Closed Thread
Page 75 of 99 FirstFirst ... 2565737475767785 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnC View Post
    One should note in that regard that no one is alleging the content of the leaflet was either false or misleading.
    Which would be relevant to a defamation case as opposed to a racism case.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnC View Post
    he had no business commenting on this at all, since the pamphlet content falls under the jurisdiction of the state Electoral Act.
    I'm not sure why he commented. Was he asked a question by a reporter? Was he not supposed to answer a question?

Mod-pegasus is offline ADMINISTRATOR
    and all that the Lorax left here in this mess was a small pile of rocks with the one word...UNLESS
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    @JohnC

I wasn't speaking of the breach of the act of which Bolt was found guilty of in September 2011, I was referencing the opinion piece which BRV linked to earlier.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Father View Post
    Which would be relevant to a defamation case as opposed to a racism case.
    I think the real issue is a breach of the state Electoral Act in an attempt to reverse the likely result in a seat critical to Labor's retaining power. Alas for the Libs, they have no case, and they know it.

Quote Originally Posted by Father View Post
    I'm not sure why he commented. Was he asked a question by a reporter? Was he not supposed to answer a question?
    According to the Canberra Times, he called the press conference specifically for the purpose of addressing this issue (but I can't vouch for that).
    Last edited by JohnC; 16-03-2014 at 14:39. Reason: add second quote

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pegasus View Post
    I wasn't speaking of the breach of the act of which Bolt was found guilty of in September 2011, I was referencing the opinion piece which BRV linked to earlier.
    There is a huge amount of uninformed commentary on this issue. The place to start in understanding the operation of the Act is its actual interpretation by the courts, which means getting to grips with the Bolt case. Very usefully, the judge provided this summary which really should be read by anyone seeking to understand the operation of this law.

But since few people will actually click this link, let me make a few points.

The law is not about "making racist comments", but has a very specific construction which actually sets a fairly high bar for conviction. So, for instance, whether people are likely to have been offended etc, has been determined by the well-established "reasonable person" test by the judge, not simply testimonials by the complainants.

Second, there is a comprehensive defence available (18D), which is common to most speech laws, as follows:

Section 18C does not render unlawful anything said or done reasonably and in good faith:

(a) in the performance, exhibition or distribution of an artistic work; or

(b) in the course of any statement, publication, discussion or debate made or held for any genuine academic, artistic or scientific purpose or any other genuine purpose in the public interest; or

(c) in making or publishing:

(i) a fair and accurate report of any event or matter of public interest; or

(ii) a fair comment on any event or matter of public interest if the comment is an expression of a genuine belief held by the person making the comment.
    Third, the judge found:
    I have not been satisfied that the offensive conduct that I have found occurred, is exempted from unlawfulness by section 18D. The reasons for that conclusion have to do with the manner in which the articles were written, including that they contained errors of fact, distortions of the truth and inflammatory and provocative language. (emphasis added)
    While 18C has become a cause celebre among conservatives, I have yet to read an articulation of their position that has genuine merit. In short, it's all a giant dog-whistle.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to JohnC For This Useful Post:

Atropos  (16-03-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    http://www.buzzfeed.com/jennaguillau...you-goosebumps

Thousands of Australians showed their displeasure with our current government today at March in March

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Atropos For This Useful Post:

Tainted  (16-03-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Atropos View Post

Thousands of Australians showed their displeasure with our current government today at March in March
    ImageUploadedByThe Bub Hub1394955830.948831.jpg

Thanks
    Reviews

Yet millions voted for him.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts

Just read it was 12,000 in Sydney. Amazing effort.

I liked this article regarding penalty rates.

http://thehoopla.com.au/penalty-lost-sunday/
    Last edited by BigRedV; 16-03-2014 at 18:16.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to BigRedV For This Useful Post:

Atropos  (16-03-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews

Quite a civilised bunch.

Hey. But at least there wasn't a sign that had the word 'witch' on it! These are much better.

Even the speakers were full of class.

Emcee Matt Wakefield, a Sydney comedian, warmed up the crowd with a reference to the ‘‘shameful, racist, homophobic...f--king a--hole that is Tony Abbott’’.