Closed Thread
Page 64 of 99 FirstFirst ... 1454626364656674 ... LastLast
    Mod-pegasus is offline ADMINISTRATOR
    and all that the Lorax left here in this mess was a small pile of rocks with the one word...UNLESS
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by WorkingClassMum View Post
    No, I said every family group I came across has some anomalies in their paperwork - and I would be amazed if your family also did not have some anomaly - and my comment was in direct reply to yours - see it how you may but please don't bother twisting my words.

As for caps and quoto's I am utterly amazed that virtually every other developed country can accept far higher numbers by sheer numbers, as compared to GDP, as compared to land mass, as compared per head of population than Australia can - and I am ashamed of our hard nosed treatment of Aslyum seekers. For example there has been 2.5 million people leave Syria. Turkey example, has taken in some 400,000plus of those - there are 1500plus or so people crossing Turkey's border every day and Turkey seems to somehow be supporting and processing them.
    I think that deciding the number of refugees which can be accepted and resettled according to GDP may be shortsighted. Australia is a country which has a vast amount of it's land pretty much uninhabitable.

I have no idea as to the answer, but understand that the problem is bigger than what is supposed to be the wealth of the country. Our farmers are currently struggling to supply food from the land they have, due to drought conditions in certain areas.

I think it's time for me to look further into other countries methods that they resettle refugees, as this seems to be a major argument as to why Australia should accept more refugees. (from this thread at least)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pegasus View Post
    I think it's time for me to look further into other countries methods that they resettle refugees, as this seems to be a major argument as to why Australia should accept more refugees. (from this thread at least)
    Not as straightforward as it seems .

For "asylum seekers recognised as refugees", Australia comes in 32nd on a per capita basis and 48th on GDP basis. (Countries at the top of this list tend to have borders contiguous with war zones).

But for "refugee resettlement" Australia is 2nd on both a per capita and GDP basis (Canada is first).

Data from this fact sheet provided by the Refugee Council of Australia.

Mod-pegasus is offline ADMINISTRATOR
    and all that the Lorax left here in this mess was a small pile of rocks with the one word...UNLESS
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Thanks for that John, resettlement is a very significant statistic.

So where are other countries holding refugees they have not yet settled? Is the discrepancy between refugees accepted and refugees resettled due to other countries an indication they are taking more than they can handle?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Father View Post
    I'm glad Beebs agrees that detention in those circumstances is legitimate.
    You are twisting my words to suit your agenda. Providing that they pass a criminal check I think asylum seekers and refugees should be housed in the community.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by pegasus View Post
    Thanks for that John, resettlement is a very significant statistic.

So where are other countries holding refugees they have not yet settled? Is the discrepancy between refugees accepted and refugees resettled due to other countries an indication they are taking more than they can handle?
    The countries in the first category are where "refugee camps" are located. Pretty much none of these countries (eg Turkey, Jordan, Lebanon) resettle, ie offer residency or the right to work, to the refugees on their soil, who in some cases have been living in camps for decades (this applies particularly to Palestinians).

The countries in the second category are the developed world countries that run humanitarian programs which offer recognised refugees permanent residency and full resettlement benefits.

eta: From the same fact sheet: "Of the countries where refugees have resettled between 1993 and 2012, the top 10 countries were United States (1,359,533), Canada (221,013), Australia (211,240), Sweden (36,367), Norway (25,974), Denmark (17,489), New Zealand (13,425), Finland (12,854), Netherlands (7,238) and United Kingdom (5,813). "

I don't think Australia has anything to be ashamed of in this regard.
    Last edited by JohnC; 10-03-2014 at 14:52. Reason: add historic resettlement

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JohnC For This Useful Post:

Father  (10-03-2014),Mod-pegasus  (10-03-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by beebs View Post
    You are twisting my words to suit your agenda. Providing that they pass a criminal check I think asylum seekers and refugees should be housed in the community.
    So those that arrive after the cap has been reached will be housed in the community??? So the cap that was determined to be the maximum number of people we can legitimately accept is now overrun by more people living in community housing? Do you not see the problem here?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I guess this proves that this is a massive problem that can't be solved just by us. And it certainly can't be solved by putting people in detention right? This needs to be sorted out by the whole world, not just Australia.

PS, where are all these people overrunning the country? Even when Labor were in charge, there wasn't overflow into the streets - so they obviously were't as terrible as you make them out to be.

QUOTE=Father;7692395]So those that arrive after the cap has been reached will be housed in the community??? So the cap that was determined to be the maximum number of people we can legitimately accept is now overrun by more people living in community housing? Do you not see the problem here?[/QUOTE]

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Even in the peak year 2012, there were 17202 asylum seekers arriving by boat. Still short of the 20k it was increased to.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRedV View Post
    Even in the peak year 2012, there were 17202 asylum seekers arriving by boat. Still short of the 20k it was increased to.
    2013 was the peak year, with 20587 arriving. I guess you should have looked a bit harder.
    https://www.refugeecouncil.org.au/r/stat-as.php

Not short of the 20k at all.

The rate of increase has been marked since 2009. That rate of increase was unsustainable without there being a change in policy.

Beebs, you are still unable to answer the issue as to what you do with those who arrive over the cap. How is putting these people in community housing sustainable? What housing would you use? How long would they be there for?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Father View Post
    Beebs, you are still unable to answer the issue as to what you do with those who arrive over the cap. How is putting these people in community housing sustainable? What housing would you use? How long would they be there for?
    Now that the boats appear to have stopped, I see no reason why Morrison wouldn't put the people in closed detention centres on the mainland on bridging visas, allowing them both Newstart and the right to work while their applications for refugee status are dealt with. Better for everyone and v cheaper.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to JohnC For This Useful Post:

beebs  (11-03-2014)