Closed Thread
Page 40 of 99 FirstFirst ... 3038394041425090 ... LastLast
    Mod-pegasus is offline ADMINISTRATOR
    and all that the Lorax left here in this mess was a small pile of rocks with the one word...UNLESS
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post
    Yeah it's pretty crap. I was being sarcastic .... (Need to figure out how to do a sarcastic smiley face on my I phone).
    Usually works for me...

: rolleyes : (remove spaces)

Mod-pegasus is offline ADMINISTRATOR
    and all that the Lorax left here in this mess was a small pile of rocks with the one word...UNLESS
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRedV View Post
    I haven't seen anyone create a vulgar menu for a labor party fundraiser. And I also haven't heard of any shock jocks being sacked for asking inappropriate questions to tony abbott.
    Give them time - he's only been in the job for 5months....

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pegasus View Post
    Give them time - he's only been in the job for 5months....
    I don't think any right wing shock jocks will be asking tony abbott any difficult questions. These are really the only shows he goes on because they're all mates and we know where their political loyalties lie.

How anyone can listen to has believe Alan jones is beyond me considering he's failed liberal preselection 5 times, I think it's pretty obvious who he voted for.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    So is a very sexist based slur like this worse or on a par with the sexist based slur for Gillard?

It's easy to say Gillard was targeted due to her gender because of a few slurs which were sexist, but was it the truth?

None of this type of derogatory comment is okay (IMO), but does the presence of sexist slurs against a male prime minister illustrate that it does go both ways?
    I find that image really off putting. But is it sexist or is it an illustration, however crude, of a word that's is commonly used to describe an incompetent person, male or female? I don't know.

Read the link I posted to Father for an insight into what happened to Gillard. It was a lot more than "a few slurs" and it is well documented and corroborated by many others- it's not a lie.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Atropos View Post
    I find that image really off putting. But is it sexist or is it an illustration, however crude, of a word that's is commonly used to describe an incompetent person, male or female? I don't know.
    Of course its sexist. I have never heard a female called that name. But there are obviously two standards at play here. Will Abbott complain? No, I don't think that he will and I hope that he doesn't. I would like to think that he is above the petty name calling and ridicule. Unfortunately, Gillard regularly played the victim card in the hope that it would distract people from her actual incompetence.
    Last edited by Father; 27-02-2014 at 18:57.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Atropos View Post
    Some examples of what members of the public thought was appropriate to say to the PM
    http://jezebel.com/5949925/australia...net-qa-session
    They were not appropriate. But..... Abbott, in the short time he has been PM has already received much much worse. Including a dedicated facebook page about how he should be assassinated. A main****** newspaper, The Age, endorsing the sale of t-shirts that say "F**k Tony Abbott". A band decapitating 'him' on stage. Banners during protests with his head a noose.

Comments such as these on a foxtel facebook page.

It is one thing to be sexist and call names. It is completely different spewing such hatred and wanting an elected PM assassinated or beheaded.
    Last edited by Father; 27-02-2014 at 19:03.

Busy-Bee is offline Offending people since before Del :D
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    F, for every random person spewing gender based/inciting hate vile regarding Abbott on the internet there would be 10x + that Gillard faced some of which was from her peers. No I can't prove it, but I happen to read and have an understanding of gender inequalities in western society.

Using the slang words for genitals to describe people derogatory is not new but it's a different issue. Think about this for a moment, would you rather be called a d*ck or a c*unt? What is worse? A d*ck is used to describe someone as being a bit of an idiot whilst a c*nt is used to describe someone as being very nasty. Personally I don't like using either terms. Language is extraordinarily powerful.

I strongly suggest you take a course or read some books that give you an introduction to feminism - it might give you a better understanding of gender inequality and politics. I'm a strong believer in the adage - seek first to understand.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Busy-Bee For This Useful Post:

JungleMum  (27-02-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Usually works for me...

: rolleyes : (remove spaces)

11. The Following User Says Thank You to VicPark For This Useful Post:

Mod-pegasus  (28-02-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    The difference is those are idiot nobodies on a Facebook page, or some b grade band, not Alan Jones who has a lot of sway in the community.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=hsaVpepMyA8

Did you ever see the hideous things written about Julia Gillard on fb?
    Last edited by BigRedV; 27-02-2014 at 19:29.