Closed Thread
Page 3 of 101 FirstFirst 123451353 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Father View Post
    Well. It obviously didn't need taxpayers dollars then. The government does not fund such a group. They pay for the BOM and CSIRO. That is enough.

I say good on them and all the best.
    They do need it. It's extremely important. The government is supposed to pay for things that help Australians.

We also donated.

I am embarrassed for Australia.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sockstealingpoltergeist For This Useful Post:

beebs  (30-09-2013),Gandalf  (10-11-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Tony will no longer be buying the boats (although in this case, I'm glad he's changed his mind, because it wasn't a great plan)

http://www.news.com.au/national-news...-1226730947692

THE Government has dumped its controversial scheme to spend $20 million buying rickety fishing boats from Indonesian villagers to prevent them being used to transport asylum seekers.

---------------------------
    http://www.theaustralian.com.au/news...-1226730379723

PRIME Minister Tony Abbott says he remains committed to "stopping the boats", but appears to be wavering on key points in the asylum-seeker policy he took to the election.

Asked directly whether he would turn boats back, Mr Abbott said: "Again, my object here is to stop the boats and in order to ensure the boats are stopped, I want to have the best possible relationship with Indonesia.

"I'm just not going to engage in the kind of press banter that is not going to be conducive to what is in our overall national interests, Australia's and Indonesia's, to get these boats stopped."

Two other controversial measures in the coalition's border protection regime - buying boats from Indonesian fishermen to prevent them being used by people smugglers and bounty payments to villagers who inform on smuggling operations - now appear unlikely to be implemented.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to 1234Guest For This Useful Post:

Atropos  (01-10-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by kj2010 View Post
    Tony will no longer be buying the boats (although in this case, I'm glad he's changed his mind, because it wasn't a great plan)
    Probably just realised that they won't fit a spa bath.

No, I have nothing relevant to add to the discussion.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BigRedV For This Useful Post:

sockstealingpoltergeist  (09-11-2013),Tildy  (10-11-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews

Thanks
    Reviews
    Re stopping the boats/turning them back:

They tried turning this one back but Indonesia wouldn't take it. The Australian Government has ordered that it be taken to Christmas Island.

http://www.smh.com.au/national/abbot...109-2x85v.html

TONY Abbott's government capitulated to Indonesia on Friday night, ordering a Customs boat with up to 63 refugees on board to go to Christmas Island.

An asylum seeker in Indonesia contacted Fairfax Media early on Saturday to say the boat had reached the Australian territory on Saturday morning after immigration minister Scott Morrison failed to convince Indonesia to accept their return.

The stand-off led the Indonesian minister, Djoko Suyanto, to assert powerfully that the country would never take refugees from Australia under similar circumstances — a declaration that scuttles any chance that Mr Abbott's three-year old promise of turning back boats could become a reality under this Indonesian government
    Last edited by 1234Guest; 09-11-2013 at 17:00.

Busy-Bee is offline Offending people since before Del :D
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    I really fear for this country when he has done so much damage in such a short time.

Just in the last 36 hours they have scrapped quite a few advisory boards including the Advisory Panel on the Marketing of Infant Formula. This is the body that monitors the marketing practices of forumlas including receiving and dealing with complaints about infant formula marketing. The ABA's response is here

No contractors at any federal government department or agency will have their contract renewed, regardless of the role/function of the person. (link) The lack of foresight into the impact of such changes and the dictatorial manner in which this has been decreed is jaw-dropping. The Assistant Treasurer Arthur Sinodinos then further insults the employees of the CSIRO (which will be heavily impacted by these cuts) as well as any person with an ounce of intellect by saying that the cuts will not affect the agency's work.

I'm really over governments thinking I'm stupid.

Then there is the plan to stop the incentive payments for low income earners to make additional superannuation payments and cutting the school bonus whilst in the same breath abolishing a proposed tax on super earnings for higher income earners.

The 12 organisations to be abolished are:

Australian Animals Welfare Advisory Committee

Under the purview of the department of agriculture, the committee was appointed in October 2011. Its job was to advise ministers on “nationally significant animal welfare issues” and implementing animal welfare policy.
    Commonwealth Firearms Advisory Council

Set up in 2010, the advisory council acted as a bridge between the government and gun owners. It provided advice on firearms issues and was comprised of people with experience in the industry.
    International Legal Services Advisory Council

The council was created to improve the international performance of Australia’s legal industry. Formed in 1990, it provided information to government and pushed for liberalisation in the international trade of legal services.
    National Intercountry Adoption Advisory Group

The group provides advice to the government on intercountry adoptions.
    National Steering Committee on Corporate Wrongdoing

Set up under Paul Keating’s government in 1992, the steering committee acts as a forum in which corporate regulator Asic and the director of public prosecutions could meet and decide whether white-collar wrongdoing should be treated as a regulatory or criminal matter.
    Antarctic Animal Ethics Committee

Part of the Department of Environment’s Antarctic operation, this committee advises researchers on the justified use of animals and encourages “safer and less stressful techniques” when dealing with Antarctic species such as penguins and seals.
    Advisory Panel on the Marketing in Australia of Infant Formula

This Department of Health body, set up in 1992, was given the job of overseeing new legislation on the marketing of infant formula, which was designed to promote breastfeeding. It investigates complaints into the marketing of these formulas.

High Speed Rail Advisory Group

The group was established following a 2010 initiative by Labor to look into the possibility of high speed rail in Australia. It found that the creation of a 1,748km rail route Brisbane-Sydney-Canberra-Melbourne would cost $114bn, take until 2065 to complete and carry 84 million passengers each year.
    Maritime Workforce Development Forum

Another Labor government creation, this forum aimed to improve sea-based skills in order to “protect national security and promote trade and economic growth”. It set a strategy for the maritime industry to follow.
    Advisory Panel on Positive Ageing

A $4.7m venture to create a plan for Australia’s ageing population, the panel has been given the boot just months before unveiling the fruits of its three-year labours.
    Insurance Reform Advisory Group

Set up by new Labor leader Bill Shorten in 2011, this advisory group was created in response to the insurance issues arising from the floods in Victoria and Queensland.
    National Housing Supply Council

Established in 2008, the council looked to improve housing supply and affordability for buyers and renters. It provided recommendations to the government on how to deliver affordable housing.
    This is what Liberal-National governments do.

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Busy-Bee For This Useful Post:

beebs  (17-11-2013),Lauzy  (09-11-2013),madreader  (09-11-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I follow The Barricades on FB. The stuff they post is a real eye opener.

ImageUploadedByThe Bub Hub1383979056.933171.jpg

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Lauzy View Post
    I follow The Barricades on FB. The stuff they post is a real eye opener.

Attachment 45725
    That's incredibly sad and Awful.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to sockstealingpoltergeist For This Useful Post:

Lauzy  (09-11-2013)