Closed Thread
Page 60 of 99 FirstFirst ... 1050585960616270 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    Your stance that is somehow about the safety of these people is disingenuous. I just see it as a higher order and more carefully crafted version of the **** off we're full mentality.... oh but it's about the safety of these people.... who we then send back to their own countries to be even more unsafe. They just die in their own country as opposed to our waters... which in itself could be partially stopped by allowing them to come. Doesn't make a whole lot of sense and imo is very transparent.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to delirium For This Useful Post:

beebs  (08-03-2014),KaraB  (08-03-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by delirium View Post
    Well obviously we can't take *everybody* in the world. We don't have the space or resources to feed billions of people. I'm failing to see this point of questioning anyway - do you think bc we can't sustain billions we should therefore only take 13500?
    Thankyou for acknowledging that we cannot take everybody. That is all that I was after. This point seems to be missed by asylum seeker advocates who oppose any form of detention or deterrence measures.

Once one realises that there has to be a limit, the question then needs to be asked - what do you do with those that exceed that limit?
    People who oppose the current policy setting are not able to answer that question - and I challenge you to do so. You cannot talk your way out of solving that problem. There must be an action that takes place when that limit is reached. To continue to ignore that problem is just burying your head in the sand in the vain hope that it never comes to that. The rapid increase in arrivals over the Rudd/Gillard era shows how substantial 'pull' factors are, it the numbers would be bound to continually increase to the point where that 'limit' is reached.

So my follow up question - what would you do with those that arrive after the limit has been reached? I hope that you can actually try and answer that question without diverting.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Father For This Useful Post:

mrsoptomistic  (08-03-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    In an ideal world we would assist in making their home countries safe, with adequate food, shelter, water and getting rid of corruption and bad guys. We're spending resources anyway, it solves the issue people have with "we're full".
    So that's my answer to the question if we capped it what would we do next.
    Only issue is If home countries became inhabitable due to climate issues.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Oh so she doesn't identify as Christian therefore must be an atheist? How'd you work that one out? Last I checked there were lots of other religions...

Quote Originally Posted by Father View Post
    I would say they are. But what would I know, I'm not an atheist who follows the opinion of some members of the Uniting Church.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    You've been asked this over and over. So the boats are stopping here. Where are they? Are the people safe? Are they going to have a good life?

Stop tiptoeing around the issues with your little red herrings, first it is Thatcher and then trying to figure out if BRV is a Christian. Answer the questions!

Back to the historic levels that they have been for the last decade you mean? Australia cannot help the entire planet. We are doing a great deal to help those that need help, but over recent years, those people have unfortunately been neglected due to people helping themselves. We have gone through this many times.
    You on the other hand, with your higher levels of compassion, would rather have those poor people stuck in camps around the world with no hope whilst those with money drown at sea. Great plan.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Backflips only count if they are done by Labor

Quote Originally Posted by BigRedV View Post
    Oh, and that's not *my* number.

That is the number the previous government put in place, which tony abbott agreed to in opposition, now done a backflip!

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to beebs For This Useful Post:

Atropos  (08-03-2014),Busy-Bee  (08-03-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Correct me if I am wrong, but you actually are considered Catholic forever unless you are ex-communicated aren't you. If that is the case, hello fellow Christian

I find the posts of today regarding Christians to be quite interesting. Correct me if I am wrong, but none have actually been Christians, yet all seem to look up to and respect Christian teachings. It is great to hear people talking about Christianity with such respect and admiration. There should be more of that I think. Keep it up.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I answered the questions way back. I said, of course we need a cap - but that we can do better, we can take more at this point in time. And we should.

Do you remember me saying this?

Or this back at post #212.

I don't need an exact figure. The figure could be 1 million.
    My question is: Do we need a cap or can we accept everyone.

It did not 'bypass' at all. My post back at #146.

So I'll ask again. Do we need to have a cap or can we take everybody? Simple question.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by beebs View Post
    You've been asked this over and over. So the boats are stopping here. Where are they? Are the people safe? Are they going to have a good life?

Stop tiptoeing around the issues with your little red herrings, first it is Thatcher and then trying to figure out if BRV is a Christian. Answer the questions!
    I have. But I'll do it again if I must.

The boats leaving Indonesia in reduced numbers. 'Asylum seekers' are now not flying into Malaysia and Indonesia as much. I do not know where they are going, but my guess is they probably aren't leaving their home country. Are they safe? If they haven't left, then I would have to assume - yes they are. If they are in danger, they would flee to any country, not just Australia. Are they having a good life? Not as good as in Australia, no country in the world is.
    As an example. Why did the 'asylum seeker' who died at Manus flee from his home country? Was he not an architect who was looking for a job in Australia?

Quote Originally Posted by beebs View Post
    Answer the questions!
    Good of you to demand me answer the same question again. Maybe some one (maternidade excluded) can answer mine. Since we have acknowledged that there is a limit as to how many refugees we can accept, what can we do to those that arrive who are above the limit?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by maternidade View Post
    In an ideal world we would assist in making their home countries safe, with adequate food, shelter, water and getting rid of corruption and bad guys. We're spending resources anyway, it solves the issue people have with "we're full".
    So that's my answer to the question if we capped it what would we do next.
    Only issue is If home countries became inhabitable due to climate issues.
    I would suggest that we are already doing what you say through foreign aid. As do most first world countries. If it were that easy, the problem would have been solved centuries ago.

Climate issues? Which country are you concerned about becoming inhabitable and for what reason?

Remember, we were supposed to have already had 50 million 'climate refugees' by 2010. So far, we still have a grand total of 0. Possibly 1 bloke who has given it a shot. Not sure about the result of his case.