+ Reply to Thread
Page 14 of 26 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Every single one of them. Anyone else would read the IPCC report and come to the same conclusion as the IPCC. That global warming is happening on a greater scale because of humans. But not you, you go through, pick out little things and are like "ha, look how they didn't get that prediction exactly right, seems we are all safe and this has all been a big deal about nothing".

Quote Originally Posted by Father View Post
    Of course I do. You have said that my claims are cherry picked. Which claims are you referring?

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to beebs For This Useful Post:

JungleMum  (08-10-2013),Kirst33  (07-10-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by beebs View Post
    Every single one of them. Anyone else would read the IPCC report and come to the same conclusion as the IPCC. That global warming is happening on a greater scale because of humans. But not you, you go through, pick out little things and are like "ha, look how they didn't get that prediction exactly right, seems we are all safe and this has all been a big deal about nothing".
    I don't see how you can think that talking about lack of global warming inside the topic of 'global warming' is cherry picking. Global temperature data is fundamental to the theory of global warming. I think the fact that none of their models could show the lack of warming for the last 16 years is quite important.

The IPCC have also now dumbed down all of their 'extreme weather' claims, and rising sea level claims. That is good news. Have you read that in the IPCC report?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Kirst33 View Post
    I can only see the first sentence...but there is no 'lack of global warming' and what deniers perceive as 'lack of' has been explained many times, even in the recent IPCC report.
    Who is denying the science now?

From the IPCC report (SMP-10):

The observed reduction in surface warming trend over the period 1998–2012 as compared to the period 1951–2012, is due....
    So the IPCC is talking about something that doesn't exist?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    16 years. Cherry picking.

Also, one report and you are all like "phew" false alarm. Science doesn't work like that. I am SO glad we have actual scientists keeping an eye on global warming.

Quote Originally Posted by Father View Post
    I don't see how you can think that talking about lack of global warming inside the topic of 'global warming' is cherry picking. Global temperature data is fundamental to the theory of global warming. I think the fact that none of their models could show the lack of warming for the last 16 years is quite important.

The IPCC have also now dumbed down all of their 'extreme weather' claims, and rising sea level claims. That is good news. Have you read that in the IPCC report?

Thanks
    Reviews

Also, one report and you are all like "phew" false alarm. Science doesn't work like that. I am SO glad we have actual scientists keeping an eye on global warming.
    It is not cherry picking when you are referring to a specific question. Kirst is adamant that there has not been a reduced warming period over the last 16 years or so, so I provided a reference from the IPCC report that states there was.

Burying your head in the sand and ignoring the real life observations is not how science works.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

It hasn't stalled! The IPCC even addressed that issue (what deniers perceive as the apparent 'lack of' raised temps) in their latest report, so IT IS cherry picking if you continually focus on that one point and continually ignore what the scientists are trying to explain to you.
    Last edited by Kirst33; 08-10-2013 at 07:39.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Kirst33 For This Useful Post:

beebs  (08-10-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    It hasn't stalled! The IPCC even addressed that issue (what deniers perceive as the apparent 'lack of' raised temps) in their latest report, so IT IS cherry picking if you continually focus on that one point and continually ignore what the scientists are trying to explain to you.
    And what are they trying to explain? That they no longer have any confidence that 'global warming' will result in more 'extreme weather'?
    Or is that cherry picking too?
    So the temperatures aren't rising as much as predicted. The sea levels aren't rising as much as predicted. And they can't see any trend in extreme weather events.
    Am I only permitted to comment on what the media is trying to tell me, rather than the actual words in the report?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    But it is 16 years Kirst, 16 whole years in the entire history of the world. Of course we should focus on that. It is such a big chunk of time in our history and all.

Thanks
    Reviews
    But it is 16 years Kirst, 16 whole years in the entire history of the world. Of course we should focus on that. It is such a big chunk of time in our history and all.
    How many years of warming did it take to start the 'global warming' theory off? Feel free to do some research, but it was much less than 16 years!
    So if the temperatures go up for a couple of years - it is the end of the world as we know it.
    But if they remain steady for 16 years - move along, nothing to see here.

You seem to be focusing on one area yourself. The seas are not expected to rise as much as they once thought, and there have been no changes in extreme weather.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    But even in those 16 years it hasn't stalled. If you take out 1998 (hottest year), the graphs show there is no 'pause.' But ALSO when you take into account natural El Niño and La Niña cycles, that also helps explain the temps. Then there's the ocean currently absorbing much of the heat, 1998 was a very hot El Niño where the ocean was already warm and unable to absorb more heat whereas these past years it has been capable of that job. And then there's the fact that they do not just look at temperatures to determine what is happening but so many other environmental factors.

The arrogance of who knows best is astounding.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kirst33 For This Useful Post:

beebs  (08-10-2013),BigRedV  (08-10-2013)