Closed Thread
Page 77 of 99 FirstFirst ... 2767757677787987 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pegasus View Post
    What annoys me is the fact that I bet a lot of people have no idea what they think they're protesting about.

For instance - one child held a sign saying "asylum seekers younger than me are locked in detention". Okay - fair enough.

As we know - there were only 4 asylum seekers in detention when Labor came into power and since the libs came in, a greater number of asylum seekers have been released into the community or back to their home countries than have landed in Australia.

So is it a relevant placard to have when protesting the current government?

Another - a mother pushing a pram with a placard saying "Toddlers against Tony" - Seriously????

ETA: Another placard - the grandmother holding a placard saying "I have three daughters and Tony Abbott isn't a feminist". So? I'm a feminist. Should I be holding a placard saying I'm a feminist but Tony Abbott isn't?

All of the placards saying "We're unhappy" "Not confident" or whatever. If they're not saying something specific - what are they actually proving?

Someone who had photoshopped a pic of Abbott over Thatcher's head and it said "Tony Thatchbott We want our country back" Can someone expand on what that one is trying to say? Is it saying our country is being run like Thatcher ran the UK for 11+ years? That would make a lie out of all of the comments that he is a misogynist.
    The asylum seekers in detention issue is an issue that many in the community are unhappy with, so yes, it's definitely relevant IMO. It has nothing to do with what a former govt did or didn't do- it's happening now and many Australians don't want it to.

The feminism comment is relevant because a- Abbott appointed himself the minister for women and b- he recently claimed to be one ( http://www.dailylife.com.au/news-and...305-3467l.html ) This is a claim many are puzzled by or disagree with ImageUploadedByThe Bub Hub1394962489.550415.jpg

Toddlers against Tony is a bit vague. I could throw some ideas around but I think you'd have to speak to the lady in question

Saying we're unhappy is pretty self explanatory, I thought. They aren't happy with the government. Placards aren't really meant to prove anything- the proof is in the big numbers and widespread support- people aren't happy with the government and today- they showed that.

I can't explain the Thatchbott thing except to guess they are saying he is as unpopular/unloved as she was? I don't really see how one placard cancels out misogyny though

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    And this method of saying "I'm unhappy" will achieve what exactly? It won't bring about another election. Mind you, I'm now working on April 5 in WA where we are doing a portion of another election. LOL
    It might make him think how he can win votes.

I live in a very marginal seat, first time it's gone to libs in years, thanks to the local independent who wanted to live in a marginal seat so the community might finally get some attention from the federal government and nothing is happening. Yep, it's early days, but still.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRedV View Post
    Considering it hasn't been given much air time from Murdoch or most main****** tv, I don't think it's going to get much publicity there.

But if I was tony abbott and saw the majority of the protestors who were calm and civilised, showing how unimpressed they are with the government after only 6 months (most of which they've been behind in the polls) then I would seriously be reflecting on how to improve, or where I went wrong.
    I think that's the best we can hope for at this stage

SpecialPatrolGroup is offline T-rex is cranky until she gets her coffee.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    And this method of saying "I'm unhappy" will achieve what exactly? It won't bring about another election. Mind you, I'm now working on April 5 in WA where we are doing a portion of another election. LOL
    Not being a passive observer as a bad PM messes up this country would have been my motivation for going today, had DD not been sick.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SpecialPatrolGroup For This Useful Post:

Atropos  (16-03-2014),Busy-Bee  (16-03-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRedV View Post
    But if I was tony abbott and saw the majority of the protestors who were calm and civilised, showing how unimpressed they are with the government after only 6 months (most of which they've been behind in the polls) then I would seriously be reflecting on how to improve, or where I went wrong.
    I don't think he'll be doing anything of the sort. Millions voted against him at the last election. It would be no surprise that thousands would be upset by him being in government. It just so happens that the majority of the country actually did support him. He would be letting them down if he changed his stance now.

Busy-Bee is offline Offending people since before Del :D
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    Article here that addresses criticism of lack of uniformity of messages across the protests.

So more than 50 000 people marched across the country today, with 25 000 in Melbourne.

