Closed Thread
Page 49 of 99 FirstFirst ... 39474849505159 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    You come across as a fairly smart man, I find it utterly inconceivable that you are trying to make excuses for Abbott's and others treatment of Gillard. I don't even like Gillard, and even I can see that she was targeted because she was a woman. Maybe it is just one of those things you will never get, because you aren't one.

I've come out of that whole thing realising that as a girl you can be anything you want it Australia - expect the Prime Minister, I wouldn't wish that kind of treatment on my worst enemy.

As for Abbott and what he said about her Father's death. If that had of been any other work place he would have been disciplined for his actions. Totally and utterly unacceptable, mean, spiteful, hateful. I could go on. And some people are still defending what he said? What the ef is wrong with some people.

Quote Originally Posted by Father View Post
    Part of our democracy allows people to contact their MPs. By him sending politicians emails like that would do absolutely nothing for his credibility, and would most likely be counter productive as MPs would completely disassociate with him.
    I really don't see what your point is. Yes, he drew some inappropriate cartoons and sent them on. Would you like me to search the internet for Abbott haters and provide some pictures of equal or greater distaste? This thread itself contained an image of Abbott's head as male genitalia. I'm sure there are much much more out there on the internet. But it seems that any vilification like that will be defended through the 'but people were sexist against Gillard' comment. Cartoons are one thing. Death threats are another. And when death threats are broadcast (not as a news story, but entertainment) on the ABC courtesy of the taxpayer, then something is seriously wrong. But hey, its not sexist so I guess it doesn't matter.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to beebs For This Useful Post:

Ellewood  (06-03-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Father View Post
    Part of our democracy allows people to contact their MPs. By him sending politicians emails like that would do absolutely nothing for his credibility, and would most likely be counter productive as MPs would completely disassociate with him.
    I really don't see what your point is. Yes, he drew some inappropriate cartoons and sent them on. Would you like me to search the internet for Abbott haters and provide some pictures of equal or greater distaste? This thread itself contained an image of Abbott's head as male genitalia. I'm sure there are much much more out there on the internet. But it seems that any vilification like that will be defended through the 'but people were sexist against Gillard' comment. Cartoons are one thing. Death threats are another. And when death threats are broadcast (not as a news story, but entertainment) on the ABC courtesy of the taxpayer, then something is seriously wrong. But hey, its not sexist so I guess it doesn't matter.
    My point is that pickering's almost daily emails to all MPs was politically motivated and sexist. Gwar in the other hand are known for gore and defiling important figures as part of their show- if Rudd had been successful last election then I have no doubt it would have been his effigy decapitated on their stage.
    I have not defended their actions nor I have said they are excusable because Gillard was subjected to gender based harassment and discrimination.
    My point is that *Andrew Bolt* is outraged on behalf of Abbott but didn't give two hoots about the *vast majority* of harassment and discrimination Gillard was subjected to often based in nothing more than her gender or hair colour. So that says to me (as does his use of terms like 'the gender card' clearly intended to belittle and blame victims of such treatment) that we have a classic double standard. If Bolt doesn't like PM's being threatened and harassed and vilified on social media, that should apply to ALL PMs- not just the male or liberal ones. Makes him even harder to take seriously for many people

Eta- death threat as entertainment??! Are you referring to the Gwar performance as a death threat??? I agree it was poor taste- but it certainly wasn't a threat!!
    Last edited by Atropos; 06-03-2014 at 09:16.

Mod-pegasus is offline ADMINISTRATOR
    and all that the Lorax left here in this mess was a small pile of rocks with the one word...UNLESS
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by beebs View Post
    As for Abbott and what he said about her Father's death. If that had of been any other work place he would have been disciplined for his actions. Totally and utterly unacceptable, mean, spiteful, hateful. I could go on. And some people are still defending what he said? What the ef is wrong with some people.
    Abbott didn't say it. That's why he wasn't disciplined

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Mod-pegasus For This Useful Post:

Father  (06-03-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Of course, you are right - that was Alan Jones.

Abbott only said things to Gillard such as "make an honest woman of herself". He was photographed in front of protest signs denouncing the Prime Minister as a "*****" and "witch". And he said that "abortion is the easy way out" for women, and also women were "physiologically unsuited to leadership".

Phew - they are all SO much better than what Alan Jones said. Not.

Quote Originally Posted by pegasus View Post

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to beebs For This Useful Post:

Atropos  (06-03-2014),Ellewood  (06-03-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pegasus View Post
    True. He was thrown out of parliament that time for heckling her though.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Atropos For This Useful Post:

Ellewood  (06-03-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    http://www.fasterlouder.com.au/news/...-death-threats

"The incidents created a storm of controversy across main****** and social media, and even elicited an amusing/baffling op-ed from a group called the Australians for Constitutional Monarchy. On a more serious note, the band have received “numerous” death threats, with “one wishing them all to die a fiery death in a bus crash”."

It seems lib supporters have actually made death threats to Gwar! I hope no one here condones *that* sort of behaviour!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    No, tony abbott didn't make the original comment, but he did make a reference in parliament not long after saying the government "should die of shame." Tasteless, tacky, unnecessary.

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to BigRedV For This Useful Post:

Atropos  (06-03-2014),beebs  (06-03-2014),Ellewood  (06-03-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    It seems death threats to anyone but tony abbott are ok. Two of us posted several links earlier in the thread about death threats made to other politicians, Julia Gillard included.

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to BigRedV For This Useful Post:

Atropos  (06-03-2014),beebs  (06-03-2014),Ellewood  (06-03-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRedV View Post
    It seems death threats to anyone but tony abbott are ok. Two of us posted several links earlier in the thread about death threats made to other politicians, Julia Gillard included.
    Most definitely not.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRedV View Post
    No, tony abbott didn't make the original comment, but he did make a reference in parliament not long after saying the government "should die of shame." Tasteless, tacky, unnecessary.
    Was that because she was a woman? Or because the government was incompetent?