+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 26 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kirst33 View Post
    And I believe you mean they should head towards the Antarctic.
    Nope. I meant what I said. The arctic. Your link is 11 months old. Maybe you should be more abreast with what has happened in the past year.

Busy-Bee is offline Offending people since before Del :D
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    We can all just adapt!
    Yes, we just need to shift everything down a bit or up a bit towards the poles! Genius! Anyone got a spade to start relocating the forests? Not sure how we are going to tackle the barrier reef. Hmmm, we might also need to relocate the populations of a few of the smaller Pacific Islands. Perhaps we should send them a memo that it's best not to come by boat.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Busy-Bee For This Useful Post:

beebs  (16-09-2013),PurpleButterfly4  (09-10-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Father View Post
    Nope. I meant what I said. The arctic. Your link is 11 months old. Maybe you should be more abreast with what has happened in the past year.
    Being that the actual report hasn't been released with the IPCC's explanations and conclusions, I'll wait.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kirst33 For This Useful Post:

beebs  (16-09-2013),snowqu33n  (16-09-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Being that the actual report hasn't been released with the IPCC's explanations and conclusions, I'll wait.
    The current state of arctic ice is independent of any IPCC report. The time it takes them to write the report will mean the arctic ice information will already be out of date.

You claim to know the science pretty well. I'm sure you would have no problems in finding out what has happened in the arctic over the last 12 months. If you are waiting for the IPCC report to tell you - you will be disappointed, because it won't.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm merely pointing out that my source (the article rather than the person) is verifiable. The IPCC leak is not. The article in The Australian is based entirely on the DM article (which is based on leaked documents that don't seem available to anyone but them).

I'm not arguing over climate change, I'm pointing out bad journalism.

Although to be fair, none of those articles are denying that man-made climate change exists. They're merely pointing out that it's not happening at the predicated rate. We're in a slow cooker rather than a frying pan. Hurrah!

Thank you for the WSJ link.

You are quoting John Cook (a commentator on the article). I was quoting David Rose (the author of the article). Is your source better?

US article?
    http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...485712464.html
    Last edited by snowqu33n; 16-09-2013 at 20:24.

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to snowqu33n For This Useful Post:

beebs  (16-09-2013),Busy-Bee  (16-09-2013),HappyBovinexx  (16-09-2013),Kirst33  (16-09-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    You do realize the thickness of the ice matters right?

Just like that NASA link provided some explanations as to why Antarctica has more ice, I am sure that the IPCC report and subsequent reports by other scientists will also provide explanations. Not sure what is so hard to understand about that?

I don't claim to know the science, I claim to believe a majority of the world's scientists...

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kirst33 For This Useful Post:

beebs  (16-09-2013),Clementine Grace  (17-09-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by wikidwitch View Post
    I'm merely pointing out that my source (the article rather than the person) is verifiable. The IPCC leak is not. The article in The Australian is based entirely on the DM article (which is based on leaked documents that don't seem available to anyone but them).

I'm not arguing over climate change, I'm pointing out bad journalism.

Thank you for the WSJ link.
    John Cook's comments are verifiable. As is the leaked IPCC report. It is out there.

Apparently John Cook couldn't find the reference to 2C/decade in the 2007 report.

Here it is:

Since IPCC's first report in 1990, assessed projections

have suggested global average temperature increases
    between about 0.15°C and 0.3°C per decade for 1990 to
    2005. This can now be compared with observed values

of about 0.2°C per decade, strengthening confidence in near-term projections.

Thanks
    Reviews
    You do realize the thickness of the ice matters right?

Just like that NASA link provided some explanations as to why Antarctica has more ice, I am sure that the IPCC report and subsequent reports by other scientists will also provide explanations.
    Yes. It is not as readily measurable though. The arctic grew by 60% in the last year. The official measurements are readily available for viewing if you have an interest. Do you believe that figure?

Waiting for an IPCC report to respond to a current fact is ridiculous. You don't need to wait for the news in the evening to find out if it rained today.

Sometimes a picture says a thousand words.

Thanks
    Reviews
    http://mobile.slate.com/blogs/bad_as...ogle.com.au%2F

'The second claim that the Arctic sea ice is now 60 percent higher over August 2012 is technically true but extremely misleading. In the summer of 2012 Arctic sea ice hit a record low. Given just how extreme it was, it’s not too surprising that it would not be as extreme this year. As you can see by the graph here, the sea ice extent (which essentially represents how much area is covered by ice) was incredibly low last year and is still lower than average this year. Rose makes this seem like the ice is on a huge rebound, but it’s more like getting a D- after getting an F on a test. Sure, it’s better, but it ain’t necessarily good.'

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kirst33 For This Useful Post:

beebs  (16-09-2013),sockstealingpoltergeist  (16-09-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    John Cook's comments are verifiable. As is the leaked IPCC report. It is out there.
    Super. If there's a link to the actual leaked report, I'd be happy to read that rather than rely on supposition and paraphrasing from these news sources. Especially the Daily Mail. [text deleted by moderator] Snack time is over and Candy Crush is calling.
    Last edited by BH-KatiesMum; 16-09-2013 at 21:14. Reason: rude

16. The Following User Says Thank You to snowqu33n For This Useful Post:

Kirst33  (16-09-2013)