Closed Thread
Page 66 of 101 FirstFirst ... 1656646566676876 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Father View Post
    I would just like to give them a little more credit.
    I'm sure you would . But consider that not taking some sensible, humane steps such as closing down the mainland detention centres may have more to do with playing to the xenophobia of a segment of their base than sober policy calculation.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to JohnC For This Useful Post:

BigRedV  (11-03-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SpecialPatrolGroup View Post
    I just don't understand why you are hell bent on giving credit to a government that is openly peddling secrecy and a lack of compassion. You like so many other people in this country seem to revel in keeping people in need away from our country. It makes me sad.
    Quite the opposite. I want to bring those in need TO our country. Those people who don't have a cent to their name to afford airfares and boat trips who have been waiting in camps for years. I have said that many times. I would rather take 20,000 from camps overseas than I would take 13,000 of those who pay people smugglers.

Is that not compassionate? Does that view make you sad?

SpecialPatrolGroup is offline T-rex is cranky until she gets her coffee.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quite the opposite. I want to bring those in need TO our country. Those people who don't have a cent to their name to afford airfares and boat trips who have been waiting in camps for years. I have said that many times. I would rather take 20,000 from camps overseas than I would take 13,000 of those who pay people smugglers.

Is that not compassionate? Does that view make you sad?
    I think that your insistance that money is the defining characteristic of "need" in this discussion demonstrates an ignorance of the true nature of persecution.

But that is just going back over old ground.

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to SpecialPatrolGroup For This Useful Post:

Atropos  (11-03-2014),beebs  (11-03-2014),BigRedV  (11-03-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think that your insistance that money is the defining characteristic of "need" in this discussion demonstrates an ignorance of the true nature of persecution.

But that is just going back over old ground.
    I am not saying they are less persecuted. But money gives people options. Those poor people in camps have absolutely no options. So yes, they are more 'needy'. And I would rather offer my hand to those MOST in need who cannot help themselves.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I am not saying they are less persecuted. But money gives people options. Those poor people in camps have absolutely no options. So yes, they are more 'needy'. And I would rather offer my hand to those MOST in need who cannot help themselves.
    So now our govermnent has locked them in camps and taken their options.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SpecialPatrolGroup For This Useful Post:

beebs  (11-03-2014),BigRedV  (15-03-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    So now our govermnent has locked them in camps and taken their options.
    Not really. The previous government did that. The current government is turning them around, so I guess they can use whatever extra cash they have to pick another destination.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Not really. The previous government did that. The current government is turning them around, so I guess they can use whatever extra cash they have to pick another destination.
    I'm sorry but I find your glib "take your money and go somewhere else" really contradicts your claim that you have compassion or your previous claims that you are concerned for safety. But I see that you are as firmly committed to your position as I am so I am going disengage for now.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SpecialPatrolGroup For This Useful Post:

beebs  (11-03-2014),BigRedV  (11-03-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    I'm sorry but I find your glib "take your money and go somewhere else" really contradicts your claim that you have compassion or your previous claims that you are concerned for safety. But I see that you are as firmly committed to your position as I am so I am going disengage for now.
    The truth comes out in the end...they don't care about these people. Despite claims of being loving, caring Christians, true colours are coming through.

Perhaps they could resettle these people as skilled migrants. Since they've got so much money, they must have had reasonably well paid and skilled jobs back home, which means they must be well educated.
    Last edited by BigRedV; 11-03-2014 at 04:36.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to BigRedV For This Useful Post:

beebs  (11-03-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRedV View Post
    The truth comes out in the end...they don't care about these people. Despite claims of being loving, caring Christians, true colours are coming through.
    I am so terribly sorry if I have offended anyone by wanting Australia to help those that are the most needy. Those being persecuted whom have no money, no options, no hope, and stuck in a camp. Those with tens of thousands can choose any destination and are not as needy as those who cannot. Sorry again. Very heartless of me.

Much better to let those with money in, kill 4% of them through drowning, and leave those refugees in those other camps around the world for someone else to deal with. We can't take them all, so let's just take the ones with money. Yep, that is true compassion for you. It's something that I will have to try and work on. I'm a little confused at the moment.
    Last edited by Father; 11-03-2014 at 05:27.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Father For This Useful Post:

VicPark  (11-03-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I am so terribly sorry if I have offended anyone by wanting Australia to help those that are the most needy. Those being persecuted whom have no money, no options, no hope, and stuck in a camp. Those with tens of thousands can choose any destination and are not as needy as those who cannot. Sorry again. Very heartless of me.

Much better to let those with money in, kill 4% of them through drowning, and leave those refugees in those other camps around the world for someone else to deal with. We can't take them all, so let's just take the ones with money. Yep, that is true compassion for you. It's something that I will have to try and work on. I'm a little confused at the moment.
    So do you agree then that the current cap on those coming from camps should be raised? What is the percentage, I wonder, of people dying because we don't take more from camps?

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Atropos For This Useful Post:

beebs  (11-03-2014)