Closed Thread
Page 87 of 99 FirstFirst ... 3777858687888997 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRedV View Post
    So since so many people liked to call Julia Gillard a liar, let's keep Tony accountable to all his promises. And please feel free to post any broken election promises...
    So his election promise was change 18C. I want him to keep his election promise. Can I confirm that you want him to break his promise? How is that 'keeping him honest'?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRedV View Post
    State politics.

Geoff Brock receiving threats.

http://m.adelaidenow.com.au/news/sou...-1226862740476

Christopher Pyne not happy, lol

http://www.theguardian.com/commentis...-of-sore-loser
    It's a pretty weird system when a party can get 53% of the 2PP vote. But that is how the system works. Brock will be accountable to his electorate at the next election. And if I was a betting man, he will resign just like Windsor and Oakshott did prior to letting the people show him how bad his decision was.

Anyone want to take me up on a bet?

SpecialPatrolGroup is offline T-rex is cranky until she gets her coffee.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Father View Post
    So his election promise was change 18C. I want him to keep his election promise. Can I confirm that you want him to break his promise? How is that 'keeping him honest'?
    Maybe we should help him maintain his integrity then.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using The Bub Hub mobile app
    Last edited by SpecialPatrolGroup; 24-03-2014 at 18:46.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to SpecialPatrolGroup For This Useful Post:

Atropos  (24-03-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by SpecialPatrolGroup View Post
    Maybe we should help him maintain his integrity then.

Honesty is a pretty big component of integrity. I don't think you would be helping him at all here by wanting him to backflip on an election promise.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Honesty is a pretty big component of integrity. I don't think you would be helping him at all here by wanting him to backflip on an election promise.
    And the other element of integrity is strong moral principles.

As has been pointed out previously he had already stated that we can't trust him to follow through on a promise that may have been made in the heat of debate. And if not promises made in the heat of debate, then why any other?

I generally regard most of what he campaigned on as threats rather than promises.

Last edited by SpecialPatrolGroup; 24-03-2014 at 18:59.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to SpecialPatrolGroup For This Useful Post:

beebs  (25-03-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    And the other element of integrity is strong moral principles.
    I would say that giving people the human right of free speech is a pretty important principle to hold.

"I do not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it." - Voltaire.

I don't agree with alot of the comments on this forum, but I would never want to silence such comments. Even the ones that offend me.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I would say that giving people the human right of free speech is a pretty important principle to hold.

"I do not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it." - Voltaire.

I don't agree with alot of the comments on this forum, but I would never want to silence such comments. Even the ones that offend me.
    Except when a person is hiding behind those laws and using their priviledge to oppress others, particularly those who have no voice.

I think giving the freedom to speak with hate is an abuse of a priciple that should be used bring transparency and accountability.

Last edited by SpecialPatrolGroup; 24-03-2014 at 19:41.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SpecialPatrolGroup For This Useful Post:

beebs  (25-03-2014),BigRedV  (24-03-2014)

Busy-Bee is offline Offending people since before Del :D
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    Nothing to do with keeping a promise - I loathed pretty much all his promises so I'd be more than happy for him to have a change of mind.

I haven't kept up with this thread but if you're complaining that repealing 18C is a positive thing because it allows freedom of speech then you clearly having read 18D. 18C&D is about making people accountable for their words. By removing 18C there is no provision for accountability. What I'm saying is there is no need to repeal 18C because 18D provides appropriate exclusions.

RACIAL DISCRIMINATION ACT 1975 - SECT 18C

Offensive behaviour because of race, colour or national or ethnic origin (1) It is unlawful for a person to do an act, otherwise than in private, if:
    (a) the act is reasonably likely, in all the circumstances, to offend, insult, humiliate or intimidate another person or a group of people; and

(b) the act is done because of the race, colour or national or ethnic origin of the other person or of some or all of the people in the group.
    Note: Subsection (1) makes certain acts unlawful. Section 46P of the Australian Human Rights Commission Act 1986 allows people to make complaints to the Australian Human Rights Commission about unlawful acts. However, an unlawful act is not necessarily a criminal offence. Section 26 says that this Act does not make it an offence to do an act that is unlawful because of this Part, unless Part IV expressly says that the act is an offence.
    (2) For the purposes of subsection (1), an act is taken not to be done in private if it:
    (a) causes words, sounds, images or writing to be communicated to the public; or
    (b) is done in a public place; or
    (c) is done in the sight or hearing of people who are in a public place.
    (3) In this section:
    "public place" includes any place to which the public have access as of right or by invitation, whether express or implied and whether or not a charge is made for admission to the place.
    and very importantly 18D states:
    RACIAL DISCRIMINATION ACT 1975 - SECT 18D

Exemptions Section 18C does not render unlawful anything said or done reasonably and in good faith:
    (a) in the performance, exhibition or distribution of an artistic work; or
    (b) in the course of any statement, publication, discussion or debate made or held for any genuine academic, artistic or scientific purpose or any other genuine purpose in the public interest; or
    (c) in making or publishing:
    (i) a fair and accurate report of any event or matter of public interest; or
    (ii) a fair comment on any event or matter of public interest if the comment is an expression of a genuine belief held by the person making the comment.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Except when a person is hiding behind those laws and using their priviledge to oppress others, particularly those who have no voice.
    In this case there would be no law to hide behind. The only people in this case that are 'hiding behind' a law is those that cannot argue with reason against comments that they do not like.

I think giving the freedom to speak with hate is an abuse of a priciple that should be used bring transparency and accountability.
    That sentence doesn't make sense.
    Are you saying that people do not have a right to 'speak with hate'? If that were the case, then this thread would be shut down as it has been dedicated to hate speak about Abbott.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Busy-Bee View Post
    Nothing to do with keeping a promise - I loathed pretty much all his promises so I'd be more than happy for him to have a change of mind.

I haven't kept up with this thread but if you're complaining that repealing 18C is a positive thing because it allows freedom of speech then you clearly having read 18D. 18C&D is about making people accountable for their words. By removing 18C there is no provision for accountability. What I'm saying is there is no need to repeal 18C because 18D provides appropriate exclusions.

and very importantly 18D states:
    Thankyou for providing that. Are saying that Andrew Bolt did not fit into any of those exemption categories? Why is was his opinion on Aboriginal entitlements deemed illegal. He was raising an issue of public interest and expressed his genuine belief that we should not be treated differently on the basis of race.

At least having a legitimate way of determining what is 'reasonable' might make these exemptions apply a little better. ie. a jury rather than the opinion of a single judge.

I say his article was 'done reasonably and in good faith', I'm assume that you don't think it was. How is that a good law?