Closed Thread
Page 51 of 101 FirstFirst ... 41495051525361 ... LastLast
Results 501 to 510 of 1001
  1. #501
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    my house
    Posts
    17,698
    Thanks
    1,391
    Thanked
    7,288
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Father View Post
    I think you are a little sensitive if you are dwelling on the use of such expressions.
    Conroy's attack on Campbell was also in poor taste. It happens.
    At least conroy withdrew his comment. Abbott didn't.

  2. #502
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    3,525
    Thanks
    1,890
    Thanked
    2,539
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Father View Post
    Did Margaret Thatcher get the same treatment?
    Erm, yes!!

  3. The Following User Says Thank You to Ellewood For This Useful Post:

    beebs  (06-03-2014)

  4. #503
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    2,603
    Thanks
    126
    Thanked
    267
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by beebs View Post
    Er - for someone who prides himself on always being right and knowing so much, you are missing the mark a bit in this thread. Of course Margaret Thatcher got similar treatment - ALL women in positions of power do...always - here are some;

    She was asked - "Did I realise how much being an MP would keep me away from home?" Thatcher wrote in her autobiography, recalling some of the questions she faced. "Could I fulfil my duties as a mother and an MP?" - M. Thatcher

    "Do you dress as a leader, as a woman, for yourself or for your husband?" —Barry St John Nevill, reporter with the Hornsey Journal.

    "My God! The ***** has won!" —the vice-chairman of the Conservative Party, upon Thatcher becoming the party's leader.

    "Ditch the *****." —A popular Labour party slogan.

    "Shrill and hectoring." —Peter Mandelson, the Labour Party's Communications
    Director, on Thatcher's "first ever televised performance in the Commons."

    "In her presence, you pretty quickly forget that she's a woman. She doesn't strike me as a very female type." —Zbigniew Brzezinski.

    "The Iron Man." —Yasser Arafat's nickname for Thatcher.

    "Attila the Hen." —Nickname for Thatcher by member of Parliament Clement Freud.

    "It's been a touching spectacle: the brave little woman getting on with the woman's work of trying to dominate the world." —Austin Mitchell, member of Parliament

    "She has the eyes of Caligula but the mouth of Marilyn Monroe." —French president Francois Mitterand.

    "What does she want, this housewife? My balls on a tray?" —French president Jacques Chirac.


    Also, you are someone trying to infer that she didn't get that kind of treatment because she was not incompetent (all though she clearly did get that treatment). Have you ever actually spoken to anyone from the UK/Ireland - like ever? Done any reading? Seen the lasting (ludicrously bad) legacy that she has left behind? Been to the UK?
    Well my wife is from there. And her entire family, so I guess the answer would be....... yes.

    Would you say that Gillard was treated worse, better, or about the same as Thatcher?

  5. #504
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    8,806
    Thanks
    7,267
    Thanked
    9,720
    Reviews
    5
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Father View Post
    Would you say that Gillard was treated worse, better, or about the same as Thatcher?
    What's the relevance?

  6. #505
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    2,603
    Thanks
    126
    Thanked
    267
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by beebs View Post
    ALL women in positions of power do...always
    The GG?

  7. #506
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    2,603
    Thanks
    126
    Thanked
    267
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Atropos View Post
    What's the relevance?
    What's the relevance of Bolt's opinion of everything?

    Apparently, all women in positions of power and hounded by sexism.
    Did Thatcher ever complain that she was a target of sexism?

  8. #507
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    10,012
    Thanks
    14,124
    Thanked
    7,612
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Jeez, how old are you Father? I'm really not sure, who was treated worse - but I wouldn't be surprised if was Thatcher due to the fact that it was the 70s when she first became Prime Minister and back then sexism was even worse than it is today. I don't remember personally due to me only being little at the time.


    Quote Originally Posted by Father View Post
    Well my wife is from there. And her entire family, so I guess the answer would be....... yes.

    Would you say that Gillard was treated worse, better, or about the same as Thatcher?

  9. #508
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    8,806
    Thanks
    7,267
    Thanked
    9,720
    Reviews
    5
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Father View Post
    What's the relevance of Bolt's opinion of everything?

    Apparently, all women in positions of power and hounded by sexism.
    Did Thatcher ever complain that she was a target of sexism?
    I don't know Father, you brought him into this!
    Likewise you've brought thatcher into it. One of the quotes beebs posted was from Thatcher about sexist questioning. Why don't you go look it up? It's not relevant to this govt in the slightest which is what this thread is about, yeah?

  10. #509
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    2,603
    Thanks
    126
    Thanked
    267
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by beebs View Post
    Jeez, how old are you Father? I'm really not sure, who was treated worse - but I wouldn't be surprised if was Thatcher due to the fact that it was the 70s when she first became Prime Minister and back then sexism was even worse than it is today. I don't remember personally due to me only being little at the time.
    I think that is a pretty valid assumption. But was she in fact treated worse despite it being decades ago? Did she ever complain of sexism against her?

  11. #510
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    1,186
    Thanks
    481
    Thanked
    1,049
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger
    Quote Originally Posted by Father View Post
    I think that is a pretty valid assumption. But was she in fact treated worse despite it being decades ago? Did she ever complain of sexism against her?
    Just because she didn't complain doesn't mean it didn't happen.

  12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DJ Nette For This Useful Post:

    beebs  (06-03-2014),Busy-Bee  (06-03-2014)


 

Similar Threads

  1. Be honest ,have you/do you.....
    By MonsterMoosMum in forum General Chat
    Replies: 64
    Last Post: 01-09-2013, 08:42
  2. Be honest, have you?
    By MonsterMoosMum in forum General Chat
    Replies: 61
    Last Post: 17-08-2013, 11:30
  3. Be honest! How much did you pay for your dog?
    By Janesmum123 in forum Pets
    Replies: 79
    Last Post: 30-11-2012, 07:51

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
free weekly newsletters | sign up now!
who are these people who write great posts? meet our hubbub authors!
Learn how you can contribute to the hubbub!

reviews
learn how you can become a reviewer!

competitions

forum - chatting now
christmas gift guidesee all Red Stocking
Riverton Leisureplex
An Extreme Family Pass at Riverton Leisureplex is the ultimate way to cool off during the summer school holidays. The $30 Pass allows pool and waterslide access for 2 adults and 2 children, as well as a drink, popcorn and an icy pole for each person.
sales & new stuffsee all
True Fairies
True Fairies is the first interactive website where children can engage and speak with a real fairy through the unique webcam fairy portal. Each session is tailored to the child, and is filled with enchantment and magic.
Visit website to find out more!
featured supporter
Shapland Swim Schools
Semi private learn to swim classes for a maximum of 3 children in specialized heated teaching pools. Our swim schools are located across Brisbane, Ipswich and the Sunshine Coast, ensuring there's a school near you.
gotcha
X

Pregnant for the first-time?

Not sure where to start? We can help!

Our Insider Programs for pregnancy first-timers will lead you step-by-step through the 14 Pregnancy Must Dos!