Closed Thread
Page 89 of 101 FirstFirst ... 3979878889909199 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Weird, he doesn't believe the department any other time Like when they say 90% of all asylum seekers are genuine refugees or that it is not illegal to claim asylum after coming by boat. :roll eyes: Cherry picking of the highest order!

Quote Originally Posted by Atropos View Post
    http://riserefugee.org/post/71593601...an-immigration

Here's one. Is testimony from the people on manus more believable than a dept rep here? Well, yes. Who is there, experiencing and seeing it? You will choose to believe what you like F, and I have no doubt it will be the department, despite mounting evidence that detained asylum seekers are not being looked after adequately and their health and safety is being jeopardised.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Australia doesn't actually have freedom of speech defined in our constitution so I don't think 18C is inhibiting anything. With regard to 18C, it prevents one from publicly aiming to "offend, insult, humiliate or intimidate" on grounds of race and I think it's the last word that is particularly pertinent and the others are important too. I think it's fine to cause offense because you have a different view or belief on an issue- but not because of someone's race. I'm pretty appalled that people defend the "right" to be a bigot.
    Merriam Webster defines a bigot as:
    a person who is obstinately or intolerantly devoted to his or her own opinions and prejudices; especially: one who regards or treats the members of a group (as a racial or ethnic group) with hatred and intolerance
    Why should we encourage bigotry or protect it with law? Is this really something we want to enshrine in our legislation? How will this benefit a multicultural society?
    There is no logical or moral reason to give a person the right to be racist. Andrew Bolt was found to have not written his articles in good faith and to have not written factual information therefore they would be offensive to a reasonable member of the Aboriginal community. Why should he, or anyone, be allowed to publicly make non-factual statements that are offensive to certain racial groups?
    I think it comes down to what kind of society we want to live in.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Atropos For This Useful Post:

Busy-Bee  (25-03-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Father View Post
    Manner?

Errors of fact is relevant to defamation. Do you know what the errors were? Do you have examples of inflammatory/provocative language that he used?
    You realise that John was quoting from the federal magistrate who handed down the ruling, right? They certainly had the articles to hand when making their decision. Do you presume that you know more about the application of 18C and 18D than the federal court?

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Atropos For This Useful Post:

beebs  (25-03-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by beebs View Post
    Weird, he doesn't believe the department any other time Like when they say 90% of all asylum seekers are genuine refugees or that it is not illegal to claim asylum after coming by boat. :roll eyes: Cherry picking of the highest order!
    Exactly why I didn't bother continuing with that line. If the department confirmed the issue, he'd doubt it. If the department denies it, he agrees. The words of the victims doesn't mean anything to some people I guess. Much more reasonable to assume they are lying

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Atropos For This Useful Post:

beebs  (25-03-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    They were completely peaceful in their demonstrations - and you know, you are the one going on about how important free speech - even if it means tormenting people about their religion. You can't have it both ways Father - so which is it? Free speech - or no free speech?

PS- I found nothing uncivilised in any of that, I swear, so what? Ohhh no, a Linb thinks I'm not classy -how devastating. To be honest, if you had of said anything in the positive about the march at all - I would have been VERY worried.

Quite a civilised bunch.

Hey. But at least there wasn't a sign that had the word 'witch' on it! These are much better.

Even the speakers were full of class.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to beebs For This Useful Post:

SpecialPatrolGroup  (25-03-2014)

Busy-Bee is offline Offending people since before Del :D
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    Quite a civilised bunch.

Hey. But at least there wasn't a sign that had the word 'witch' on it! These are much better.

Even the speakers were full of class.
    100,000 + people peacefully protest with an estimate of 20,000 signs and you pick 7 to discredit the entire event. These pictures above represent less than 0.007% of participants.

For the record I don't approve of the above signs either, especially since I bought my children to the event as did many many others. It was heavily promoted as a family friendly event by the organisers who also distanced themselves from such signs. Fortunately my eldest took no notice of maybe the 1 'off' sign that we saw, he was too busy looking at the thousands of people and taking the rest of it in. Now I'm not a fan of taking children to protests but I felt strongly enough to take my children to this one as we don't have babysitters on hand. I explained to my eldest that Mum and Dad don't approve of some of the things our government is doing and that we are fortunate enough to live in a country where we can demonstrate and protest against the government, providing we do this peacefully and respectfully. Turns out it was a fantastic example of a peaceful demonstration for him! Despite the high temps, the crowds, etc the atmosphere and general mood was polite and upbeat. When people bumped into each other (which was inevitable given the crowds) exchanges were nothing less than polite and friendly. It was a very civilised event - I know, I was there.

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Busy-Bee For This Useful Post:

Atropos  (25-03-2014),beebs  (25-03-2014),JohnC  (25-03-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Busy-Bee View Post
    100,000 + people peacefully protest with an estimate of 20,000 signs and you pick 7 to discredit the entire event. These pictures above represent less than 0.007% of participants.

For the record I don't approve of the above signs either, especially since I bought my children to the event as did many many others. It was heavily promoted as a family friendly event by the organisers who also distanced themselves from such signs. Fortunately my eldest took no notice of maybe the 1 'off' sign that we saw, he was too busy looking at the thousands of people and taking the rest of it in. Now I'm not a fan of taking children to protests but I felt strongly enough to take my children to this one as we don't have babysitters on hand. I explained to my eldest that Mum and Dad don't approve of some of the things our government is doing and that we are fortunate enough to live in a country where we can demonstrate and protest against the government, providing we do this peacefully and respectfully. Turns out it was a fantastic example of a peaceful demonstration for him! Despite the high temps, the crowds, etc the atmosphere and general mood was polite and upbeat. When people bumped into each other (which was inevitable given the crowds) exchanges were nothing less than polite and friendly. It was a very civilised event - I know, I was there.
    He didn't choose them, he got them from Andrew Bolt

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BigRedV For This Useful Post:

Atropos  (25-03-2014),Busy-Bee  (25-03-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    http://www.themonthly.com.au/blog/ro...sm-andrew-bolt

On the subject of Bolt this is well worth a read

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Atropos For This Useful Post:

JohnC  (25-03-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Errors of fact is relevant to defamation. Do you know what the errors were? Do you have examples of inflammatory/provocative language that he used?
    You mean to tell me that you have all this time been excoriating this provision and defending Bolt without ever having read the judgement. Amazing!

This link has both the judge's summary of the case and the full judgement. Enjoy.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to JohnC For This Useful Post:

Atropos  (25-03-2014)

Busy-Bee is offline Offending people since before Del :D
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    The March in March media coverage also made Media Watch last night (end piece). The show also gets to point out yet again what a twit Bolt is.

http://iview.abc.net.au/programs/med.../FA1335H008S00