+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 54
  1. #31
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    my house
    Posts
    17,695
    Thanks
    1,391
    Thanked
    7,284
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Father View Post
    It's not a separate cabinet position. Peter Dutton is the Health Minister. He also has the sport portfolio. Are you worried that sport won't get much attention from the Health Minister?
    I think you are a but smarter than that to understand what she was asking!

    ImageUploadedByThe Bub Hub1379363291.565774.jpg

  2. #32
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    1,272
    Thanks
    946
    Thanked
    1,022
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Father View Post
    .. I sincerely hope that any 'climate changy' type of pseudo science doesn't receive any more money.
    .
    Somebody call Obama (and so many other leaders)! They're wasting their money on 'pseudo-science' and F has the answer!!

  3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kirst33 For This Useful Post:

    babybabycakes  (17-09-2013),beebs  (17-09-2013)

  4. #33
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    360
    Thanks
    4
    Thanked
    102
    Reviews
    0
    No Minister For Housing either. Um, 'climate changy' type pseudo science? All I can say is don't blame me, I didn't vote for this nutter!

  5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Secret of Cleo For This Useful Post:

    Atropos  (17-09-2013),beebs  (17-09-2013)

  6. #34
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    3,431
    Thanks
    1,018
    Thanked
    2,081
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Father View Post
    Amazing how upset people get over a name.
    Oh I wouldn't expect it to upset the keyboard warriors. For the people working in the science and science policy field, having science taken out of the name is a big deal, it goes without saying. You know, the people who actually contribute to science and discover new information which inform's policy decisions that affect the future of the country.

    Abbott hasn't even announced who is responsible for the ARC, the previous science portfolio is now likely to be split up between Education and Industry (who will have CSIRO) so there won't be one minister. The fact that it hasn't been announced where it will all fall shows that it is a very low priority for this government.
    Last edited by Clementine Grace; 17-09-2013 at 07:51.

  7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Clementine Grace For This Useful Post:

    Funchu  (17-09-2013),Kirst33  (17-09-2013),sockstealingpoltergeist  (17-09-2013)

  8. #35
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    2,565
    Thanks
    2,851
    Thanked
    1,254
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Father View Post
    It's not a separate cabinet position. Peter Dutton is the Health Minister. He also has the sport portfolio. Are you worried that sport won't get much attention from the Health Minister?
    I think you'll find that Dutton is the Minister for Health and Sport, not just the Minister for Health who also happens to look after Sport.

    I'm all for simplification of Ministerial titles (I mean Innovation, Industry, Climate Change, Science, Research and Tertiary Education is a bit of a mouthful), but Department names still need to sufficiently describe the responsibilities of the Department, so that ordinary members of the public know where to go. I sincerely hope that we don't end up with a 'Department of Industry". It sounds like something out of the dark ages. We should be actively encouraging science, research and INNOVATION (a key driver of economic growth). If the Government removes these things from the public eye by removing them from Department names, it sends the signal that it doesn't value them. That is why people are upset about this issue.

    On a side note, I wonder how much it costs to change departmental stationery, websites, email addresses etc...? So much for cutting costs. Oh well, I suppose they'll just sack 25,000 public servants instead of just 20,000.

  9. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Funchu For This Useful Post:

    Atropos  (17-09-2013),babybabycakes  (17-09-2013),beebs  (17-09-2013),Busy-Bee  (17-09-2013),Ellewood  (17-09-2013),HazTechDad  (17-09-2013),Kirst33  (17-09-2013),rainbow road  (17-09-2013),sockstealingpoltergeist  (17-09-2013),Witwicky  (17-09-2013)

  10. #36
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    8,806
    Thanks
    7,267
    Thanked
    9,720
    Reviews
    5
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Funchu View Post
    I think you'll find that Dutton is the Minister for Health and Sport, not just the Minister for Health who also happens to look after Sport.

