Closed Thread
Page 65 of 101 FirstFirst ... 1555636465666775 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnC View Post
    Now that the boats appear to have stopped, I see no reason why Morrison wouldn't put the people in closed detention centres on the mainland on bridging visas, allowing them both Newstart and the right to work while their applications for refugee status are dealt with. Better for everyone and v cheaper.
    I don't mind the idea of that at all, but I guess the boats have not stopped completely. There is still a people smuggling trade taking place as boats are still attempting to depart. A move like the one you suggest may weaken the stance of the government and give the smugglers some more willpower to continue. I would wait until the boats and trade was stopped completely, and then only do that quietly in the background - not make an announcement to the world (or the Greens) or it may start the thing up again.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    http://www.factsfightback.org.au/doe...eck-the-facts/
    The countries in the first category are where "refugee camps" are located. Pretty much none of these countries (eg Turkey, Jordan, Lebanon) resettle, ie offer residency or the right to work, to the refugees on their soil, who in some cases have been living in camps for decades (this applies particularly to Palestinians).

The countries in the second category are the developed world countries that run humanitarian programs which offer recognised refugees permanent residency and full resettlement benefits.

eta: From the same fact sheet: "Of the countries where refugees have resettled between 1993 and 2012, the top 10 countries were United States (1,359,533), Canada (221,013), Australia (211,240), Sweden (36,367), Norway (25,974), Denmark (17,489), New Zealand (13,425), Finland (12,854), Netherlands (7,238) and United Kingdom (5,813). "

I don't think Australia has anything to be ashamed of in this regard.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Father View Post
    I don't mind the idea of that at all, but I guess the boats have not stopped completely. There is still a people smuggling trade taking place as boats are still attempting to depart. A move like the one you suggest may weaken the stance of the government and give the smugglers some more willpower to continue. I would wait until the boats and trade was stopped completely, and then only do that quietly in the background - not make an announcement to the world (or the Greens) or it may start the thing up again.
    First, those in closed detention are not just pawns in a political chess game, they are people whose mental health and social adaptability will continue to deteriorate the longer they are kept in such conditions.

Second, since govt policy is that no person arriving by boat will set foot on the mainland, ever, "no exceptions", I do not see how adopting a more humane policy for those who are already here will "weaken the stance of the government".

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JohnC For This Useful Post:

Atropos  (10-03-2014),beebs  (11-03-2014)

Mod-pegasus is offline ADMINISTRATOR
    and all that the Lorax left here in this mess was a small pile of rocks with the one word...UNLESS
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I'm confused, as far as I can tell, that link provides the information John posted. Have I missed something?

Beebs - there wasn't an over run of refugees when labor were in power, there were a lot more detention centers open with greater numbers of refugees housed in detention centers

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Mod-pegasus For This Useful Post:

Father  (10-03-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    The fact sheet I quoted was from the Refugee Council of Australia, the prime advocacy group for refugees.

Obviously, countries geographically adjacent to war zones have the most refugees, whom they put in camps and do not resettle or even allow residency.

Resettlement is pretty much the exclusive preserve of (some) wealthier nations. And the figures show Australia has a pretty good record in that regard.

But ultimately the preferred solution to the refugee problem is re-establishing security and human rights in the source countries, which would allow repatriation. That's the position of the UNHCR.

Thanks
    Reviews
    First, those in closed detention are not just pawns in a political chess game, they are people whose mental health and social adaptability will continue to deteriorate the longer they are kept in such conditions.

Second, since govt policy is that no person arriving by boat will set foot on the mainland, ever, "no exceptions", I do not see how adopting a more humane policy for those who are already here will "weaken the stance of the government".
    No one said it was a chess game. It is a very tough policy area. Everyone repeatedly said that Abbott and Morrison could not 'stop the boats'. It now appears that they have done what was deemed impossible. I would just like to give them a little more credit. It definitely looks like they know what they are doing, and I'm sure when the situation allows, they will begin emptying the detention centres. Weren't there only 4 people in detention when Labor took government? I would hope that that would make everyone in this debate happy.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Father For This Useful Post:

mrsoptomistic  (10-03-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Who's watching qanda?

Thanks
    Reviews
    This government support freedom of speech, but not freedom of information!

Awesome tweet.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to BigRedV For This Useful Post:

beebs  (11-03-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRedV View Post
    This government support freedom of speech, but not freedom of information!

Awesome tweet.
    Ignorant tweet. We have classified information for a reason. Would you like the government to release all Secret and Top Secret information?

I see you ignored the peak numbers from 2013. This is above Labor's cap. And would not allow us to accept any less fortunate refugees from any of the camps around the world.

SpecialPatrolGroup is offline T-rex is cranky until she gets her coffee.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Father View Post
    No one said it was a chess game. It is a very tough policy area. Everyone repeatedly said that Abbott and Morrison could not 'stop the boats'. It now appears that they have done what was deemed impossible. I would just like to give them a little more credit. It definitely looks like they know what they are doing, and I'm sure when the situation allows, they will begin emptying the detention centres. Weren't there only 4 people in detention when Labor took government? I would hope that that would make everyone in this debate happy.
    I just don't understand why you are hell bent on giving credit to a government that is openly peddling secrecy and a lack of compassion. You like so many other people in this country seem to revel in keeping people in need away from our country. It makes me sad.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to SpecialPatrolGroup For This Useful Post:

beebs  (11-03-2014)