Closed Thread
Page 42 of 101 FirstFirst ... 3240414243445292 ... LastLast
    Busy-Bee is offline Offending people since before Del :D
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    Quote Originally Posted by Father View Post
    I guess it felt like that was the case to you as you are sensitive to such topics. I would suggest that your statistical analysis is not very realistic though. I have quite quickly some up with some examples of Abbott hatred, including numerous death threats. Can you find 2 death threats against Gillard? I'm not asking for 10, just 2.
    Or do you honestly think that calling someone a witch is worse than wanting a person beheaded???
    http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/dea...-1226073953258

http://thehoopla.com.au/top-10-insul...julia-gillard/
    This link includes this delightful quote - not a specific death threat, more a death suggestion:
    10. “(Australians)… ought to be out there kicking her to death.” Grahame Morris (former John Howard staffer turned lobbyist) Sky News. April 2012
    Looks like your beloved News Ltd trod a fine line:
    http://blogs.crikey.com.au/purepoiso...julia-gillard/

That was a 5 min google search.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    I minimised the treatment of Gillard because I did not find it as bad as the hatred against those on the conservative side of politics. But, at least I said when things were inappropriate.
    People never talked about Gillard like they have Abbott (already, I might add). I never saw anyone put on a stage show decapitating her. Or facebook pages devoted to her assassination. Or t-shirts being sold via the main****** media with foul language on it (which I would not even want my kids to see).
    No she was just called a red headed witch, had it said her husband was gay, constantly laughed at by Abbott, and made an idiot of with sexual innuendos at lib dinners. The list goes on. But Gillard needed to be more thick skinned and stop complaining about her treatment. But poor Tony. All these feral lefties picking on him.

For the record, I don't condone this sort of rubbish on either side of politics. I think Abbott is by far the worst performing leader in our history but I don't believe signs that he should be decapitated adds to the fight against his extreme right wing decisions. it weakens it. But your summation that the attacks on him are worse, is simply opinion.

So I'm not condoning it. But I found it interesting you had a 'suck it up' approach to Gillard saying nothing was gender motivated (when imo it was), yet you are feeling sorry for Abbott bc he's now copping it.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to delirium For This Useful Post:

HappyBovinexx  (27-02-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    She might not as an individual. But Fairfax was advertising her shirts for free. And yes, Fairfax has sway.
    Oh, but it's dwindling, isn't it?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Thanks for providing them. I hadn't heard of the Grahame Morris comment before. It was obviously inappropriate. That and Alan Jones chaff bag.

The others really aren't much at all though. Talking about her jacket?
    The telling link that you provided is this one.

One single comment out of 1600, when compared to the facebook page which is 100% devoted to that same comment.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    She might not as an individual. But Fairfax was advertising her shirts for free. And yes, Fairfax has sway.
    So you complain when it's Fairfax advisertise these shirts but defend News Ltd (which has a significantly higher portion of readership) who blatantly and obviously used their power to ensure an LNP victory?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Busy-Bee View Post
    http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/dea...-1226073953258

http://thehoopla.com.au/top-10-insul...julia-gillard/
    This link includes this delightful quote - not a specific death threat, more a death suggestion:

Looks like your beloved News Ltd trod a fine line:

That was a 5 min google search.
    Do you share the same computer as BigRedV

So I'm guessing that 5 min google search was all there was, that the two of you could only provide the same links.

Would you care to dedicate 5 minutes searching google and replace 'gillard' with 'Abbott' and see what you come up with?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

I really don't think I need to read anything about feminism. The hypocrisy displayed here is enough.
    Did you even read the link I provided you earlier? The Dr Anne Summers speech? Do you REALLY think what happened to Julia was ok because in your opinion, Tony has it worse?

Look at it like this, with the possible exception of the photoshopped penis head photo, (which I'm not convinced is gender based as I have heard that particular term aimed at a woman and more than once) all the vitriol aimed at Abbott is because people are really unhappy with his policies and what he, as PM, is doing to our country and in our name.

While it's true that many felt similarly about some of Gillard's policies etc- many simply could not handle the fact that she was the most powerful person in the country- and a woman. This was evidenced by the language used toward her and about her, the way she was discussed (I'm yet to hear about Abbott's jacket choices on serious occasions) and the way her relationship was largely dismissed and dissected.

As I said, it's not a competition. It's true Abbott is spoken of poorly- but it's not because he is a man. I don't think anyone is actually defending threats against him either- I don't see any hypocrisy here except from you. It was fine by you for Gillard to be abused, harassed, threatened and discriminated against- but when Abbott, who perpetrated some of that treatment against Gillard, gets a taste of the same medicine, you are up in arms.

And as a feminist, I can tell you, from reading many of your posts and observing the way you often speak to members here- you would greatly benefit from learning more about feminism.

9. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Atropos For This Useful Post:

beebs  (01-03-2014),HappyBovinexx  (27-02-2014),snowqu33n  (27-02-2014),Stiflers Mom  (28-02-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Also, @Father you never answered me about Andrew Bolt. Did he ever blog his horror at the obvious mistreatment of Julia Gillard?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    The others really aren't much at all though. Talking about her jacket?
    Again, you miss the point and are either showing trolling tendencies and/or ignorance of feminism. When has the wardrobe/hairstyle etc of a male politician or political figure become a point for discussion? Yes, there is the Abbott speedo carry on but that is due to a lack of clothing/near nakedness of him. Male politicians are judged on effectiveness/decision making/leadership/ability to articulate etc, female politicians are judged on hairstyle, clothing choice, lipstick, attractiveness before anything else.

Please stop trying to dismiss this issue. At the risk of sounding like a broken record, I recommend you read or study an introduction to feminism.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Busy-Bee For This Useful Post:

Atropos  (27-02-2014),HappyBovinexx  (27-02-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by delirium View Post
    No she was just called a red headed witch, had it said her husband was gay, constantly laughed at by Abbott, and made an idiot of with sexual innuendos at lib dinners. The list goes on.
    It doesn't go on much further than that though.

Quote Originally Posted by delirium View Post
    So I'm not condoning it. But I found it interesting you had a 'suck it up' approach to Gillard saying nothing was gender motivated (when imo it was), yet you are feeling sorry for Abbott bc he's now copping it.
    I'm glad that you can say that. It appears others on here can't bring themselves to say the same.

But I think you have me wrong. I just recently posted this:

Will Abbott complain? No, I don't think that he will and I hope that he doesn't. I would like to think that he is above the petty name calling and ridicule. Unfortunately, Gillard regularly played the victim card in the hope that it would distract people from her actual incompetence.
    So I am saying the same. He should 'suck it up' too. And I think that he will.
    The only reason I was posted those was to highlight the hypocrisy. I personally find it weak to have to rely on such comments. It does nothing for an argument, just diminishes it. So name call away, but don't then complain when someone calls you, or someone you like, a name.