Closed Thread
Page 59 of 101 FirstFirst ... 949575859606169 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Father View Post
    I find the posts of today regarding Christians to be quite interesting. Correct me if I am wrong, but none have actually been Christians, yet all seem to look up to and respect Christian teachings. It is great to hear people talking about Christianity with such respect and admiration. There should be more of that I think. Keep it up.
    lol Father you are so passive aggressive. I may be atheist now but I was raised and educated Catholic.

Homophobia, racism, misogyny and a general belief in abandoning the most disadvantaged in favour or benefiting the most wealthiest is not what Jesus taught.... but then I think most christian religions have strayed from his core beliefs anyway.

It's kind of sad that most lefties aren't religious, yet while we don't believe in god or that Jesus was divine, we are more 'christian' than those that call themselves that.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to delirium For This Useful Post:

beebs  (08-03-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    No, you don't have ANY answers. You cannot repeatedly complain about how bad a policy is but yet have idea yourself.
    The reason why I keep coming back with this question if vitally important. It highlights the illogical and irrational view of those who despise the current government's policy. I'll let you off a number, but can you accept that there needs to be a cap of refugees per year? Or do you honestly think that we can take all who ask? Can you please answer me that?
    I can disagree with the treatment of these people.

I despised kevin rudd's policy as well, or are you only annoyed because now I disagree with the current government?

4. The Following User Says Thank You to BigRedV For This Useful Post:

beebs  (08-03-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRedV View Post
    I despised kevin rudd's policy as well, or are you only annoyed because now I disagree with the current government?
    Bingo!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to delirium For This Useful Post:

beebs  (08-03-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    We are a secular country! No prayer, bible, Quran etc. has any place in our parliament.
    Well, you'll need a referendum to change the constitution then too. Good luck with that!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I can disagree with the treatment of these people.

Which one? When he scrapped the Pacific Solution? Or when he tried to reintroduce a solution to fix what he broke?

Actually, don't worry about answering those questions, I would rather you stop ignoring the one that matters.

Here it is again:

I'll let you off a number, but can you accept that there needs to be a cap of refugees per year? Or do you honestly think that we can take all who ask? Can you please answer me that?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Maybe someone else can answer on BigRedV's behalf? I didn't think it was that hard of a question.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Maybe someone else can answer on BigRedV's behalf? I didn't think it was that hard of a question.
    Again with demanding the cap? Father - you seem a fairly intelligent guy. I for one clearly outlined why it would be very difficult for a lay person to set an exact figure, in detail. This question is a red herring and has been answered by several people already. You are deliberately trying to shift the focus by demanding a subjective figure which you know we can't give, and are then using that as 'proof' our argument is flawed. You in turn were asked for an exact figure... which you have bypassed.

We are never ever going to agree. It just won't happen. You love Abbott and support anything he puts forward bc he's a lib. We dislike Abbott and find his policies offensive. Never the twain will meet and all that.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to delirium For This Useful Post:

beebs  (08-03-2014),KaraB  (08-03-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Quote Originally Posted by delirium View Post
    Why are you getting bogged down in demanding people give you an exact figure rather than addressing the points people are making? How can we give an exact figure given we, and you, aren't privy to a whole range of facts and figures on the numbers we can handle? I don't work for the dept of immigration, nor am I Finance Minister. What is your figure? and can you back it up with concrete figures and facts why that exact number is right?

Bottom line is, despite being on of the wealthiest nations on earth we are something like 50th in the world for how many refugees we take. We are hardly swamped. Until I'm made finance minister, I'm unsure of numbers, but I will say we can take more than we do.
    Remember me saying this?

13. The Following User Says Thank You to delirium For This Useful Post:

beebs  (08-03-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Again with demanding the cap? Father - you seem a fairly intelligent guy. I for one clearly outlined why it would be very difficult for a lay person to set an exact figure, in detail. This question is a red herring and has been answered by several people already. You are deliberately trying to shift the focus by demanding a subjective figure which you know we can't give, and are then using that as 'proof' our argument is flawed. You in turn were asked for an exact figure... which you have bypassed.
    Do you remember me saying this?

I'll let you off a number, but can you accept that there needs to be a cap of refugees per year? Or do you honestly think that we can take all who ask? Can you please answer me that?
    Or this back at post #212.

I understand your point, but by that, I would assume that you agree that there has to be a cap? I am not so much interested in what the actual number is, but the recognition of the requirement for a cap.
    I don't need an exact figure. The figure could be 1 million.
    My question is: Do we need a cap or can we accept everyone.

You in turn were asked for an exact figure... which you have bypassed.
    It did not 'bypass' at all. My post back at #146.

Historically, it has been around 13500 each year, the majority of which were from UNHCR camp. I'm happy with that. I would just like those that we take to be the ones in most need, ie. those that have been waiting a substantial period of time in a refugee camp without any money, rather than those with tens of thousands who use the services of people smugglers.
    So I'll ask again. Do we need to have a cap or can we take everybody? Simple question.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    So I'll ask again. Do we need to have a cap or can we take everybody? Simple question.
    Well obviously we can't take *everybody* in the world. We don't have the space or resources to feed billions of people. I'm failing to see this point of questioning anyway - do you think bc we can't sustain billions we should therefore only take 13500? Personally I think that's extremely low, we are very low on the list of helping refugees to settle here in comparison with the rest of the world. Although heaven forbid England or NZ had a catastrophic event or civil war the Abbott govt would be bending over backwards to take them - no jumping on boats and risking their lives needed.

I think it's dependent on a whole range of things. Unemployment rates, do we move them to urban or country? How are we fairing in any given financial year? What is our birth rate like? is there a particular skill subset we are really needing or not really needing at all?

So my stance is that it may vary from year to year or decade to decade.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to delirium For This Useful Post:

beebs  (08-03-2014)