+ Reply to Thread
Page 16 of 26 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 ... LastLast
Results 151 to 160 of 260
  1. #151
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    2,603
    Thanks
    126
    Thanked
    267
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by headoverfeet View Post
    so why is it such a big issue?
    It shouldn't be. But apparently it is more important for governments to spend trillions on trying to save the world from a 1 degree change in temperature over the next 90 years, than it is to spend that money on hospitals or feeding the poor. Some people think that is money well spent.
    I find it ridiculous.

  2. #152
    Busy-Bee's Avatar
    Busy-Bee is offline Offending people since before Del :D
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Brisbane
    Posts
    11,209
    Thanks
    3,683
    Thanked
    4,763
    Reviews
    2
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    Quote Originally Posted by Father View Post
    It shouldn't be. But apparently it is more important for governments to spend trillions on trying to save the world from a 1 degree change in temperature over the next 90 years, than it is to spend that money on hospitals or feeding the poor. Some people think that is money well spent.
    I find it ridiculous.
    Even when a significant part of that temp change is caused by humans and will cause catastrophic events? I'm pretty sure climate change/temp changes grow exponentially as well.
    Last edited by Busy-Bee; 08-10-2013 at 21:56.

  3. The Following User Says Thank You to Busy-Bee For This Useful Post:

    beebs  (08-10-2013)

  4. #153
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    10,012
    Thanks
    14,124
    Thanked
    7,612
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Oh, so sorry Father, for not posting a quote just the way you like it. I'll know better for next time. Naughty me.

    All very fascinating, obviously we both can't actually quote the entire report on here (although one of us is trying their hardest and it isn't me). But, the reason I quoted that one specific quote, is because it says exactly the opposite of what you keep saying, it isn't cherry picking. It is refuting your argument, there is a difference.

    Yes of course the earth goes through climate change cycles, the reason we have a problem now though is because we are causing it to speed up and happen with more intensity, thus causing problems with eco systems and habitats of animals causing many species to die, water will become scarce in some parts of the world, the sea will rise flooding other parts of the world etc.

    Father, that whole report basically comes back to one thing, the earth is warming at a greater speed than it naturally would, we are the cause, it will cause severe weather patterns, it will melt the ice caps.

    I know you keep saying stuff like "it isn't as bad as projected". Yeah, so what? That is a good thing - it is still happening though. It hasn't actually stopped.

  5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to beebs For This Useful Post:

    Busy-Bee  (08-10-2013),Kirst33  (09-10-2013)

  6. #154
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    10,012
    Thanks
    14,124
    Thanked
    7,612
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Here is a quote for you Father - I am going to put little inverted commas around it so you can see exactly where it is. I thought it was a cracker;

    "Only those humans who have absolutely no empathy for the very young and the yet-to-be-born could reach a conclusion that given the information now available to decision-makers, that either we should ignore that information or that we should wilfully deny its importance. The negative impacts of climate change have already been significant to both human and non-human beings and to deliberately continue to impose negative change on life on Earth is now in the realm of the morally wicked. We know from the science the physics of climate change, we know that it is humans that cause enhanced climate change, we know what to do to prevent further climate change as we have carbon-free renewable energy technologies readily available; yet some humans think that we should do nothing about anthropogenic climate change. It is time to call those people out … their position is ethically evil."-

    Professor Glenn Albrecht is Professor of Sustainability and Director Institute for Social Sustainability at Murdoch University

  7. The Following User Says Thank You to beebs For This Useful Post:

    sockstealingpoltergeist  (08-10-2013)

  8. #155
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Haunted House
    Posts
    10,891
    Thanks
    1,538
    Thanked
    1,568
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Father View Post
    It shouldn't be. But apparently it is more important for governments to spend trillions on trying to save the world from a 1 degree change in temperature over the next 90 years, than it is to spend that money on hospitals or feeding the poor. Some people think that is money well spent.
    I find it ridiculous.
    Hilarious. I personally was not happy when the current government was elected because I care about all of those hings.

    We now have a government in power that cares about making the rich richer, is funded by the wealthiest greediest people who care boing about poor and starving people, nor hospital funding. So please get real.

    Most people who care about climate change care about people. They are not your usual conservative voters, and if you truly cared about those things I suspect your posts would come across a lot differently.

    I think you need to do some reflictive thinking. Maybe reasses your values and what is truly important in life.

