Closed Thread
Page 76 of 101 FirstFirst ... 2666747576777886 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Father View Post
    Yet millions voted for him.
    Everyone makes mistakes It should be noted though one votes for the party, not the person. Isn't that right?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRedV View Post
    Just read it was 12,000 in Sydney. Amazing effort.

I liked this article regarding penalty rates.

http://thehoopla.com.au/penalty-lost-sunday/
    Melbourne had even more. Fantastic! Hope they take note in Canberra.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I went today (Melbourne) and, whilst it was well behaved and well attended, I was annoyed at the number of splinter groups that tried to steal the day for themselves.

For example, I agree that the live exportation of stock animals is of great concern, trying to rally people to that cause rather than lending themselves to the overall purpose of today (sending Mr Abbott a message of No Confidence from the people) detracted rather than added to the message.

It was a bit of a rabble with many causes IMO

Busy-Bee is offline Offending people since before Del :D
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    I was there in Brisbane!! It was absolutely fantastic - extremely well organised. The estimate is a turnout of 10,000. The crowd walked down George street - the atmosphere was very positive! A brass band played along the way to the crowds cheering "hey hey, ho ho, Tony Abbott's got to go". We walked up Adelaide Street then down Edwards, into Margaret street with some nice loud singing outside parliament house. When we were walking up Margaret street we could see people were still walking up Ann street and we were by no means at the front of the crowd. No sign of rent-a-thugs or even a hint of any unsocial behaviour. Massive range of demographics too.

Estimate was 50,000 turnout in Melbourne.

I love this sign.
    1511598_677047045670015_374972491_n.jpg

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Busy-Bee For This Useful Post:

Atropos  (16-03-2014)

Mod-pegasus is offline ADMINISTRATOR
    and all that the Lorax left here in this mess was a small pile of rocks with the one word...UNLESS
    Thanks
    Reviews
    What annoys me is the fact that I bet a lot of people have no idea what they think they're protesting about.

For instance - one child held a sign saying "asylum seekers younger than me are locked in detention". Okay - fair enough.

As we know - there were only 4 asylum seekers in detention when Labor came into power and since the libs came in, a greater number of asylum seekers have been released into the community or back to their home countries than have landed in Australia.

So is it a relevant placard to have when protesting the current government?

Another - a mother pushing a pram with a placard saying "Toddlers against Tony" - Seriously????

ETA: Another placard - the grandmother holding a placard saying "I have three daughters and Tony Abbott isn't a feminist". So? I'm a feminist. Should I be holding a placard saying I'm a feminist but Tony Abbott isn't?

All of the placards saying "We're unhappy" "Not confident" or whatever. If they're not saying something specific - what are they actually proving?

Someone who had photoshopped a pic of Abbott over Thatcher's head and it said "Tony Thatchbott We want our country back" Can someone expand on what that one is trying to say? Is it saying our country is being run like Thatcher ran the UK for 11+ years? That would make a lie out of all of the comments that he is a misogynist.
    Last edited by Mod-pegasus; 16-03-2014 at 19:21.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    To me the march was simply about people demonstrating they are unhappy with the current government.

I could be wrong, that's my take on it.

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to BigRedV For This Useful Post:

Anjalee  (17-03-2014),Atropos  (16-03-2014),Busy-Bee  (16-03-2014)

and all that the Lorax left here in this mess was a small pile of rocks with the one word...UNLESS
    Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm just absolutely shaking my head at even more of the placards there.

Do people really believe that we would have had faster reliable AFFORDABLE internet under the Labor NBN for the people that "really" need it? My suburb (35km from a capital city) wasn't even on the map for the next three years. People would still have had to pay subscription for the internet, so people like my step kids who were forever having their internet cut off from non payment of bills would still have missed out during their high school years.

The depictions of abbott being twerked by Murdoch, dressed up in a nappy, the sign saying Ditch the Drongo with his photo, calling him Taliban Tony or with a KFC sign photoshopped with his face saying FKD - what were these really achieving? Besides being defamatory. Were any of the people holding these placards the same ones at the rallies holding the ditch the witch signs? Are they any different?

I'm pretty against strikes and protest marches for all sorts of reasons, and prefer to show my displeasure and rally for change in all sorts of other ways.

So I just wish to state for the record I was just as much against the placards saying Ditch the Witch etc which were against Gillard.

I wonder whether any of these marches will actually bring about any real change or will just be a front page pic in the paper tomorrow then out of the media by the end of the week without achieving anything?

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Mod-pegasus For This Useful Post:

Father  (16-03-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRedV View Post
    To me the march was simply about people demonstrating they are unhappy with the current government.

I could be wrong, that's my take on it.
    And this method of saying "I'm unhappy" will achieve what exactly? It won't bring about another election. Mind you, I'm now working on April 5 in WA where we are doing a portion of another election. LOL

SpecialPatrolGroup is offline T-rex is cranky until she gets her coffee.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    That is fine if rallys aren't your thing, don't go. I can't help but wonder though if people would be picking apart the content of some placards if said placards were in support of their agenda?

13. The Following User Says Thank You to SpecialPatrolGroup For This Useful Post:

Atropos  (16-03-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Considering it hasn't been given much air time from Murdoch or most main****** tv, I don't think it's going to get much publicity there.

But if I was tony abbott and saw the majority of the protestors who were calm and civilised, showing how unimpressed they are with the government after only 6 months (most of which they've been behind in the polls) then I would seriously be reflecting on how to improve, or where I went wrong.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to BigRedV For This Useful Post:

Atropos  (16-03-2014)