+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Witwicky is offline A closed mouth gathers no foot.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Approved kindergarten - C&K or childcare?

I found out recently that my son was approved for a spot at the local C&K (which happens to be across the road from our house). I paid the $150 enrolment fee, however now i'm starting to wonder if I should just keep him at his child care centre and enrol him in their approved kindy program.

I will be working, so it's going to be a PIA having to pick him up when kindy finishes at 2pm, plus it's only a five day fortnight...so he would still have to go to the child care centre on the other days anyway.

Are the C&K programs the same? Better?
    What are fees like?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ending 5/6/2014
    I personally think C&K are way better. My DS1 went last year and it was amazing for him.

Our fees were $26 a day. It can be a pain with the hours and also them having school holidays off, but I thought the benefits way outweighed the negatives

Sent from my GT-I9305T using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Whilst I don't have kids old enough for kindy a friend of mind does.

She has her son in daycare kindy 5 day fortnight and in c&k 5 day fortnight. She works 3 days a week but the daycare does drop/pick up and gets him on that alt day.

Sent from my HTC One SV using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I personally choose C and K (or Gowrie) over daycare. I prefer that a C and K kindy has set classes and set times. I would rather my children be 1 in a group of 22 that never changes, all children arrive at 8.45am and are picked up at 2.45pm rather than all arriving and leaving at different times, different kids on different days etc.

I prefer the continuity.

ETA: a pp mentioned some c and k's have 2 groups going at once, one inside and one outside and then swapping. This is not common - We have moved a lot, and looked at dozens of kindy's and I have not come across this at all.
    Last edited by Pina Colada; 17-09-2013 at 12:09.

TimeForWine is offline Taking everyday one wine at a time...
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Witwicky View Post
    I found out recently that my son was approved for a spot at the local C&K (which happens to be across the road from our house). I paid the $150 enrolment fee, however now i'm starting to wonder if I should just keep him at his child care centre and enrol him in their approved kindy program.

I will be working, so it's going to be a PIA having to pick him up when kindy finishes at 2pm, plus it's only a five day fortnight...so he would still have to go to the child care centre on the other days anyway.

Are the C&K programs the same? Better?
    What are fees like?
    Honestly I think the childcare ones are just as good if they have an approved Kindy program.

My dd (5) is in the kindy room at daycare which works as like you I work and its more convienient - it certainly hasnt hurt her.

She knows all her letters by sight, numbers by sight, is doing basic repetative spelling, verrry basic maths and is beginning to work out C is for cat etc etc by sounding the letters out. Also the other important things for starting school like toileting independently, opening bags, shoes on and off, lunch box open and close etc.

She has also gained confidence and a great social life haha and of course they get to have a heap of fun with messy fun too. Her daycare has a water park etc - so yeah, I think its just as good as a c&k kindy.

Could you speak to your daycare kindys teacher to ease your mind?

Thanks
    Reviews
    @Witwicky how would you be able to do the pick ups at 2pm if working?

I would stick with daycare if he was going to be there on the other days anyway. But I wouldn't have a choice due to work anyway.

I'm dreading dealing with school hours and holidays with work and no family support!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by JumpingInMuddyPuddles View Post
    Wow! Full life for a kid. How does he find it?
    @JumpingInMuddyPuddles

It works ok cos he was a FT CC kid before mum went on mat leave with the second bub. My friend is resuming work in the new year and wanted to get him used to the days.

Sent from my HTC One SV using The Bub Hub mobile app

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Rose&Aurelia&Hannah For This Useful Post:

JumpingInPuddlesxxx  (18-09-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I am wondering the same things for when it's time for DD to start, it's so confusing!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 29/5/15Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week100 Posts in a week
    I don't have any kids yet but I run a kindergarten approved room in a childcare center. I honestly believe it all depends on the teacher. It's all about how they run their class, what goals they work out with parents on each individual child etc. The children in my care certainly aren't missing out by not attending c&k. (I have a child that attends 2 days a week then attends c&k the rest of the days and his family love my program).

I have visited my local primary schools to make sure I'm preparing the children for prep and their transition to school is as smooth as possible.

I suggest going with what best suits your situation. Both should be of high quality.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I think you have to go with what suits your family best.

DD is currently in c&k. DS went there a few years ago. I can't speak highly enough of it and it was my preference. But the hours are tricky and it's not possible for all families to work around them.