Closed Thread
Page 18 of 99 FirstFirst ... 816171819202868 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Father View Post
    Sorry. Maybe you should have a look at a map of Indonesia.
    I have looked at many maps while travelling overland across Indonesia & SE Asia. What's your point?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    We haven't under the policies that were in place. However, BigRedV's policies would most likely increase that number. So it is definitely not a moot point.

At what number would BigRedV say "I think that is enough for this year, we can't look after you all". Please don't ignore the question. It is legitimate to know how many you think we can take.
    I haven't thought about a number, but it's a hell of a lot more than we currently take.

Considering a lot of people are fleeing Afghanistan because of the war that John Howard decided to fight. It will get worse once troops leave.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Anyway, I have kids to look after- I hope someone else comes along for you to argue with.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMadHatter View Post
    True. But, all he had to do was apologise immediately, say it was under a previous government and he had no knowledge of it. I reckon the Indonesians would've been happy with that. Wouldn't have been that hard to say that and keep good relations. Sure, it might not have been his fault but, if he wants to be the elected representative of this country then this is part of his job.
    No that would not have been hard. But it is hardly in the national interest. Good on him for standing firm against such calls. If he were to apologise, then it sets a precedence. Countries spy on each other. Indonesia spies on us. They just didn't have a whistleblower reveal what they have been doing. As you can see, by being quiet and letting the dust settle, it has died and things have gone back to normal.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have looked at many maps while travelling overland across Indonesia & SE Asia. What's your point?
    Which train would I catch to Indonesia?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRedV View Post
    I haven't thought about a number, but it's a hell of a lot more than we currently take.
    Can you think now? How many can we take each year? 30k? 100k? 1 million? Where is your line? Or do you honestly think it is possible to take the entire global population of refugees?

Quote Originally Posted by BigRedV View Post
    Considering a lot of people are fleeing Afghanistan because of the war that John Howard decided to fight. It will get worse once troops leave.
    So they were fleeing because we started a war? And they will flee even more when we stop the war??? Whatever happens, it is always our fault... got it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Anyway, I have kids to look after- I hope someone else comes along for you to argue with.
    I've put mine to bed. I could go all night I hope someone else will back me up about the geography of Indonesia. But I guess it is impossible for someone to agree with a comment from myself on this thread.

Thanks
    Reviews
    How do we send back children on unsafe boats, probably with little food and water. There are children on those boats, babies in arms too.

Thanks
    Reviews
    it is impossible for someone to agree with a comment from myself on this thread.
    You've finally said something I agree with.

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Clementine Grace For This Useful Post:

Atropos  (15-02-2014),beebs  (16-02-2014),Father  (15-02-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    I think the important point being missed here, is that these people can be productive members of society. Why not let them in? As I said, in another thread, I saw the Kosovar refugees come into our community around 15 years ago. Far from living off benefits and sucking tax payer dollars, they got jobs. Many that the locals refused to do. They scrubbed toilets and slaughter floors, they were garbage collectors, they paid taxes and supported their families. They fitted in so well into the community and were so grateful bc scrubbing toilets was so much more preferable to where they come from. I was reading the local paper online and there was a story about how the children of those refugees are in uni to become doctors and engineers. Some had already graduated.

I believe it's a simplistic and narrow minded view to not recognise these 'boat' people can contribute to and enrich our country. So what's the fear?

12. The Following User Says Thank You to delirium For This Useful Post:

beebs  (16-02-2014)