+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    My older son (almost 5) is in a kindy program through daycare. C&K wasn't an option for e as I work part time.

I have been pretty unimpressed, with the staff turnover and general standards. The director told me it's harder for centres to recruit and maintain staff as the conditions are better in C&K (shorter hours, less cleaning and drudge work).

There are also different children on different days at daycare so not as much consistency between the group.

After my experience with kindy via LDC, I am going to enrol my younger son (1) in C&K for kindy, I think. But, I have the luxury of that option as my mum looks after him while I'm at work, so she can look after him when he's not at kindy. If she wasn't here, he would have to go to kindy via LDC as well.

A friend has her child in kindy via LDC at Montessori, and the educational standards seem a bit higher, but I think it varies on the individual centre.

Someone told me that C&K is about $25 a day, but you don't get rebates, so it is about the same or cheaper as kindy in LDC depending on what rebates you get (eg. if you paid $80 per day in LDC, you would get $40 back in CCR if you study or work, leaving you $40 out of pocket, plus extra off if eligible for CCB)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by beccaboobang View Post
    I don't have any kids yet but I run a kindergarten approved room in a childcare center. I honestly believe it all depends on the teacher. It's all about how they run their class, what goals they work out with parents on each individual child etc. The children in my care certainly aren't missing out by not attending c&k. (I have a child that attends 2 days a week then attends c&k the rest of the days and his family love my program).

I have visited my local primary schools to make sure I'm preparing the children for prep and their transition to school is as smooth as possible.

I suggest going with what best suits your situation. Both should be of high quality.

I really agree with this. So much depends on the teacher.

The teacher my son was meant to have was amazing, but she left, then we a really ordinary one, who also left, then no teacher for 2 months, now another one.

But the other kindy room has what appears to be a great teacher.

I guess school is the same - so much turns on the teacher you get.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I also agree it depends on your circumstances and the particular Centre.

We have a fantastic local LDC centre and we kept DD there for the kindy program which fit in with my part time work.

I really loved the continuity, there was very little staff turnover and DD is now in prep with handful of children she has known since 18 mths. The other advantage is DS is now in the same Centre with the siblings of DD's friends so it has worked for us and it really feels like a community.

SpecialPatrolGroup is offline T-rex is cranky until she gets her coffee.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I have really been struggling with this. I so want my dd to go to C&K next year but DH and I both work full time and don't have family support to help with pick up/drop off etc, or for the school holidays. Her day care is good and she is already in the room she will be in next year so she is part of the kindy program. They are doing so much with letters and numbers, they were doing science experiments making clouds in a bottle today etc.

I was told that some C&K's have before and after care but none near me do .

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MsMummy View Post

Someone told me that C&K is about $25 a day, but you don't get rebates, so it is about the same or cheaper as kindy in LDC depending on what rebates you get (eg. if you paid $80 per day in LDC, you would get $40 back in CCR if you study or work, leaving you $40 out of pocket, plus extra off if eligible for CCB)
    I'm not really down with all the rebates and what not, but I do get given a statement each term and am sure the statements are mentioned in the newsletter along with 'rebates' so not sure if this is true.

I have also read that c&k is low or no cost to health care card holders.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    [QUOTE=JumpingInMuddyPuddles;7451242]I visited two C&K kindergartens where one group was outside all morning and the other inside, then they swapped for the afternoons. All up there would be 45 kids sharing the facility which is way more than the 22 kids in my DD's kindy. It is also less like a school routine than what DD is currently experiencing IMO.[#quote]I have never seen a C&K operate that way. At DD7s C&K, they begin with outside time 8:30-9:30 then come inside. (The reason given is to limit outside time to the least UV dangerous time.) They have meals on the veranda - so that is still outdoorsish, but covered. The C&K DD5 went to (six years ago) had their outside play after morning tea. In both cases, they had their room to themselves and didn't share with another group on their days (though another group came on the alternative 5-day fortnight).

DD7s preschool has three separate rooms running concurrently, and they share the one large playground. If only one group is out, the only part of the playground is used because they dont have the supervision to cover the full playground, but if all three groups are out, then the six teachers (two per room) cover the whole playground and the kids can spread out as they please.

Quote Originally Posted by MsMummy View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Pina Colada View Post
    I'm not really down with all the rebates and what not, but I do get given a statement each term and am sure the statements are mentioned in the newsletter along with 'rebates' so not sure if this is true.

I have also read that c&k is low or no cost to health care card holders.
    I am not sure which rebate is which, but you don't get the %off rebate (provided by centrelink) but you do get the 50% back (that used to be from medicare, but I think it might be centrelink also now - I should really claim that for DD7). Also they recently introduced a rebate for health care card holders. In 2011 (it's first year) it dropped the daily rate to $11 per day, now (2013) it drops the daily rate to something rediculously cheap like $1.05-$1.20 per day. There is no scale here, it is either a yes or no as to whether you get the reduced rate.
    Last edited by sweetseven; 18-09-2013 at 08:55.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Bit late, but I have my DS1 (4yo) down for C&K since 2011 and was going this year. He started at our local hard to get in to kindy in 2013, and at the end of the year we found out his teacher was moving up with them in next room, so decided to keep him in, I didn't want to transition him to c&k and then school (they arnt guaranteed to be with any of the other students from c&k)

I really think it solely it based on the staff at each place, the c&k head teacher gave me a weird vibe.

Witwicky is offline A closed mouth gathers no foot.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    I ended up cancelling his C&K enrolment (goodbye $150 ) and he is doing the kindy program through day care. It's the same day care that my youngest son attends which is handy, and the teachers are great. Much easier for me in regards to work, as I can pick him up later in the day if need be.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Witwicky View Post
    I ended up cancelling his C&K enrolment (goodbye $150 ) and he is doing the kindy program through day care. It's the same day care that my youngest son attends which is handy, and the teachers are great. Much easier for me in regards to work, as I can pick him up later in the day if need be.
    That's great

And about money me too, plus the uniform money which the director wouldn't give back as it's for the children