Closed Thread
Page 48 of 101 FirstFirst ... 3846474849505898 ... LastLast
Results 471 to 480 of 1001
  1. #471
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    2,603
    Thanks
    126
    Thanked
    267
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRedV View Post
    For fear of being sued
    He was referring to being sued regarding the slush fund case.
    Re-read the bolded statement above.

    Did you even read the link I provided for context?

  2. #472
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    8,806
    Thanks
    7,267
    Thanked
    9,720
    Reviews
    5
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Father View Post
    He was referring to being sued regarding the slush fund case.
    Re-read the bolded statement above.

    Did you even read the link I provided for context?
    Direct question here f- again- did you actually read Anne Summers' speech that I and others have linked to you more than once?

  3. #473
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    2,603
    Thanks
    126
    Thanked
    267
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Atropos View Post
    Direct question here f- again- did you actually read Anne Summers' speech that I and others have linked to you more than once?
    Yes.

  4. #474
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    8,806
    Thanks
    7,267
    Thanked
    9,720
    Reviews
    5
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Father View Post
    Yes.
    So you've read about Pickering's emails to parliament, Abbott's habit of sotto voce commentary in parliament, the social media campaigns against Gillard using gender based slurs (inc the Facebook group that described her as "an oxygen thief" while posting violent imagery and sexually based images to mock and incite people against Gillard) and all the other examples she sites.
    Andrew Bolt tried to distance himself from Pickering while still calling him courageous. He disapproved on Alan Jones nasty comments. Ok. Where was his outrage for the fb groups? The nasty emails? The derisive way Gillard was described by some? The sexist treatment at the hands of Abbott and co?

    He had nothing to say, I guess, because it didn't bother him. That's his view, to which he is entitled, sure. But when PM Gillard faced much of the same treatment and often worse and much of it unremarked on by Bolt... I guess I personally don't take his views or concerns all that seriously. The Gwar stunt he took out of context to make it that bit more sensational. He's a journalist- 2 mins googling would have given him the background on what kinds of performances they're well known for. Poor taste? Sure. Massive political statement? Nope.

  5. #475
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    2,603
    Thanks
    126
    Thanked
    267
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Atropos View Post
    The Gwar stunt he took out of context to make it that bit more sensational. He's a journalist- 2 mins googling would have given him the background on what kinds of performances they're well known for. Poor taste? Sure. Massive political statement? Nope.
    2 minutes googling Larry Pickering would have given you the background on what kind of cartoons he is well known for. Poor taste? Sure. Massive political statement? Nope.

  6. #476
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    10,012
    Thanks
    14,124
    Thanked
    7,612
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    No, the part where he said this government is not interested in Australian people or Australian jobs. Hehe.

    Quote Originally Posted by Father View Post
    Which bit? When he was saying that they need to be rid of the carbon tax to help QANTAS survive?

  7. #477
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    8,806
    Thanks
    7,267
    Thanked
    9,720
    Reviews
    5
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Father View Post
    2 minutes googling Larry Pickering would have given you the background on what kind of cartoons he is well known for. Poor taste? Sure. Massive political statement? Nope.
    Then why was he emailing them to parliament?

    Eta- from Anne Summers' speech

    "What she did not say is that for many months now Pickering has bombarded not just her but every member of federal parliament and every senator on almost a daily basis with emails containing hate-filled commentary about Gillard. Often these commentaries have been accompanied by cartoons, many of which – like the one I have shown – depict Gillard naked and wearing a huge strap-on d1ldo.

    Pickering was infamous back in the days when he was cartoonist for The Australian for producing annual calendars in which all the (then all male) politicians had extremely long penises that were used to supposedly entertaining effect. It seems that Pickering cannot envisage a prime minister without a penis – so he had to give Gillard a strap-on. When Facebook (where he publishes some of his material), forced him to stop drawing her this way, be started depicting her with a dildo thrown over her shoulder.[19]

    I have seen many examples of these emails – shown to me by MPs – and I know (1) that they go to every member and senator and (2) they contain vile and disgusting images of our political leaders, most often Julia Gillard and, until his resignation from Parliament, Bob Brown."
    Last edited by Atropos; 05-03-2014 at 21:42.

  8. #478
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    2,603
    Thanks
    126
    Thanked
    267
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Atropos View Post
    Then why was he emailing them to parliament?

