+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 26 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    [Text deleted by Moderator]

I try! But I genuinely believe the climate and environment is something people should care about. [Text deleted by Moderator]
    Last edited by Mod-Uniquey; 18-09-2013 at 19:23. Reason: Refers to deleted text/ edited unnecessary text

Thanks
    Reviews
    There's a new guy that has posted in a couple debate threads but also participates in other parenting aspects, enabling you to get to know him and not feel like you're getting hit over the head with the same right-wing agenda.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Clementine Grace View Post
    Father, tell me what you know about the environment? What have you observed to make you think the claims are over exaggerated? Can you tell me for eg. what you personally think about the effect ( or lack of) of CO2 emissions on biodiversity?
    Biodiversity doesn't matter! Only humans do!

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Kirst33 For This Useful Post:

Clementine Grace  (18-09-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    [Text removed by Moderator]

I've stopped reading these threads. The arguments are circular and go nowhere. It's just an exercise in frustration.
    Last edited by Mod-Uniquey; 18-09-2013 at 19:33. Reason: unnecessary/

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sonja For This Useful Post:

Amira  (18-09-2013),beebs  (18-09-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    [Text removed by Moderator]

I'll try! I did stop engaging on the green con so I know I'm capable!
    Last edited by Mod-Uniquey; 18-09-2013 at 19:06. Reason: Refers to deleted text

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Kirst33 For This Useful Post:

Clementine Grace  (18-09-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    http://www.smh.com.au/comment/tony-a...917-2tx0j.html

A quarter of a century ago, I asked Canada's bright, new environment minister Lucien Bouchard what he felt was the most important environment issue facing Canadians. ''Global warming,'' he immediately replied. ''It threatens the survival of our species. We have to act now.''

Back then his views echoed those of politicians around the world. George H.W. Bush, who didn't have an environmental bone in his body, promised to be an ''environmental president'' when he ran in 1988 because Americans had put it at the top of their concerns. Even Margaret Thatcher, when she was filmed picking up litter, turned to the camera to say, ''I'm a greenie too''.

But now, Bouchard and politicians around the world continue to retreat from the battle to protect the environment. Your new prime minister Tony Abbott is just another who finds it easier and more politically rewarding to focus on the next election cycle rather than the mountain of evidence that continues to grow and show we are trashing the biosphere and must reduce carbon emissions.

'This unprecedented event is unlike anything recorded in North American history.'
    "This event is unlike anything recorded in North American history." Photo: Nicolas Walker

I used to think some cataclysmic, climate-related event would shock the world into taking the steps needed to preserve the future of the human species. But after seeing what's happened this past decade, I'm no longer sure any event or set of circumstances will be enough to jolt governments into action. (The 2008 bank-induced economic meltdown spurred politicians to spend hundreds of billions just to get the defective economy back up and running again!)

Just look at Canada.

In British Columbia, where I live, a warming climate has allowed insects the size of grains of rice to destroy $65 billion worth of pine trees in just a bit over a decade. For millennia the mountain pine beetle, a native of Canada, has been kept in check by our winter temperatures which reach minus 35 degrees for several days.

"Your new prime minister Tony Abbott is just another who finds it easier and more politically rewarding to focus on the next election cycle".
    "Your new prime minister Tony Abbott is just another who finds it easier and more politically rewarding to focus on the next election cycle." Photo: AFP

Not anymore. The British Columbia Ministry of Forests says that, thanks to global warming, we have not had one of these widespread weather events in the British Columbia interior since the winter of 1995-96.

With no more killing freezes, pine beetle numbers have exploded, destroying 710 million cubic metres of commercially valuable pine timber. That's more than half of all such pine in the province. As the climate warms, the beetles have been blown over the Rocky Mountains where pine trees of the boreal forest extend across Canada.

This unprecedented event is unlike anything recorded in North American history, but it's not been enough to galvanise our government to get serious about acting on climate change.

I'm at a loss to understand why. But if the melting polar ice cap, and the devastation wrought by hurricanes Katrina and Sandy was not enough to force governments into serious action, I guess I can hardly expect a little mountain pine beetle to do it.

From what I can see, it's a similar story in Australia. Half the coral on the Great Barrier Reef has disappeared in the past 27 years and its size could halve again in the next decade with degradation of the environment and the increasing frequency of cyclones.

Bushfires in Australia are getting more severe and more frequent. I see in Sydney you have already had your first fires barely a week into spring. And what has your new government done in response? As soon as Mr Abbott won power, he promised to wind back Australia's recent efforts to combat global warming.

His promise to scrap the carbon tax, a tax which had been a timid step in the right direction, to close down your green energy bank and to reduce the rebates for buying solar panels, all send a terrible signal to your entrepreneurs and to the community.

And all of it is being done in the name of saving the economy.

But for more than 20 years the insurance industry has been telling us we have all been paying more for changes in the climate. Why aren't we listening to the insurers, the hardest business heads of all?

I would have thought Australia would be leading the world in developing a new economy because climate change is going to devastate Australia.

Instead, mining magnates are manipulating the debate in Australia just like they are doing elsewhere. Like the tobacco industry before them, they have known for years that climate change is happening and that burning fossil fuels is at the heart of it. But to maximise their profits they have continued to sow misunderstanding and confusion, funding the sceptics to perpetrate the myth that global warming is junk science.

They should be ignored because there is no confusion in the scientific community about what's happening to our planet and what the future holds unless we change the way we live.

A carbon tax is just one small step to encourage companies and individuals to reduce dumping rubbish into the atmosphere.

Don't Australians pay to put their junk into landfill?

The consequences of dumping our junk in the atmosphere are far greater than leaving garbage in the streets so why don't we limit it by making people pay to dump it?

It's the most basic lesson of economics. Anyone who understands and cares about the environment and economics will know ditching the carbon tax is not only crazy, it is absolutely suicidal.

David Suzuki is an award winning scientist, environmentalist and broadcaster. He will speak at a City of Sydney City Talk on Tuesday, September 24, at City Recital Hall, Angel Place.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/comment/tony-a...ixzz2fCfXxuTj\

10. The Following User Says Thank You to FiveInTheBed For This Useful Post:

sockstealingpoltergeist  (18-09-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Father View Post
    I agree.

Sorry to post another graph, but this shows how much it varies from year to year.

So yes, 2012 was a very bad year. But 2013 was better than 2007, 2008, 2010, and 2011. So my point about the snowshoe hare is valid. At least for this year
    Sorry, have only just started reading this thread, so someone else may have already pointed this out, but that graph also shows that 2013 is so far worse than 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006 and 2009, so I'm not exactly sure how it proves your point?

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Staaz For This Useful Post:

beebs  (18-09-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Edit: sorry, double post
    Last edited by Staaz; 18-09-2013 at 12:16.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Oops reposted what 5ITB just posted.
    Last edited by sockstealingpoltergeist; 18-09-2013 at 21:52.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kirst33 View Post
    No I don't believe warming has stalled, there's been several articles (by scientists!) linked in 'the great green con' thread regarding what you consider as warming stopping the past 16 years. If you're interested in reading them again (or I assume for the first time) I'll link the thread.
    I know where you stand on the lack of warming. One could say you were in denial
    Not sure why Beebs thanked your post. According to Beebs posts, she thinks that it has stopped warming, like most scientists now reluctantly acknowledge.