    I'm all for simplification of Ministerial titles (I mean Innovation, Industry, Climate Change, Science, Research and Tertiary Education is a bit of a mouthful), but Department names still need to sufficiently describe the responsibilities of the Department, so that ordinary members of the public know where to go. I sincerely hope that we don't end up with a 'Department of Industry". It sounds like something out of the dark ages. We should be actively encouraging science, research and INNOVATION (a key driver of economic growth). If the Government removes these things from the public eye by removing them from Department names, it sends the signal that it doesn't value them. That is why people are upset about this issue.

    On a side note, I wonder how much it costs to change departmental stationery, websites, email addresses etc...? So much for cutting costs. Oh well, I suppose they'll just sack 25,000 public servants instead of just 20,000.
    Excellent points, you hit the nail on the head. I do not feel that the government values science. I don't think this govt values women, youth, aged or disabled folk, the environment...

    Interesting point to about the costs to change all the stationery etc too. Waste as well as cost. Shame.

  11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Atropos For This Useful Post:

    beebs  (17-09-2013),Funchu  (17-09-2013)

  12. #37
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    At the beach
    Posts
    10,495
    Thanks
    1,430
    Thanked
    9,003
    Reviews
    3
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Father View Post
    It's not a separate cabinet position. Peter Dutton is the Health Minister. He also has the sport portfolio. Are you worried that sport won't get much attention from the Health Minister?
    Are you serious?

    I could understand recreation as a portfolio, to cover a wide variety of outdoor activities, but sport was created as a vanity portfolio by the Hawke government.

    Aussie Aussie Aussie!!!
    Last edited by Sonja; 17-09-2013 at 09:32.

  13. The Following User Says Thank You to Sonja For This Useful Post:

    beebs  (17-09-2013)

  14. #38
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    10,012
    Thanks
    14,124
    Thanked
    7,612
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Clementine Grace View Post
    Oh I wouldn't expect it to upset the keyboard warriors. For the people working in the science and science policy field, having science taken out of the name is a big deal,
    And those who actually believe in Science and research. I wouldn't expect people who don't believe in science to understand.

  15. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to beebs For This Useful Post:

    Clementine Grace  (17-09-2013),Rose&Aurelia&Hannah  (17-09-2013),sockstealingpoltergeist  (17-09-2013)

  16. #39
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    3,431
    Thanks
    1,018
    Thanked
    2,081
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by beebs View Post
    And those who actually believe in Science and research. I wouldn't expect people who don't believe in science to understand.
    Precisely.

  17. #40
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    2,027
    Thanks
    4,429
    Thanked
    550
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    ImageUploadedByThe Bub Hub1379374258.869920.jpg

    Disgraceful....lets just hope that he doesn't do TOO much damage whilst he's PM :-/

  18. The Following User Says Thank You to ~ElectricPink~ For This Useful Post:

    sockstealingpoltergeist  (17-09-2013)


 

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 6
    Last Post: 06-12-2012, 17:09
  2. Let's talk science!
    By Ana Gram in forum General Chat
    Replies: 52
    Last Post: 27-10-2012, 19:11
  3. Petition to the Minister for Health
    By serendipity22 in forum Anti Routine Infant Circumcision
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-10-2012, 19:52

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
free weekly newsletters | sign up now!
who are these people who write great posts? meet our hubbub authors!
Learn how you can contribute to the hubbub!

reviews
learn how you can become a reviewer!

competitions

forum - chatting now
christmas gift guidesee all Red Stocking
Mother and Baby Shop
Save $$$ during our Christmas Sale Mother and Baby Shop
Great prices on Schoenhut kids pianos, toys, baby clothing as well as big brands like Pigeon, NUK, Cherub Baby and many more. Sale starts on 1 November 2016 and ends on the 27 December 2016. Hurry! Place your order today!
sales & new stuffsee all
Bub Hub Sales Listing
HAVING A SALE? Let parents know about it with a Bub Hub Sales listing. Listings are featured on our well trafficked Sales Page + selected randomly to appear on EVERY page
featured supporter
gotcha
X

Pregnant for the first-time?

Not sure where to start? We can help!

Our Insider Programs for pregnancy first-timers will lead you step-by-step through the 14 Pregnancy Must Dos!