    Eta- from Anne Summers' speech

    "What she did not say is that for many months now Pickering has bombarded not just her but every member of federal parliament and every senator on almost a daily basis with emails containing hate-filled commentary about Gillard. Often these commentaries have been accompanied by cartoons, many of which – like the one I have shown – depict Gillard naked and wearing a huge strap-on d1ldo.

    Pickering was infamous back in the days when he was cartoonist for The Australian for producing annual calendars in which all the (then all male) politicians had extremely long penises that were used to supposedly entertaining effect. It seems that Pickering cannot envisage a prime minister without a penis – so he had to give Gillard a strap-on. When Facebook (where he publishes some of his material), forced him to stop drawing her this way, be started depicting her with a dildo thrown over her shoulder.[19]

    I have seen many examples of these emails – shown to me by MPs – and I know (1) that they go to every member and senator and (2) they contain vile and disgusting images of our political leaders, most often Julia Gillard and, until his resignation from Parliament, Bob Brown."
    Part of our democracy allows people to contact their MPs. By him sending politicians emails like that would do absolutely nothing for his credibility, and would most likely be counter productive as MPs would completely disassociate with him.
    I really don't see what your point is. Yes, he drew some inappropriate cartoons and sent them on. Would you like me to search the internet for Abbott haters and provide some pictures of equal or greater distaste? This thread itself contained an image of Abbott's head as male genitalia. I'm sure there are much much more out there on the internet. But it seems that any vilification like that will be defended through the 'but people were sexist against Gillard' comment. Cartoons are one thing. Death threats are another. And when death threats are broadcast (not as a news story, but entertainment) on the ABC courtesy of the taxpayer, then something is seriously wrong. But hey, its not sexist so I guess it doesn't matter.

  9. #479
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    2,603
    Thanks
    126
    Thanked
    267
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by beebs View Post
    No, the part where he said this government is not interested in Australian people or Australian jobs. Hehe.
    Well. Joyce is an expert in keeping Australian jobs. He is entitled to his opinion, but it really doesn't mean much in the current situation. He will say anything to a handout from the taxpayer.

  10. #480
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    10,012
    Thanks
    14,124
    Thanked
    7,612
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    What's your point? I was just pointing out it was funny- because if Joyce was eligible to vote in Australia you can bet your bottom dollar he would have voted for the Libs.

    I love how you just can't sit back and have a laugh the Liberal party. Even I can laugh at the parties I vote for -like all the time. You are a bit too invested Father, they are only politicians after all and plenty of people still like them, it's all ok!


    Quote Originally Posted by Father View Post
    Well. Joyce is an expert in keeping Australian jobs. He is entitled to his opinion, but it really doesn't mean much in the current situation. He will say anything to a handout from the taxpayer.

  11. The Following User Says Thank You to beebs For This Useful Post:

    Ellewood  (06-03-2014)


 

Similar Threads

  1. Be honest ,have you/do you.....
    By MonsterMoosMum in forum General Chat
    Replies: 64
    Last Post: 01-09-2013, 08:42
  2. Be honest, have you?
    By MonsterMoosMum in forum General Chat
    Replies: 61
    Last Post: 17-08-2013, 11:30
  3. Be honest! How much did you pay for your dog?
    By Janesmum123 in forum Pets
    Replies: 79
    Last Post: 30-11-2012, 07:51

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
free weekly newsletters | sign up now!
who are these people who write great posts? meet our hubbub authors!
Learn how you can contribute to the hubbub!

reviews
learn how you can become a reviewer!

competitions

forum - chatting now
christmas gift guidesee all Red Stocking
Tambo Teddies
Visit our online store and select your individually handmade natural sheepskin teddy bear. Our soft and loveable bears come in a range of styles and colours. Created in Outback Queensland each bear is unique individual. 100% Australian made!
sales & new stuffsee all
The Health Hub
Give a new mum a fitness boost for Christmas & New Year. Studio-based, small group training sessions - cardio, strength, core, Pilates & boxing. Choice of 16 hrs per week, flexible-arrival feature - bubs & kids welcome! Gift vouchers available.
featured supporter
Tribalance
TriBalance is a physio, yoga & pilates studio in Brisbane's inner north, offering specialised women's health physiotherapy services. Weekly pregnancy yoga classes are scheduled at the studio on Thursdays 1- 2pm and Saturdays 1-2:15pm.
gotcha
X

Pregnant for the first-time?

Not sure where to start? We can help!

Our Insider Programs for pregnancy first-timers will lead you step-by-step through the 14 Pregnancy Must Dos!