Closed Thread
Page 51 of 101 FirstFirst ... 41495051525361 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Father View Post
    I think you are a little sensitive if you are dwelling on the use of such expressions.
    Conroy's attack on Campbell was also in poor taste. It happens.
    At least conroy withdrew his comment. Abbott didn't.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Did Margaret Thatcher get the same treatment?
    Erm, yes!!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Ellewood For This Useful Post:

beebs  (06-03-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by beebs View Post
    Er - for someone who prides himself on always being right and knowing so much, you are missing the mark a bit in this thread. Of course Margaret Thatcher got similar treatment - ALL women in positions of power do...always - here are some;

She was asked - "Did I realise how much being an MP would keep me away from home?" Thatcher wrote in her autobiography, recalling some of the questions she faced. "Could I fulfil my duties as a mother and an MP?" - M. Thatcher

"Do you dress as a leader, as a woman, for yourself or for your husband?" —Barry St John Nevill, reporter with the Hornsey Journal.

"My God! The ***** has won!" —the vice-chairman of the Conservative Party, upon Thatcher becoming the party's leader.

"Ditch the *****." —A popular Labour party slogan.

"Shrill and hectoring." —Peter Mandelson, the Labour Party's Communications
    Director, on Thatcher's "first ever televised performance in the Commons."

"In her presence, you pretty quickly forget that she's a woman. She doesn't strike me as a very female type." —Zbigniew Brzezinski.

"The Iron Man." —Yasser Arafat's nickname for Thatcher.

"Attila the Hen." —Nickname for Thatcher by member of Parliament Clement Freud.

"It's been a touching spectacle: the brave little woman getting on with the woman's work of trying to dominate the world." —Austin Mitchell, member of Parliament

"She has the eyes of Caligula but the mouth of Marilyn Monroe." —French president Francois Mitterand.

"What does she want, this housewife? My balls on a tray?" —French president Jacques Chirac.

Also, you are someone trying to infer that she didn't get that kind of treatment because she was not incompetent (all though she clearly did get that treatment). Have you ever actually spoken to anyone from the UK/Ireland - like ever? Done any reading? Seen the lasting (ludicrously bad) legacy that she has left behind? Been to the UK?
    Well my wife is from there. And her entire family, so I guess the answer would be....... yes.

Would you say that Gillard was treated worse, better, or about the same as Thatcher?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Would you say that Gillard was treated worse, better, or about the same as Thatcher?
    What's the relevance?

Thanks
    Reviews
    ALL women in positions of power do...always
    The GG?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Atropos View Post
    What's the relevance?
    What's the relevance of Bolt's opinion of everything?

Apparently, all women in positions of power and hounded by sexism.
    Did Thatcher ever complain that she was a target of sexism?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Jeez, how old are you Father? I'm really not sure, who was treated worse - but I wouldn't be surprised if was Thatcher due to the fact that it was the 70s when she first became Prime Minister and back then sexism was even worse than it is today. I don't remember personally due to me only being little at the time.

Well my wife is from there. And her entire family, so I guess the answer would be....... yes.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    What's the relevance of Bolt's opinion of everything?

Apparently, all women in positions of power and hounded by sexism.
    Did Thatcher ever complain that she was a target of sexism?
    I don't know Father, you brought him into this!
    Likewise you've brought thatcher into it. One of the quotes beebs posted was from Thatcher about sexist questioning. Why don't you go look it up? It's not relevant to this govt in the slightest which is what this thread is about, yeah?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Jeez, how old are you Father? I'm really not sure, who was treated worse - but I wouldn't be surprised if was Thatcher due to the fact that it was the 70s when she first became Prime Minister and back then sexism was even worse than it is today. I don't remember personally due to me only being little at the time.
    I think that is a pretty valid assumption. But was she in fact treated worse despite it being decades ago? Did she ever complain of sexism against her?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger
    I think that is a pretty valid assumption. But was she in fact treated worse despite it being decades ago? Did she ever complain of sexism against her?
    Just because she didn't complain doesn't mean it didn't happen.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DJ Nette For This Useful Post:

beebs  (06-03-2014),Busy-Bee  (06-03-2014)