+ Reply to Thread
Page 25 of 46 FirstFirst ... 15232425262735 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    F**k. Oh my god. Just when you think it couldn't get worse, it does.

Quote Originally Posted by Busy-Bee View Post
    Errr

http://www.theguardian.com/world/201...ster-portfolio

Tony Abbott - Minister for Tim Tams and Tampons.

I want to vomit.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by sockstealingpoltergeist View Post
    http://www.theguardian.com/commentis...abbott-cabinet
    Five women who should have been appointed to cabinet.

I wonder why they weren't appointed? Don't tell me Tony's sexist and the Liberal party is Ole Boys Club. Surely not.
    I read half the article then gave up. It's not comprehensive enough ... Or unbiased enough to lead me to conclude that the 5 women should have been appointed.

For me to be convinced the article would have had to list all liberal MP's (male and female) and their resumes. It would have had to (without bias) list the strengths and weakness of each member. It would have had to detail the personal qualities (eg working in a team, getting along with others) that probably only the candidates parliamentary colleagues would know.

Im not saying the women arent worthy candidates. Im saying this article cherry picks information in order to pitch a pre-conceived idea to the public. And I'm not going to fall for that.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    As opposed to now, where no one has to say or prove anything, show any kind of reason for promoting only males and no females. I actually think you are right - I think we should all get to see their resumes and the reasons they were promoted. I'd bet it isn't because they are better for the positions.

Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post
    I read half the article then gave up. It's not comprehensive enough ... Or unbiased enough to lead me to conclude that the 5 women should have been appointed.

For me to be convinced the article would have had to list all liberal MP's (male and female) and their resumes. It would have had to (without bias) list the strengths and weakness of each member. It would have had to detail the personal qualities (eg working in a team, getting along with others) that probably only the candidates parliamentary colleagues would know.

Im not saying the women arent worthy candidates. Im saying this article cherry picks information in order to pitch a pre-conceived idea to the public. And I'm not going to fall for that.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to beebs For This Useful Post:

sockstealingpoltergeist  (18-09-2013)

Busy-Bee is offline Offending people since before Del :D
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    You're all assuming that candidates are selected on merit.

SpecialPatrolGroup is offline T-rex is cranky until she gets her coffee.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Errr

http://www.theguardian.com/world/201...ster-portfolio

Tony Abbott - Minister for Tim Tams and Tampons.

I want to vomit.
    Well, who else will speak for us while we are ironing?

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to SpecialPatrolGroup For This Useful Post:

beebs  (18-09-2013),Busy-Bee  (18-09-2013),sockstealingpoltergeist  (18-09-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Quote Originally Posted by SpecialPatrolGroup View Post
    Well, who else will speak for us while we are ironing?
    Good point.
    Whilst I'm thinking about it, I should write to him and ask if he has any tips on ironing a poly-cotton business shirt. I can never seem to get the arms seams straight. As his portfolio now covers women's issues he would be the man to ask.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Busy-Bee For This Useful Post:

beebs  (18-09-2013),sockstealingpoltergeist  (18-09-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    You're all assuming that candidates are selected on merit.
    As opposed to assuming they were all promoted because they are Abbott's boyfriends?
    - There are assumptions on both sides. Bottom line there may be something fishy going on but none of us have any solid evidence of this.
    - It will take an insider to spill their guts before we really know what's going on....
    Last edited by VicPark; 18-09-2013 at 20:42.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to VicPark For This Useful Post:

Amiedoll  (24-09-2013)

SpecialPatrolGroup is offline T-rex is cranky until she gets her coffee.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Good point.
    Whilst I'm thinking about it, I should write to him and ask if he has any tips on ironing a poly-cotton business shirt. I can never seem to get the arms seams straight. As his portfolio now covers women's issues he would be the man to ask.
    While you are at it, could you ask about where I can get my dose of sex appeal from?

13. The Following User Says Thank You to SpecialPatrolGroup For This Useful Post:

beebs  (18-09-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    As opposed to assuming they were all promoted because they are Abbott's boyfriends?

I have no idea what this is supposed to mean.

I'll concede that I'm making an assumption but politics is a grubby business and people get their positions not purely based on talent and experience. Right now we have a PM who is unable to do unscripted interviews because the risk is too high that he will put his foot in his mouth. How did he end up as leader of the Lib party?

Another example, and I'll use the ALP for this one, when Peter Garrett was elected he had no previous experience but was given a cabinet position. I would suspect that's because he told the ALP that if they wanted him to run for office and if he won he wanted a cabinet position. His profile would have given him the leverage to do that.

15. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Busy-Bee For This Useful Post:

beebs  (18-09-2013),Mod-pegasus  (19-09-2013),sockstealingpoltergeist  (18-09-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    With number 2 I am going to take just under 12 months off. After that hubby and I are considering me going back full time and hubby changing to part time. (We can't afford full time daycare for 2 kids as the CCR will run out).
    Sorry VPbut what do you mean by CCR running out? Is there a cap per family?