  9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sockstealingpoltergeist For This Useful Post:

    beebs  (09-10-2013),BigRedV  (09-10-2013)

  10. #156
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    711
    Thanks
    440
    Thanked
    318
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Father View Post
    Yes it has.
    For that reason, I find the term 'climate change' to be very misleading. No one denies the fact that the climate changes.
    Wait, didn't we separate cyclic climate change from human induced climate change about 100 posts ago. This is exhausting...

  11. The Following User Says Thank You to JungleMum For This Useful Post:

    beebs  (09-10-2013)

  12. #157
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    711
    Thanks
    440
    Thanked
    318
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by beebs View Post
    Here is a quote for you Father - I am going to put little inverted commas around it so you can see exactly where it is. I thought it was a cracker;

    "Only those humans who have absolutely no empathy for the very young and the yet-to-be-born could reach a conclusion that given the information now available to decision-makers, that either we should ignore that information or that we should wilfully deny its importance. The negative impacts of climate change have already been significant to both human and non-human beings and to deliberately continue to impose negative change on life on Earth is now in the realm of the morally wicked. We know from the science the physics of climate change, we know that it is humans that cause enhanced climate change, we know what to do to prevent further climate change as we have carbon-free renewable energy technologies readily available; yet some humans think that we should do nothing about anthropogenic climate change. It is time to call those people out … their position is ethically evil."-

    Professor Glenn Albrecht is Professor of Sustainability and Director Institute for Social Sustainability at Murdoch University
    Confession... I have a crush on Prof Albrecht (well, his brain!).

  13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JungleMum For This Useful Post:

    beebs  (09-10-2013),Funchu  (09-10-2013)

  14. #158
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    2,603
    Thanks
    126
    Thanked
    267
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Busy-Bee View Post
    Even when a significant part of that temp change is caused by humans and will cause catastrophic events? I'm pretty sure climate change/temp changes grow exponentially as well.
    I'm not sure what 'catastrophic events' you are referring. Post #147 contains the IPCC's views on extreme weather events.
    What science indicates that temperature increases are exponential? First I have heard of that.

  15. #159
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    2,603
    Thanks
    126
    Thanked
    267
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by beebs View Post
    But, the reason I quoted that one specific quote, is because it says exactly the opposite of what you keep saying, it isn't cherry picking. It is refuting your argument, there is a difference.
    Which comment was it refuting? That it doesn't cause 'extreme weather' events? Then you post a quote about more hot days, less cold days, and heat waves. Never mind all those 'extreme' weather events. Droughts, cyclones, hurricanes, floods, hail and thunderstorms.



    Quote Originally Posted by beebs View Post
    Yes of course the earth goes through climate change cycles, the reason we have a problem now though is because we are causing it to speed up and happen with more intensity
    What are we causing to happen with more intensity?

  16. #160
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    2,603
    Thanks
    126
    Thanked
    267
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by beebs View Post
    "Only those humans who have absolutely no empathy for the very young and the yet-to-be-born could reach a conclusion that given the information now available to decision-makers, that either we should ignore that information or that we should wilfully deny its importance.
    So those climate scientists who do not agree with the 'consensus' are evil and wicked? Maybe we should put them in jail to silence them. David Suzuki seemed to think that idea was valid.


 

Similar Threads

  1. E Tax - Where am I going wrong??
    By Mokeybear in forum Family Finances
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 05-09-2013, 19:08

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
free weekly newsletters | sign up now!
who are these people who write great posts? meet our hubbub authors!
Learn how you can contribute to the hubbub!

reviews
learn how you can become a reviewer!

competitions

forum - chatting now
sales & new stuffsee all
Carmel's Beauty Secrets
7 Day Nail Growth Boosting Method Carmel's Beauty Secrets
The Nail Growth Boosting Method, will help transform your nails in just 7 days. You will also notice a big difference in their strength. It's so easy and only needs to be performed once a month.
Get your Nail Growth Boosting Method at the link below.
featured supporter
KindyROO
KindyROO offers activities for babies & toddlers in a fun learning centre, focussing on developmental education. Classes are available at three Brisbane and two Gold Coast locations. Enrol today & help your child to reach their full potential. Visit the website to find out more.
gotcha
X

Pregnant for the first-time?

Not sure where to start? We can help!

Our Insider Programs for pregnancy first-timers will lead you step-by-step through the 14 Pregnancy Must Dos!