Closed Thread
Page 37 of 101 FirstFirst ... 2735363738394787 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Father View Post
    I hope that none of you endorse this sort of Abbott hate.

http://blogs.news.com.au/heraldsun/a...hat_cried_ove/
    The band's stunt? No. I don't. I don't like his politics and from what I have seen and read, I do not like him personally, but I don't endorse this sort of thing at all.
    The treatment of Julia Gillard at the hands of Abbott and co as well as certain parts of the media was abhorrent- this is in line with that behaviour.

Th F*** Abbot tee shirt, on the other hand, while vulgar in terms of language, is indicative of a general dislike for Abbot in terms of what he has done as PM. I don't have a problem with that as it isn't threatening him, or inciting others to perhaps do so. I don't object to anyone expressing their dissatisfaction with the govt but it should not contain threats- implied or direct.

ETA- Just a bit of info regarding the band GWAR- Gwar is a satirical thrash metal band formed in Richmond, Virginia in 1984. The band is well known for its elaborate science fiction/horror film inspired costumes,obscene lyrics and graphic stage performances, which feature humorous enactments of politically and morally taboo themes.
    Last edited by Atropos; 24-02-2014 at 21:40.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    @Father out of interest and to save me trawling through his blog, did Bolt ever express his horror at the sexist and disgusting treatment received by Gillard during her term?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Rose&Aurelia View Post
    I keep hoping that the idiots that voted him in have now realised how stupid he is.

But then again idiots rarely know they are idiots.

wifey of hubby who is always away. mother of two girls who are always amusing.
    Oh, it seems people are beginning to realise.

ImageUploadedByThe Bub Hub1393266085.588012.jpg

ImageUploadedByThe Bub Hub1393266098.308568.jpg

ImageUploadedByThe Bub Hub1393266123.172785.jpg

You'll have to excuse the images, I had to do a screen shot really quickly before it blocked me for not being a subscriber to newspaper.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to BigRedV For This Useful Post:

Rose&Aurelia&Hannah  (25-02-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Busy-Bee View Post
    http://mobile.abc.net.au/news/2014-0...centre/5280412

No words.

In summary: Acting head of Manus Island Detention Centre is a former Sri Lankan Military Commander. There's 30 Tamil refugees detained there fleeing torture from the same Sri Lankan army.
    Just awful. Gobsmacked when I read that.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Busy-Bee View Post
    http://mobile.abc.net.au/news/2014-0...centre/5280412

No words.

In summary: Acting head of Manus Island Detention Centre is a former Sri Lankan Military Commander. There's 30 Tamil refugees detained there fleeing torture from the same Sri Lankan army.
    Perhaps it's part of a smart strategy to 'stop the boats'? You know if we catch the boats, we will send people back into the arms of their perpetrators....

??

Thanks
    Reviews
    Another orange life boat has been taken back to Indonesian coast. But a boat didn't arrive here, so I guess it means the boats have stopped?
    Last edited by BigRedV; 25-02-2014 at 07:49.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to BigRedV For This Useful Post:

beebs  (25-02-2014)

Busy-Bee is offline Offending people since before Del :D
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post
    Perhaps it's part of a smart strategy to 'stop the boats'? You know if we catch the boats, we will send people back into the arms of their perpetrators....

??
    I don't think so - I don't think it would be common knowledge who would be in charge of such places. Even if it were I would imagine it wouldn't stop anyone from still continuing to flee.

It's the equivalent of putting Nazis in charge of a detention centre (actually, let's call it what it is, jail) where there are Jews who have fled from...Nazis!!

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Busy-Bee For This Useful Post:

beebs  (25-02-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Michelle Grattan's take on the Manus mess in a piece from the Conversation:

Immigration Minister Scott Morrison has promised the independent inquiry into the Manus Island rioting will examine his own and the government’s conduct since it assumed responsibility from Labor for the PNG solution.

The government is consulting Papua New Guinea on the inquiry’s terms of reference, as it comes under pressure to have at least an interim report presented in a reasonably short time frame.

The Coalition is also making sure the opposition wears some of the grief as well – the investigation, conducted by former secretary of the attorney-general’s department Robert Cornall, will look at how the centre was set up under the Labor government.

The opposition targeted Morrison in question time on Monday. But the ALP’s own difficulties with the issue are apparent. It reopened Manus and later then-PM Kevin Rudd came up with the “PNG solution”.

Labor also knows that “stopping the boats” - which the government has done - resonates with the voters, and it is fearful of being seen on the wrong side of that message. Indeed, it periodically points to Rudd’s action, saying it was the king hit against the people smuggling trade.

Bill Shorten started the opposition’s question time attack on the subject of jobs, despite Morrison being in the media spotlight after being forced to admit at the weekend that he had initially released incorrect information about where most of the violence had occurred (and where 23-year-old Reza Barati had been killed, although he had qualified his claim on that quickly).

While the Greens have called for Morrison’s head, Shorten has not done so. But the asylum seeker issue always produces differences (on substance and tactics) within Labor and shadow minister for human services Doug Cameron, from the left, went further than the leadership, saying Morrison should step down.

Morrison’s ministerial colleagues reached for the superlatives about his performance in stopping the boats, after Tony Abbott’s declaration on Sunday that “you don’t want a wimp running border protection”.

Queensland Liberal backbencher Andrew Laming did say Australia had to take responsibility for the death if it was in the centre. “We are obviously responsible because we hired the contractors who run that camp,” Mr Laming said to Fairfax Media.

Later Morrison told Parliament that the centre was run by PNG. “The Australian government supports the government of Papua New Guinea in running that centre through the arrangements established under the former government.”

This duality goes to the heart of the problem. The Australian government pays the bill for dealing with what is an Australian problem. The ultimate responsibility is Australia’s, but the grunt work is done by PNG. The result has been that both operations and accountability have been poor and a big price – in loss of life and injury - is now being paid.

In parliament Labor pressed for details of when Morrison knew what but failed to push for some important information – for example what Operation Sovereign Borders supremo Angus Campbell had found when he was sent there last week, or what, if anything, is being done to have processing (conducted by PNG officials with Australian mentoring) speeded up.

Nor, inexplicably, was Foreign Minister Julie Bishop quizzed by Labor about her just-completed talks in Cambodia. After their meeting her counterpart Hor Namhong said she had proposed Australia send a small group of asylum seekers there to live, and told reporters Cambodia would “very seriously” consider the request.

Asked by the media in Canberra about what she she had put, Bishop refused to be drawn, referring to co-operation under the Bali process. She cited confidentiality. When the Cambodians are apparently more forthcoming than our own government, you know the penchant for secrecy has indeed crossed into some crazy place.

Thanks
    Reviews

Thanks
    Reviews