Closed Thread
Page 79 of 99 FirstFirst ... 2969777879808189 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Father View Post
    Science is not a democracy. You don't vote for scientific outcomes. I scientist with facts can prove thousands wrong.
    But if there is a consensus among the great majority of scientists based on the balance of evidence as published in the peer-reviewed literature, then it is perverse for the general public or governments to embrace the dissent of a small minority.

Of course, scientific questions are never finally settled, and new research may change that consensus. But that's not where we are with climate science, where most new data seems to indicate an acceleration of warming beyond the predictions of even a decade ago.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Same as my mum and dad. They live on the Central Coast about 5 minutes from the exchange but are apparently too far from an exchange for adsl. They don't even have access to other internet providers. Ridiculous. They tried satellite but it was useless.

Quote Originally Posted by HarvestMoon View Post
    In regards to this, most definitely. I live in an area where there is a severe lack of adsl ports. I have been trying to get an internet connection for 2 years to no avail. An NBN tower was due to be constructed in my area at the end of this year, which now according to Telstra is looking very unlikely.
    With 2 kids at school and as a uni student myself the internet is essential. It's complete and utterly ridiculous that the internet is so unattainable in some areas in this day and age.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app

3. The Following User Says Thank You to BigRedV For This Useful Post:

HarvestMoon  (17-03-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pegasus View Post
    I'm just absolutely shaking my head at even more of the placards there.

Do people really believe that we would have had faster reliable AFFORDABLE internet under the Labor NBN for the people that "really" need it? My suburb (35km from a capital city) wasn't even on the map for the next three years. People would still have had to pay subscription for the internet, so people like my step kids who were forever having their internet cut off from non payment of bills would still have missed out during their high school years.

The depictions of abbott being twerked by Murdoch, dressed up in a nappy, the sign saying Ditch the Drongo with his photo, calling him Taliban Tony or with a KFC sign photoshopped with his face saying FKD - what were these really achieving? Besides being defamatory. Were any of the people holding these placards the same ones at the rallies holding the ditch the witch signs? Are they any different?

I'm pretty against strikes and protest marches for all sorts of reasons, and prefer to show my displeasure and rally for change in all sorts of other ways.

So I just wish to state for the record I was just as much against the placards saying Ditch the Witch etc which were against Gillard.

I wonder whether any of these marches will actually bring about any real change or will just be a front page pic in the paper tomorrow then out of the media by the end of the week without achieving anything?
    http://www.theguardian.com/commentis...?commentpage=1

Part of my favourite paragraph from the article...

The marches have caused controversy within Australian politics, not merely because their anti-coalition sentiments have predictably inflamed the political right. In the Herald-Sun, Andrew Bolt hit peak froth to schedule, while the young Liberal ranks on Twitter have spent a sleepless night scanning rally photographs to demonise thousands of considered adults with one or two pictures of surly teenagers who bore unwisely-worded banners.

ETA - love this...
    Let the conservative media focus on the small number of outlandish and offensive signs...

Let them dismiss the actions of an estimated 120,000 thousand mums, dads, grandparents, workers, students, couples, singles and young people in the cities and regional Australia as extremist.

Let the Prime Minister smirk about the "only big rally in Sydney is the St Patrick's Day parade"....

Those that attended peaceful gatherings of progressive Aussies all over the country will only be emboldened by your dismissive sneering.
    Last edited by BigRedV; 17-03-2014 at 12:14.

Busy-Bee is offline Offending people since before Del :D
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    Whilst I'd like to think that the attention a few radical signs and people are getting is strange it serves the purpose of providing a greater profile to the radical end of those that participated thus trying to tar all with the same brush and dilute the efforts of the majority. I would estimate maybe 20ish% had signs, maybe less. The message of the vast majority of them said things like "Tony Abbot Must Go"; "No Confidence"; "Refugees Welcome"; pictures of Abbot with a line through his face; messages about climate change etc. The common thread for all the people that attended (with current estimate being 120,000 across the country) is their dismay, frustration, embarrassment, lack of support, horror and general dislike for the Abbott government.

On a lighter note and I think we all need to keep our sense of humour about these things - my favourite sign was the one that said "I'm so angry I made a sign".

The mood at the Brisbane protest was really uplifting. This was especially amazing given the heat we endured. It was very crowded and people were often bumping into each other or maneuvering in very close spaces and exchanges were gracious and polite. Great marching band joined us and people literally danced down the streets.

The main****** media coverage speaks volumes about its bias and definition of what is 'newsworthy'. Even the brisbanetimes.com.au's (Fairfax) coverage opened with "a man collapsed as part of protests...". They can't even get the name of it right for the Melbourne event calling it "March for March". Um, no it's "March IN March". It's only 3 words, 2 of them are the same and they can't even get it right.

There was no obvious main****** media present throughout the entire event in Brisbane.
    Last edited by Busy-Bee; 17-03-2014 at 15:29.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Busy-Bee For This Useful Post:

HarvestMoon  (17-03-2014),KaraB  (17-03-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Two points:
    1. Murdoch 'news' at its finest. Let's not report on objective facts (Over 100,000 giving up their weekend time to peacefully protest against the Abbot government) - let's report on the sensationalist stuff regardless if it were only a small minority.

2. Come someone please do this Sky journo's job for her? Heaven forbid she might want to do her own research.

10001577_607942442623951_1781126103_n.jpg

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Busy-Bee For This Useful Post:

BigRedV  (17-03-2014),HarvestMoon  (18-03-2014),KaraB  (17-03-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    My point is, in regard to the signs, for every sign that was a bit off, there were many many more that were not. Unfortunately, they don't make it to the media.

I like this one.
    science.jpeg

11. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Busy-Bee For This Useful Post:

Atropos  (17-03-2014),BigRedV  (17-03-2014),HappyBovinexx  (17-03-2014),HarvestMoon  (18-03-2014),JohnC  (17-03-2014),KaraB  (17-03-2014),RobinSparkles  (17-03-2014),snowqu33n  (19-03-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Quote Originally Posted by KaraB View Post

Best quote from that article
    What was most obvious is that they [main****** media] have nothing negative to say, so they have to create it. We were of course expecting this because this sort of biased media has in many ways spurred us on to March for transparency.
    The fact is that an estimate of over 100,000 people protested peacefully and respectfully. No anti-social behaviour reported. Main****** media can only focus on the minority, radical participants though and play up that aspect. I ask, who has shown more pride, class and dignity?

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Busy-Bee For This Useful Post:

Atropos  (17-03-2014),KaraB  (17-03-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnC View Post
    But that's not where we are with climate science, where most new data seems to indicate an acceleration of warming beyond the predictions of even a decade ago.
    What new data are you referring that shows an acceleration of warming?
    That seems quite remarkable to me, considering it has now been over 17 years with no statistically significant warming.
    I'm sure you will be able to find me some sources to back up such a claim.