Closed Thread
Page 30 of 99 FirstFirst ... 2028293031324080 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Father View Post
    Tim Wilson vs Brandis:
    http://www.theaustralian.com.au/nati...1226829691054#

I hope Wilson holds this government to account on this. They should not be backing down from what they promised. Wilson will be hard to argue against on this topic.
    My reading of the tea leaves is that Brandis will indeed recommend the full repeal of 18C but with companion legislation to still deal with racial vilification, using the model of a number of existing speech laws. Namely,
    1. Introduce a "reasonable person" test of vilification decided by a jury, rather than a judge determining whether the plaintiff has been "offended"
    2. Provide the standard defenses against a charge, such as public interest, artistic expression, etc.

If that is the way he in fact goes, then it would be hard to object IMO

EDT: Under such a reform it is likely that the odious Bolt would still be found guilty, as he almost certainly would have had existing defamation law been used. That's not because of his "opinions" but because he invented his own "facts" to fit his racist narrative.
    Last edited by JohnC; 21-02-2014 at 17:00. Reason: added Bolt

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnC View Post
    My reading of the tea leaves is that Brandis will indeed recommend the full repeal of 18C but with companion legislation to still deal with racial vilification, using the model of a number of existing speech laws. Namely,
    1. Introduce a "reasonable person" test of vilification decided by a jury, rather than a judge determining whether the plaintiff has been "offended"
    2. Provide the standard defenses against a charge, such as public interest, artistic expression, etc.

If that is the way he in fact goes, then it would be hard to object IMO
    That sounds alright to me. I hope your tea reading abilities are pretty good.

Thanks
    Reviews
    This doesn't quite fit the Bubhub perception of Abbott.

http://http://www.smh.com.au/federal...#ixzz2ttRdUNMc

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Father View Post
    That sounds alright to me.
    Now you've got me worried

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnC View Post
    Now you've got me worried
    Yeah you should be. That's two things in the same thread!

Busy-Bee is offline Offending people since before Del :D
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Busy-Bee For This Useful Post:

Atropos  (22-02-2014),HappyBovinexx  (22-02-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by crankyoldcow View Post
    Well there has been a 16% swing against Liberal in the Redcliffe by election today. It was only a state election, but Aussies seem to confuse national and state issues and vote accordingly.

Fingers crossed it is an indication of the mood of the nation.
    I wish this were the case but the by election in Kevin Rudd's old seat didn't reflect this.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRedV View Post
    I wish this were the case but the by election in Kevin Rudd's old seat didn't reflect this.
    Correct. It had a swing TO the government, which is the first time that has happened for around 20 years.

Thanks
    Reviews
    The issue of Medicare is just one part of the larger picture, which will see health and aged care expenditure double over the next 40 years as a share of GDP. The question is: who's going to pay? especially as the working age population is shrinking as a proportion of the total population.

The problem with the co-payment option is that the sickest people, particularly families where someone has a chronic illness, will end up paying more, and those who are both sick and earning in the lowest quartile will be hardest hit. This violates most people's basic sense of fairness.

Now bearing in mind that the existing levy funds less than 20% of Medicare payments, introducing a progressive increase in the levy-- so that those on average incomes would still only pay 1.5% but those earning more than, say, $150,000 would pay 2%, and those earning more than $250,000 would pay 3% -- would start to address the situation.

The Liberals, of course, want to go in the opposite direction and increasingly privatise health. But the fact is that the most free-market health system (the US) has the highest spending (as a proportion of GDP) for pretty much the worst outcomes in the developed world.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JohnC For This Useful Post:

Atropos  (23-02-2014),monnie24  (23-02-2014)