+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Shopping dramas

Hi everyone,
    I have decided to ask for some advice about my 21mth old ds3, and his antics while grocery shopping. I live in western QLD with the nearest grocery shop a half hour drive away. I have a very busy husband who farms, so I always need to take my kids shopping with me.
    The problem has started the last few times we have been shopping. My ds3 screams and cries when I try to put him in the trolley seat. I am usually filling the trolley, so need all the room in the back. If I let him walk, of course he runs away and thinks it's a game,then I am chasing him. Then my ds2 joins in the fun.
    We went shopping today, so I thought I would try him in one of those harness backpacks. Once he realised he couldn't get away he cried and screamed more. I ended up picking him up, and tried to manoeuvre the trolley, not fun. So once again it was a stressful shopping trip, with me forgetting some important items due to my loud toddler. And I just loved getting stared at with no one offering to help. Any suggestions???

Mother to three gorgeous little men

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Only things I can suggest are probably things you will roll your eyes at and say 'yep, tried that'
    - don't go when kids are tired, try go first thing in the morning
    - don't go when kids are hungry
    - give him a snack in the trolley
    - give him your phone to play with or something he isn't usually allowed to have
    Is online home delivery available?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    100 Posts in a week
    I feel your pain! It is a major mission taking my 22 month old DS3 shopping and we farm as well have have to travel about 100km to shop.

I take the worlds biggest bag filled with snacks, books and random little toys. Plus I sing, talk, cheer. He puts thing in the trolley for me, I give him unbreakable groceries to play with/chew on. He likes to scribble on a notebook with a pen...all of these things buy me minutes and I shop FAST!!

4. The Following User Says Thank You to misskittyfantastico For This Useful Post:

JumpingInPuddlesxxx  (16-09-2013)

FearlessLeader is offline Winner 2013 - Most Memorable Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I give DS a basket and he zooms around pushing it in front of me taking out all the other shoppers and then I just go as fast as I can!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to FearlessLeader For This Useful Post:

VicPark  (16-09-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    it slows me down but I give DS (22 months) items to put in trolley for me. He loves 'helping'

With the harness, you could try using it at home? get him used to it.

I am sometimes shopping with all 3 kids - on my own that can be a challenge. Still, I try to get them involved. DS almost 5 likes to pull the trolley,

Oh a basket on wheels, DS 22 months loves trolleys and such, I think I have a pic on my phone, and have just sent it here

ImageUploadedByThe Bub Hub1379329748.378660.jpg

Child labour - that keeps him busy

Dave The Turning Cowboy

turning wood into art

8. The Following User Says Thank You to DaveTTC For This Useful Post:

JumpingInPuddlesxxx  (16-09-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I used to say to DS at that age he could walk besides the trolley and help but if he ran too far ahead he would have to sit in the trolley - he only did it once and I put him straight in the trolley seat - ( as pp said i never take him when he is tired or hungry) I try shop at my local IGA as they have the little baskets on wheels and he loves it as he wheels that around and fills up his basket!

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Elijahs Mum For This Useful Post:

BH-KatiesMum  (16-09-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    You poor thing OP, that sounds like the grocery trip from hell!!

How often do you shop? Could you schedule in just a couple of hours per fortnight to do it while your Dp looks after the kids? No-one would expect him to go out and farm with 3 little ones in tow. I'm not suggesting that your Dp is unreasonable or anything...I guess I'm just wanting to highlight how ridiculously hard it must be to do grocery shopping under those circumstances and that I think the work of women/or men who are doing the domestic duties needs to be valued a bit more highly.

Or, could you put your littlest in the trolley and give your eldest a little trolley like the one shown by DaveTTC to give you more room for the groceries.

Or, is your littlest too heavy for you to put him on your back in an ergo style carrier?

Sent from my GT-I9100 using The Bub Hub mobile app
    Last edited by Albert01; 16-09-2013 at 21:59.

BH-KatiesMum is offline Community Manager
    Winner 2008 - The most optimistic poster
    Winner 2014 - Most Helpful Moderator
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator
    200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a week
    I used to do the same as Elijah's Mum - she could walk provided she didnt run off, she had to stay in the aisle that I was in. If she ran off she got put in the trolley screaming or not.

I did also use many of the techniques that have been suggested here
    - food
    - distraction with a toy
    - giving her a job to do (put things in trolley, find specific things etc)
    - talking/singing/playing a game
    - straight out bribery ... a lollipop if she was good

Sometimes it worked, and sometimes it didnt.

Good luck

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Welcome to my life. My 23 month old is exactly the same, just when his 3.5 yo brother has started to grow out of it.

Can you reward him for good behavior? A matchbox car or some bubbles (as in for blowing) if he behaves? It will cost $3 for either of those..

I agree though, going 1st thing in the morning makes such a difference. I was there at 930 saturday just to avoid any meltdowns.
    I also talk to my kids as we are walking. I ask them what the names of the fruit and veg are, point to the pasta etc etc. I find that if I engage with them it keeps them a little more quiet. I must look like a complete dork but I don't care..

Oh and I give my 23mth old a squeeze yogurt whilst there.. I always pay for it, but it keeps him busy for a bit.