+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Iron tablet question

I gave birth last thursday and ended up on surgery as the placenta didn't detach and I lost over 1L of blood.
    Ended up anemic, and had 2 bags of blood transfused in hospital. After that my level was 80ish. Been discharged and told to take iron tablets. I have no idea what dose, I had some ferro-tab 200mg at home so started taking them.

So the question is when I take the iron tablets, my symptoms get worse. I get ridiculously dizzy and short of breath. Generally feeling 10x worse then before I take them, is this normal?
    I have taken iron tabs before but never felt crook afterwards.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Ferrograd are pretty hardcore and 80 is a normal reading, if I were you I would take a more natural supplement like floradix and always take iron supplements with a meal. Drinking orange juice will also help absorb the iron. How is your blood pressure? It could be contributing to the dizziness especially after a bleed.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    If 80 was you total blood count, them that is really low!
    I usually sit around 110 and that is classed as low so if that is what they were saying was 80 I would be asking for Iv iron or injections.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My blood pressure was 100/60 when I left hospital yesterday. Not sure what it is now. It's def lower than my usual.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My usual count is 140. After blood loss it was 60. That's when I had the 2 transfusions and it was 80 something yesterday. Dr said it would take weeks to get back up.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Sorry to hear about surgery and blood loss. I suffered a placental abruption and severe blood loss, my iron levels still haven't returned to normal; my best advice is to go to your GP and get a full blood count done to determine your iron stores and to set out a plan.

If 80 was your ferritin reading then I would be surprised if you need iron tablets as it's in the normal range, but it might have been your haemoglobin in which case it would be on the low side, but haemoglobin isn't a true indicator of iron stores.

As for the dizziness I'd also be asking you GP about that and getting your BP checked!

GL x

7. The Following User Says Thank You to GM01 For This Useful Post:

MummaOJ  (16-09-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    That is pretty low blood pressure if it is not normal for you. My GP once recommended eating a bit more salt when he found that my blood pressure was really low and making me dizzy, he said he would never normally recommend it but in that case just have a little bit more. I found it did work.
    As for the iron I have no advice, they don't agree with me and I've not found a solution for it yet. Could you get into your GP? It sounds like you might need a bit of a follow up.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yeah I'll try and get into the Drs tomorrow

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Hello the same thing happened to me I lost 3 and a half litres of blood 12 days ago. Needed an op where they got out a 700 gram piece and another piece the size of a fist as well as several blood clots I had 4 blood transfusions and was given ferro grad and seem to be taking them pretty well my blood count is still in the 80s as well so not in a hurry to go up but my blood pressure is up to 100/60 which im happy about. Hope you recover quick I was told I nearly died twice I can not remember as I was in and out.