Firstly – a big congratulations to the organisers. To most ‘professional’ campaigners and media commentators confusion it seemed to be a genuinely grassroots movement – with a diverse range of folks organising events across the country.
    Oh no! No clear messaging! No uniform placards. No neat, singular storyline with key message points! Oh the horror – no line up of the same eminent speakers, or folks rolling out some serious EPN (extreme personal narrative).
    Good lord. THE PEOPLE ARE JUST ORGANISING IT THEMSELVES. They are making their own creative placards – it is MAYHEM!
    Perhaps that is a little unfair, but it can be frustrating to see the ‘professionals’ consistently sniping from the sidelines, with absolutely no chance in hell of mobilising 25 000 people for one of their events. Couldn’t we all look at it as a learning opportunity instead… what galvanised all these people? What resonated with them in a way other methods are not?
    And the whole multi issue thing? Well Duh, it is the government, stupid.
    This sick, foul, desperately unkind and mercenary government has done wrong to so many people, in such a short space of time, that there are a multitude of issues to talk about. Hence #marchinmarch
    There are certainly critiques to be made. But can we be constructive about this? Can we be a little kinder and say, ‘good on you’ to a bunch of inexperienced people who pulled together one of the biggest mobilisations this city (and country) has seen in ages?
    I don’t have a great deal of faith in rallies much of the time, but I do think they can be a useful tool. Certainly this got tens of thousands of people out on streets who made themselves heard, saw they were part of a bigger movement and who may have been exposed to new ideas and information, and might take the next step in their activism. Surely this is not a bad thing?
    I can’t pass judgement on the speakers as I couldn’t get close enough to hear them. How awesome!
    Stepping out of central station to a gridlocked crowd and not seeing anyone I knew for a good half hour – also an excellent feeling.
    The last time I had that experience… wondered what is going on here… and why I didn’t know many of the people involved in the organising… well, that was about the time of Occupy. And much as Occupy copped the same criticism of incoherent messages, it came about and spread like a grassfire because people…not your usual suspect people… but people from all walks of life, felt deeply and profoundly that there are huge things wrong in our world, that our society is deeply unjust and becoming moreso. And they wanted to do something about it.
    And that was one of my inspirations for deciding to focus full time on activist support – because I want to see the next opportunity that comes our way, flourish, and grow, and challenge the very foundations of this unbalanced society-as-economy we are told is our only option.
    Yes, can we please have better, clearer ‘asks’ or pathways for people to get involved. That definitely seems to be lacking in many of these mass marches. And yes, it would be great to use these numbers to be more defiant.
    We showed today we could shut down a city. And it wasn’t even planned for. Imagine if we organised, trained, reached out to all the new people to bring them with us. What if we demanded kindness, compassion, and justice, and actually held the ‘leaders’ accountable to us? What if we strategically targeted government, corporations, used mass non compliance, put levers in the machine, instead of allowing the cogs to keep turning?
    Me, that is what I am focusing on. Supporting people to train to be better, more effective activists, using powerful nonviolent action. You are welcome to join me. Or work out what your next steps are… but take those next steps. Because we need to, and we are all we have.
    What’s next?
    Some pics from today, but there are many more excellent ones out there.
    Nicola Paris ~ CounterAct (accompanied today by Luca the activist wonder dog)

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Busy-Bee For This Useful Post:

BigRedV  (17-03-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Father View Post
    I don't think he'll be doing anything of the sort. Millions voted against him at the last election. It would be no surprise that thousands would be upset by him being in government. It just so happens that the majority of the country actually did support him. He would be letting them down if he changed his stance now.
    By his own admission he can not be trusted to be consistent on his stance/elections promises anyway. Rather that being concerned about disappointing those that voted for him, perhaps he should concern himself with listening and doing what is right.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by SpecialPatrolGroup View Post
    By his own admission he can not be trusted to be consistent on his stance/elections promises anyway. Rather that being concerned about disappointing those that voted for him, perhaps he should concern himself with listening and doing what is right.
    Doing what is right? Are you the judge and jury as to what is right?
    I would say not disappointing those that voted for him would be doing what is right. Those people voted for him on his election promises - including stopping the boats. Why would he want to change his position and start the boats up again in order to make a minority happy??? Yes. Those that marched are the minority. You have to love democracy

Thanks
    Reviews
    At the Newcastle march, the following was said by one of its speakers:

Alan Joyce is "another person who should be shot somewhere in the back of the head".

I don't think talk like that does anything for your cause. I can sort of understand that you can't stop nutcases carrying offensive signs (I would like to think that some people tried), but one would have thought you can make sure your speakers aren't talking like that.
    Last edited by Father; 16-03-2014 at 21:34.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Father View Post
    Doing what is right? Are you the judge and jury as to what is right?
    That's rich!!!

I don't believe that I ever said that I am the judge and jury, but I suspect that you think that you are. I find your post offensive. I find it offensive that you seem to believe yourself and government, whose agenda you so doggedly push, to be so righteous even while continuing to deny the issues that are of importance to many. Maybe those many groups do not make up the majority, their interests still matter and should be considered in determining the direction of the government.

While we are talking about majority, what do the majority of climate scientists have to say about climate change? You seem to play the majority card as and when it suits you.

13. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to SpecialPatrolGroup For This Useful Post:

Anjalee  (17-03-2014),Atropos  (17-03-2014),BigRedV  (17-03-2014),HarvestMoon  (17-03-2014),spoon  (17-03-2014)