+ Reply to Thread
Page 36 of 46 FirstFirst ... 263435363738 ... LastLast
    Mod-pegasus is offline ADMINISTRATOR
    and all that the Lorax left here in this mess was a small pile of rocks with the one word...UNLESS
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    The tricky thing is that there is assumption that the children who don't get read to, or don't go to school because "mum didn't get out of bed" or don't go to school with full bellies or don't pay voluntary fees are from low socio-economic homes. The children in these homes don't necessarily come from low socio-economic homes. Some of these homes have money. (Definitely not the majority as far as I believe).

Sadly apathy knows no socio-economic status.

@Sonja I don't know if the tagging feature currently has the email feature switched on. @BHCommunity would know.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pegasus View Post
    The tricky thing is that there is assumption that the children who don't get read to, or don't go to school because "mum didn't get out of bed" or don't go to school with full bellies or don't pay voluntary fees are from low socio-economic homes. The children in these homes don't necessarily come from low socio-economic homes. Some of these homes have money. (Definitely not the majority as far as I believe).

Sadly apathy knows no socio-economic status.

@Sonja I don't know if the tagging feature currently has the email feature switched on. @BHCommunity would know.
    I would hazard a guess and say vast majority would be from low socio-economic areas. To deny that is ignorant. To try and say that wealthy children have it just as bad is insulting IMO to children from very disadvantaged areas.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRedV View Post
    Lucky you!

Shame you can't acknowledge that others can't do the same.
    Oh stop putting words in my mouth it's getting rather old.

Of course I know other kids have it hard. When they get to an age where they can be semi responsible for themselves, they have the opportunity to go further. Will it be hard if they have hopeless parents or a learning difficulty? Yes it will. Will everyone succeed? No they won't, not everyone is cut out for further study/to be a doctor etc.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post

Of course I know other kids have it hard. When they get to an age where they can be semi responsible for themselves, they have the opportunity to go further. Will it be hard if they have hopeless parents or a learning difficulty? Yes it will. Will everyone succeed? No they won't, not everyone is cut out for further study/to be a doctor etc.
    I am not saying everyone should be a doctor, now who's putting word in my mouth?

Thanks
    Reviews

Oh, and by the time they get to an age where they can "be responsible for themselves" it's already too late. They have already fallen too far behind.

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to BigRedV For This Useful Post:

beebs  (25-09-2013),sockstealingpoltergeist  (25-09-2013),Stiflers Mom  (25-09-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    I am not saying everyone should be a doctor, now who's putting word in my mouth?
    Oh bugger off and stop trying to be argumentative.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Oh bugger off and stop trying to be argumentative.
    No! If you don't like it, don't read. The truth hurts!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    No! If you don't like it, don't read. The truth hurts!
    If you want to exert control over someone to try and prove how cleaver you are wait until you get to school. Im not going to be your whipping boy. Now stop bothering me unless you have something productive to say.

Thanks
    Reviews
    If you want to exert control over someone to try and prove how cleaver you are wait until you get to school. Im not going to be your whipping boy. Now stop bothering me unless you have something productive to say.
    You're ignoring the facts and beginning to get a little hostile.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    How do you block someone when you're on a phone?

12. The Following User Says Thank You to VicPark For This Useful Post:

BigRedV  (25-09-2013)