Closed Thread
Page 93 of 101 FirstFirst ... 43839192939495 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pegasus View Post
    It was a lot more than 7 signs.

No my focus was on how it was a called a civilised protest when I believe it was not. The signs were an example.

I will leave it with a couple of quotes from this story.

And it's the last sentence here which is my real thoughts on the matter.
    The hatred part? Does it not make you wonder why such hatred is directed at the man? It's certainly food for thought. I don't agree with the name calling etc like d-head etc. but the racist, homophobic and sexist? Well, if it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck, chances are...
    It was a civilised protest. There were no arrests or problems with violence etc. and the nasty signs were in the vast minority. Even if it was 20 nastily worded signs, or 100, there were still thousands with legit messages or questions. Why focus on those ones while ignoring all the legit ones? I feel like focussing on the few who couldn't keep their messages clear and impersonal we are discounting the message put forth by all those who did iykwim?

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Atropos For This Useful Post:

Busy-Bee  (27-03-2014)

Busy-Bee is offline Offending people since before Del :D
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    With respect Peg, were you there? I was, well at least the Brisbane one. Hand on heart I saw maybe 3 signs that I thought were off (and this is coming from someone who had their children with them who doesn't even say the word "bum" to them - I am a prude when it comes to language). I didn't really like the big puppet thing. As Atropos said, even if it was 700 signs that were vulgar or offensive, that would represent 0.7% of participants. All these people did were carry signs that had arguably offensive or vulgar messages. Did they bash people over the head with them? Did they chant "f**k off Tony" or similar? Did they incite violence? No, they held vulgar signs up.

Why is/was there no media attention on the hundreds of people on the people clapping and dancing down the street? Because according to current news definition, that's not newsworthy. Violence, war, speculation, aggression is "news". The absence of it is not.

Quote Originally Posted by pegasus View Post
    And it's the last sentence here which is my real thoughts on the matter.
    The lack of coverage of March in March probably had something to do with the fact that, like so much left-wing protest, it was unfocused. The speakers and protesters had a grab-bag of complaints, from asylum-seeker policy to gay marriage to fair trade. The only uniting theme was raw hatred of the Prime Minister, and the offensive signs/language about him were off-putting to a broader audience.
    Unfocussed? I beg to differ. The commonality was to bring people together to demonstrate a show of no confidence against the Abbot government. The fact is that this government just happens to have dealt with a broad range of issues in a manner than has enraged a enough people that they came together to demonstrate. It might be one, a few or all of the LNP policies and dealings that actually bought people out on the day. As for the term "hate", I'm not really a fan of the word and it has very unpleasant overtones when used in such a manner. There is an insinuation of inciting violence, anger, thuggery etc. The protesters may 'hate' Tony Abbot but that doesn't mean they would advocate for some sort of Ceausescu type overthrow and ending. (I'm sure if Alan Jones looked hard enough though he could find one person who might think this was a good idea and make headlines by broadcasting the lone nutter.) The protesters may 'hate' Tony Abbot but when they protested and demonstrated this 'hate' the vast majority of them did so with big smiles and cheers whilst they clapped along to the music and chants.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Busy-Bee For This Useful Post:

Atropos  (27-03-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I don't know why we're still talking about this. This was an Australia-wide set of marches that came together via social media; it was not some centrally organised, North Korea-style demonstration. So of course there will be a (small) minority with offensive and childish signage. So what?

If people on this forum were defending the signs/behaviour of that tiny minority, then we might have something to talk about. But no one has done that.

It seems to me these complaints are just a way of people with a different political viewpoint to smear the honest disappointment thousands of ordinary Australians have felt about this government.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JohnC For This Useful Post:

Atropos  (27-03-2014),Busy-Bee  (27-03-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Atropos View Post
    The hatred part? Does it not make you wonder why such hatred is directed at the man? It's certainly food for thought.
    Did it make you wonder why there was such hatred directed at Gillard? Food for thought. Or was it just because she was a woman?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Father View Post
    Did it make you wonder why there was such hatred directed at Gillard? Food for thought. Or was it just because she was a woman?
    I have no doubt others like me were less than impressed with her stance on marriage equality.
    But it was abundantly clear to me the vitriol she received at the hands of the media and the opposition had nothing to do with that stance. I refer you again to Anne Summers' speech "Her Rights at Work".

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Father View Post
    No, it wasn't just because she was a woman. Politics is a rough game, after all. But the fact she was our first female PM gave an extra dimension to conservative outrage in the same way that Obama being America's first black president has incited some very ugly emotions.
    Last edited by JohnC; 27-03-2014 at 16:22.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to JohnC For This Useful Post:

HollyGolightly81  (27-03-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnC View Post
    No, it wasn't just because she was a woman. Politics is a rough game, after all. But the fact she was our first female PM gave an extra dimension to conservative outrage in the same way that Obama being America's first black president has incited some very ugly emotions.
    It may give people a different way to express their hatred (ie. calling Abbott a ******** and showing pictures of his head as male genitalia is because he is a man, and people using the word '*****' because Gillard is a woman), but it was not because she was a woman, or Obama being black, that they are/were disliked by people. Gillard was a hopeless PM, and people criticised her because of her incompetence of doing the job and because they did not like her policies. Just as people are criticising Abbott because they do not like his policies. That is politics. You won't please everyone, and by pleasing some (in this case the majority), you will undoubtedly upset the minority.

98 days without any boat arrivals!

Thanks
    Reviews
    To deny there have been strong elements of sexism and racism in the response by some conservatives to Gillard and Obama, respectively, seems to me to be wilfully blind.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JohnC For This Useful Post:

Atropos  (27-03-2014),HollyGolightly81  (27-03-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnC View Post
    To deny there have been strong elements of sexism and racism in the response by some conservatives to Gillard and Obama, respectively, seems to me to be wilfully blind.
    I saw this

http://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/1963583/

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRedV View Post
    That is clearly unacceptable. As were the Abbott signs. As were the Gillard signs. It seems that some people though can't see wrong in people when they are on their own side.

Atropos:
    The hatred part? Does it not make you wonder why such hatred is directed at the man?
    Does it matter why? When is it ok to vilify someone?