+ Reply to Thread
Page 37 of 47 FirstFirst ... 273536373839 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post
    How do you block someone when you're on a phone?
    You can't

You will have to get on a computer!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Bummer. computer still isn't fixed, that's why I still haven't watched the first season of "go back to where you come from."

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Bummer. computer still isn't fixed, that's why I still haven't watched the first season of "go back to where you come from."

You can go to the main site on your phone and do it that way

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I sort of get where @VicPark is coming from. I totally agree with everything that has been said about social and economic disadvantage, but I don't think it is realistic to say that in order to be truly equal opportunity the level of ease needs to be the same for everyone. And of course different people will find the same thing harder than others would. Some people have a natural work ethic for example. Others struggle with the concept of full-time study or work. Anyway that is quite a lame example I know, but do you get what I mean?

I don't think that people who go to private schools automatically have more advantages than those who go to public (although of course, more do than don't).

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kw123 For This Useful Post:

Mod-pegasus  (25-09-2013),VicPark  (25-09-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Thought of a better example. DH and I went to the same Uni. He comes from a wealthier background than me and went to a private boarding school. His parents paid his fees, his rent and a spending allowance. I got no financial support from my parents so have heaps of debt on a student loan and also had to work all through Uni while he did not.

But the opportunity for us both to obtain a degree was the same. We could both still do it. It was just a bit easier for him than for me.

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to kw123 For This Useful Post:

Mod-pegasus  (25-09-2013),moongazer  (25-09-2013),VicPark  (25-09-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Nah, just be your normal non passivey "ball" owning self

Would it make you more comfortable if I started throwing around the hairy armed hippy style comments again?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Nobody is saying everyone should be able to go to university. Even when it's free, there's still entry criteria.

Basic literacy and numeracy skills should be a right for all Australians, not a privilege, but many Australians still can't read or write properly.

http://www.abc.net.au/radionational/...-09-22/4962902

http://m.dailytelegraph.com.au/news/...-1226615174224

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by pegasus View Post
    The tricky thing is that there is assumption that the children who don't get read to, or don't go to school because "mum didn't get out of bed" or don't go to school with full bellies or don't pay voluntary fees are from low socio-economic homes. The children in these homes don't necessarily come from low socio-economic homes. Some of these homes have money. (Definitely not the majority as far as I believe).

Sadly apathy knows no socio-economic status.

@Sonja I don't know if the tagging feature currently has the email feature switched on. @BHCommunity would know.
    That is true, but statistically these children who aren't read to etc are from low socio-economic status.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    Of course I know other kids have it hard. When they get to an age where they can be semi responsible for themselves, they have the opportunity to go further. Will it be hard if they have hopeless parents or a learning difficulty? Yes it will. Will everyone succeed? No they won't, not everyone is cut out for further study/to be a doctor etc.
    There are lots of factors though. I grew up dirt poor. I was in university at just turned 17. But then while I had an abusive mother, she highly valued education. I was read to by my dad. I was told from kinder I was going to uni and I'm a tenacious person. So admittedly income is only one piece of the puzzle.

But it would be unfair of me to say - well I had a crap childhood but still pulled myself out of it. Bc there are so many factors.
    Last edited by delirium; 25-09-2013 at 09:10.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to delirium For This Useful Post:

VicPark  (25-09-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I can see both sides. I think that not everyone is on equal footing, but we do have opportunities here, ones that they can only dream of in countries like America.

But I also think, when you start on the back foot, it is just so much harder to bring yourself up. I don't think economics always plays a part. I was from a low socio economic background, but not from lack of education, my mother was uni educated (put herself through as a mature age student). But my dad died when we were young, so we were a single income family, and that put a lot of financial stress on my mum. She encouraged me to further my education, she read to us every night, she was very "involved" in our schooling, homework etc. But I chose to leave school at 15.

I like it to alcoholics and drug addicts, yes, some people manage to pull themselves up out of the addiction, get on the wagon and never look back. But most people don't. And just because those few can, doesn't mean that everyone can. Experiences are different, life is different.

I had all the advantages of an academic mother who adored education, and I still didn't go on (until now - and I hate it). I can only imagine what it must be like in a family that has no money, and no care for education at all, how hard it must be to get ahead in a situation like that.