+ Reply to Thread
Page 45 of 46 FirstFirst ... 3543444546 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    And imagine the sahm's trying to get a spot. I can't see that happening.

I am all in favour of free education (although I can see the downside as both my parents started but didn't finish numerous uni degrees when they were in their 40s because it was free) but not free childcare.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Just thought I'd mention that with government funding of private schools- DH works at a private school in a very low socioeconomic rural area. The school fees aren't a lot as it is subsidised by the government- which I thought was quite crazy but, then I found out that it's cheaper for the government to subsidise more places at the private school than it is to provide the same number of places at the high school. So they actually save money by helping provide more private school places. Thought that was interesting.,

3. The Following User Says Thank You to TheMadHatter For This Useful Post:

Mod-pegasus  (26-09-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMadHatter View Post
    Just thought I'd mention that with government funding of private schools- DH works at a private school in a very low socioeconomic rural area. The school fees aren't a lot as it is subsidised by the government- which I thought was quite crazy but, then I found out that it's cheaper for the government to subsidise more places at the private school than it is to provide the same number of places at the high school. So they actually save money by helping provide more private school places. Thought that was interesting.,
    I have no problems with the government subsidising catholic schools or other cheaper schools. But I think the line needs to be drawn at elite private schools.

http://m.smh.com.au/data-point/priva...125-2dc27.html

More interesting reading:

http://m.theage.com.au/data-point/pr...124-2d8c4.html

http://www.exfin.com/private-school-costs

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRedV View Post
    I have no problems with the government subsidising catholic schools or other cheaper schools. But I think the line needs to be drawn at elite private schools.

http://m.smh.com.au/data-point/priva...125-2dc27.html

More interesting reading:

http://m.theage.com.au/data-point/pr...124-2d8c4.html

http://www.exfin.com/private-school-costs
    Holy crap... I agree with you.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post
    Holy crap... I agree with you.

And let's not forget that these private schools get 70% of federal government funding, yet only 30% of students attend private school.

Thanks
    Reviews

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRedV View Post

And let's not forget that these private schools get 70% of federal government funding, yet only 30% of students attend private school.
    ! And one plus one equals 3...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    70% of federal funding. Not ALL funding. Let's not forget the State governments are responsible for public schools. Federal funding isn't supposed to be the primary funding source for schools.

Before I get accused of supporting enormous amounts of funding for elite schools - I'm not. Just reminding people who is actually responsible for the funding and administration for schools.

Edit: a quick google reveals in 2011 students attending government schools receiving approximately $12k of government funding per student per year and those attending non-government schools receive approximately $6k a year per student per year.
    Last edited by NancyBlackett; 26-09-2013 at 06:24.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to NancyBlackett For This Useful Post:

Mod-pegasus  (26-09-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Agreed, private schools that charge $30k pa don't need any more funding!!
    I'm talking, for example, the ones that charge $2k pa in areas where increasing the fees would likely lead to a drop in enrolments as people wouldn't be able to afford it.

Mod-pegasus is offline ADMINISTRATOR
    and all that the Lorax left here in this mess was a small pile of rocks with the one word...UNLESS
    Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm just looking at the My School website.

Here's some breakdowns for some of the schools (I'm not going to distinguish between Federal and State monies as by then it's starting to nitpick).

The school my children go to:
    Government funding ~$7000 per student

The public school in the next street:
    Government funding ~$13000 per student

The catholic school in the same area (This school seems to only charge about $1000/student in private fees):
    Government funding ~$10000 per student

The steiner school in the same area:
    Government funding ~$7000 per student

The Montessori school in the same area:
    Government funding ~$7000 per student.

The public school in the suburb I live in:
    Government funding~$11000 per student.

The public school 2 streets from the school my children go to which has the highest number of students with special needs in my area:
    Government funding ~$14000 per student.

Pymble Ladies college:
    Government funding ~$3500 per student

This is why I hate conversations where people start regarding "the government is giving so much to the rich". The fact is the richer the school (ie. the more fees the parents pay), the less funding from the government.

Isn't that how it should be?

Not quibbling that the federal government gives 70% of funding to private schools which house 30% of students, when in reality, state and federal governments combined give less funding to private schools.

I'm sure there may be some skewed studies around, but the facts are there in black and white on the my school website.

Government funding as a whole does not go to private schools as a higher percentage.
    Last edited by Mod-pegasus; 26-09-2013 at 12:48.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Mod-pegasus For This Useful Post:

VicPark  (26-09-2013)