+ Reply to Thread
Page 43 of 46 FirstFirst ... 334142434445 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pegasus View Post
    And my point again is that the parents are choosing to do this not necessarily because they have money but because they are choosing to invest in their children.

If I needed a tutor for my children I'd work out somewhere to cut my budget or pick up an extra days work or something.
    I'm in a more fortunate position right now, I still couldn't afford private school right now, but I could afford a tutor.

When I was younger I could barely afford bread. I could not have paid for a tutor, I had so little income. It's not a choice for many people. If I had cut my budget we would have been eating grass and living in a tent.

I think most parents rich or poor want to invest in their children and do so to the best of their ability.
    Last edited by sockstealingpoltergeist; 25-09-2013 at 17:30.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sockstealingpoltergeist For This Useful Post:

beebs  (25-09-2013),BigRedV  (25-09-2013),Mod-pegasus  (25-09-2013)

Mod-pegasus is offline ADMINISTRATOR
    and all that the Lorax left here in this mess was a small pile of rocks with the one word...UNLESS
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sockstealingpoltergeist View Post
    I'm in a more fortunate position right now, I still couldn't afford private school right now, but I could afford a tutor.

When I was younger I could barely affords bread. I could not have paid for a tutor, I had so little income. It's not a choice for many people.

I think most parents rich or poor want to invest in their children and do so to the best of their ability.
    I do agree, as I've said, I've been up and down the financial hierarchy and found apathy everywhere as well as parents who appear exemplary. In most families the parents are doing the best they can.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    Regarding text books - my first degree on did on campus and got away with buying only 2 books throughout the 4 years.

This time around I'm doing it distance ed. For 1 semester 5 texts for 4 subjects were prescribed reading. Some books are on closed reserve, but only certain chapters and I had to buy them - they were worth $80-130 each.

I wonder if we'd be having the same POV if Abbott brought out a new initiative where child care rebate became a deferred loan. The govt would heavily or fully subside care of your children until school age, which from then on, on over 50k you had to pay all of it back.

When you think about it it's not a silly example. Both CCR and uni loans ensure individuals and families are more financially self sufficient and productive members of society. Both would incur large totals. Both are funded by the govt. And if we come at it from the idea that "I got through, so others should" then lots of our parents would say they coped without a child care payment, when women were returning to the workforce.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to delirium For This Useful Post:

beebs  (25-09-2013),sockstealingpoltergeist  (25-09-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    I think complaining about a deferred subsidized debt which will likely enable you to earn a better income... Is a first world problem.

There are worse things going on in the world.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sockstealingpoltergeist View Post

When I was younger I could barely afford bread. I could not have paid for a tutor, I had so little income. It's not a choice for many people. If I had cut my budget we would have been eating grass and living in a tent.

I agree.

I think if you are fortunate enough to earn more money by working more, then consider yourself lucky. Some parents where I work earn minimum wage and couldn't really stretch the budget more or do any other work due to their lack of education or no more hours.

I also think that having a degree gives you a much bigger earning potential. Majority of parents where I work are single and have year 9 or equivalent education level.
    Last edited by BigRedV; 25-09-2013 at 18:30.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to BigRedV For This Useful Post:

sockstealingpoltergeist  (25-09-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post
    I think complaining about a deferred subsidized debt which will likely enable you to earn a better income... Is a first world problem.

There are worse things going on in the world.
    Only likely in certain disciplines these days - a Uni degree absolutely does t guarantee an income these days, let alone a decent one. I envy the baby boomers... Free Uni education and almost guaranteed job at the end of a DEGREE! These days a degree is just a stepping stone, you need a masters baby! Even then it's a low starting salary.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Ellewood For This Useful Post:

sockstealingpoltergeist  (25-09-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Studies, like anything can be cherry picked (I'm not saying by you). But who funded the studies, who undertook them etc? And do they have those kinds of problems in countries where education is free?

I think she meant to quote me meg.

Beebs, there have been many studies which show that if money was taken out of the private sector and put into the public sector (schools), many could not afford to pay and therefore there would be an influx of students onto the public system greater than the amount of funding. That argument is flawed, I checked it last week with the industrial action happening in WA schools.

I work in both private and public health and have to say, much as free health for everyone sounds great, the reality for me is what type of service can be delivered to achieve that.

The money has to come from somewhere.

I really have to look further into Sweden, Finland etc as these countries have been held up time and again as utopian with their health, education, parental leave etc.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week

. That argument is flawed, I checked it last week with the industrial action happening in WA schools.
    Completely OT (all of this is really) but curious about this statement. What do you mean Peg?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    I work in both private and public health and have to say, much as free health for everyone sounds great, the reality for me is what type of service can be delivered to achieve that.

The money has to come from somewhere.

I really have to look further into Sweden, Finland etc as these countries have been held up time and again as utopian with their health, education, parental leave etc.
    If you had a household income of 50k and couldn't afford PHI I'm sure you change your mind though Peg. You are speaking from someone who already has PHI. It just doesn't sit well with me that the wealthy have great schools, health care, but the poor get short changed.

We don't have PHI, and by the time it rolls around I'll have been waiting over a year for a relatively basic procedure to be done in the public system. DH will be waiting for around 2 years to have nose surgery to fix his snoring, something that is affecting our quality of life. It sucks.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to delirium For This Useful Post:

BigRedV  (25-09-2013),sockstealingpoltergeist  (25-09-2013)

Mod-pegasus is offline ADMINISTRATOR
    and all that the Lorax left here in this mess was a small pile of rocks with the one word...UNLESS
    Thanks
    Reviews
    I hate the misconceptions in this thread. Del - you have made the assumption that my household income is greater than 50k. I hate talking about my income in any public arena, but truth if the matter is that is actually our household income at the moment.

Ok, do people now feel my posts are more valid knowing I'm not "technically rich".

I'd said earlier in the thread be careful when you assume.

@Sonja, I had a few conversations with people last week re what would happen if money was taken from private schools and injected into public. When I'm on the PC tonight I'll find my references again