+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast
    lexim is offline Winner 2013 - Newbie of the Year
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default How do you keep a tidy house?

Hi ladies.
    I'm always interested in hearing about other people's tips on keeping their house tidy. I'm a bit of a neat freak and feel a bit stressed when my house is chaotic.
    For me I have a cleaning list for daily, weekly and monthly.
    ImageUploadedByThe Bub Hub1379378227.069492.jpg
    This is what I do so that my house stays tidy and my sanity stats in tact.
    ImageUploadedByThe Bub Hub1379378305.732453.jpg
    I try and pick a few a day and do them, if it really doesn't need doing ill just skip it.
    ImageUploadedByThe Bub Hub1379378375.701928.jpg
    This usually is two monthly, ill just do them when I can and when I've finished the list, ill wipe clean and start again.

What does everyone else do? Looking for new ideas

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think that brilliant and have cheekily stolen the idea... Thanks!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I like lists and have written up some, but they aren't as lengthy as yours....so I'm going to copy what you've done

Sent from my GT-I9100T using The Bub Hub mobile app

FearlessLeader is offline Winner 2013 - Most Memorable Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I keep a tidy house by hiring a cleaner at the moment she only comes fortnightly so we still give everything a wipe over every other week.
    Other than that I just have way lower expectations than you. I do laundry and wash dishes daily, floors and toilet twice a week. Bathrooms surfaces dusting etc the cleaner does fortnightly and if they need it I'll do again the alternate week but most of the time I don't bother. Most of those things on your monthly list... Never? Maybe once or twice a year.

5. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to FearlessLeader For This Useful Post:

Albert01  (17-09-2013),cluckcluck  (17-09-2013),Stiflers Mom  (25-09-2013),veggiemama  (17-09-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I do pretty much the same as the OP but after 20 years I don't need a list anymore...I'm on auto pilot!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I don't have any lists, I'm just in a routine.

i do 2 loads washing everyday sometimes I don't put it away until the next dday

the kitchen is cleaned after every meal, dishwasher packed/ unpacked every day. I try and put it on at night while we are in bed.

floors are vacuumed every day, mopped every 2-3 days ( I have white tiles downstairs, I could mop every day with a 2 yr old!)

bathrooms/toilets once a week. This is the worst IMO, considering hiring a cleaner to do this for me once a wk

I tidy DS room every day, am constantly picking up toys.

dusting also once maybe twice week, I usually wipe over main surfaces after I do kitchen. Ie hall table, buffet etc

anything else I do it when I see it needs doing?

Thanks
    Reviews
    I wish I wasnt such a clean freak. Its exhausting keeping on top of it all and I wish I could relax enough to let it all go or at least not be so obsessed with it but having a clean house makes me feel "in control". it kind of embarrasses me a little bit as well that Im so neat when I have 2 toddlers and everyone expects me to have a messy house. When I have other mother friends over they always comment on my house and I can see them not wanting to invite me to their house because they think im a neat freak and might judge them. I really hate it but its all connected to my mental health. The better im feeling the more I can let go but when im feeling unwell im totally obsessive and need everything put in its right place. Im a whack job.

I love my "washing room" (spare room where washing is piled almost as high as the ceiling). Its the one messy room in the house and it makes me feel normal..

9. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to RipperRita For This Useful Post:

dancingchipmunk  (17-09-2013),House Mummaxxxx  (17-09-2013),veggiemama  (17-09-2013),wrena  (17-09-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    how?

- clean it and move out

Dave The Turning Cowboy

turning wood into art

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DaveTTC For This Useful Post:

jagamoe  (18-09-2013),TimeForWine  (17-09-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    God I am soooo jealous!!!!!!

I wish I had the time and (more to the point) motivation.

Actually, scrap that, I do really want to have an immaculate house but paperwork is my downfall. I have piles and piles of paperwork and even thinking about tackling it sends me to my bed where i can tunnel under my duvet and hide from it all.

Massive kick up the ar$e required!!!!!!!!

lexim is offline Winner 2013 - Newbie of the Year
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by JumpingInMuddyPuddles View Post
    Doesn't look like you need new ideas at all!!

Funny how different people can be; as much as I love lists, those would stress me out! Hehe.

I try to find a balance between a clean house and a relaxed house. I want my kids to remember a peaceful home. Of course cleanliness is part of this.

I'm guessing your child/ren are younger? I had lists and excel spreadsheets galore when DD1 was little and it was my way of feeling on top of everything. Since DD2, and the chaos with 2 toddlers I've had to learn to take things off lists and let go a bit more. If I followed those lists now I would be doing nothing but cleaning, and my kids would never have any of my time.

But if I had lists, I'd add:
    Play with my child regularly and let them 'make the rules' of the game.
    Cook with them and let them spill flour, crack eggs and mix batter.
    After the main dinner cleanup is done, leave the housework and chill out with DH in the evening.

Life's too short.
    I've got a 3.5 year old and a 7month old

Oh yes we make a lot. DS1 loves to bake so we are forever making cakes and cookies and slices and things.
    We also spend slot of time outdoors (we have 360acres) when the weather is nice and he's also a big helper
    Hubs and I spend alot of time together, when he gets home he will sit and chat with me whilst I make dinner (have a thermie so it seriously cuts prep,cooking and cleaning time in half) and dinner time is always sit down together and eat and I usually just have to wash our bowls, dry and put away after tea and then the rest of the evening is family time

I don't always complete my lists but its just my way of staying on top of things. Rather than it all swimming around in my head and feeling overwhelmed by it, it's sitting their on a list so I don't have to think about it and do it when I get the chance.

Weekends I def pull back a bit and I could go the whole weekend without getting anything on my daily list done. Hubs DS1 & DS2 and I spend most of our weekends together, doing stuff around the house, going out in the bush, doing stuff around our little farm, gardening, visiting places.
    But I find if I keep a tidy house during the week then I'm much happier to spend the weekends doing things I love most.

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to lexim For This Useful Post:

HugsBunny  (17-09-2013),JumpingInPuddlesxxx  (17-09-2013),TimeForWine  (17-09-2013)