minority, I think, and losing site of the big picture- that a grassroots protest came together around the country where thousands and thousands of people expressed their lack of confidence in the Abbott govt.
    Out of interest - what was your view of the 'convoy of no confidence'?