+ Reply to Thread
Page 24 of 47 FirstFirst ... 14222324252634 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by rainbow road View Post
    I agree, people asked for examples of women politicians with kids but suddenly they don't count unless they're the primary caregiver?

The point is that for many female politicians, having a family isn't in the way of them having front bench roles- because, like many male politicians, they have care arrangements that facilitate it.
    No no no no. I asked for women in politics who have young kids... in the context of previous discussions about how easy it is for said women to work in Parliament. Never anywhere did I say unless someone is the primary caregiver they don't count. All I'm saying is that when a bub is young it's very very hard for the traditional mum role (primary caregiver) to work in such a demanding job, especially if breastfeeding is a goal.
    - Apologies if I wasn't clear enough when asking for input.

Penny Wong doesn't fit this criteria as she wasn't the primary caregiver for her young bub.

I agree many women have careers in politics but it becomes easier for them when bub is a little older (1?), not breastfeeding and their spouse can take on the primary caregiver role.

SpecialPatrolGroup is offline T-rex is cranky until she gets her coffee.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post
    Penny Wong doesn't fit this criteria as she wasn't the primary caregiver for her young bub.
    I'm just really uncomfortable with extracting PW from the group of female politicians that you are looking at because presumably she, as a woman, has her own *wife*. I didn't see anyone saying that Nicola Roxon wasn't primary carer, only that her husband must have *stepped up*.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by SpecialPatrolGroup View Post
    I'm just really uncomfortable with extracting PW from the group of female politicians that you are looking at because presumably she, as a woman, has her own *wife*. I didn't see anyone saying that Nicola Roxon wasn't primary carer, only that her husband must have *stepped up*.
    You are totally missing the point.

Fact is penny had a spouse who gave birth, possibly breastfed (or not) and took care of said young bub while she was recovering from birth. This makes is easier for the 'other spouse' to work a demanding job. That's all I'm saying, that's fact. People who are getting offended are reading too much into what I said.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by SpecialPatrolGroup View Post
    but then you might as well include all the male pollies with young kids whose wives have "stepped up". I agree with VicPark - I don't think PW is in the same category.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sonja For This Useful Post:

kw123  (18-09-2013),Mod-pegasus  (19-09-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week

Thanks
    Reviews
    http://www.theguardian.com/commentis...abbott-cabinet
    Five women who should have been appointed to cabinet.

I wonder why they weren't appointed? Don't tell me Tony's sexist and the Liberal party is Ole Boys Club. Surely not.

Busy-Bee is offline Offending people since before Del :D
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    Errr

Portfolio details spell out Tony Abbott's role as women's minister

Abbott takes primary responsibility for women's issues, along with Indigenous affairs, deregulation and national security

The Coalition government has published the fine print of its ministerial arrangements, revealing what has actually happened to the portfolios that went missing in Tony Abbott's pared back ministerial titles.
    The new prime minister himself has taken primary responsibility for women's issues, which under Labor were handled by the families minister, Jenny Macklin.
    "Women's policies and programs" as well as Indigenous affairs, deregulation, national security and relations with state governments are all specified responsibilities of Tony Abbott, who has appointed West Australian senator Michaelia Cash as minister assisting the prime minister for women.
    http://www.theguardian.com/world/201...ster-portfolio

Tony Abbott - Minister for Tim Tams and Tampons.

I want to vomit.

Busy-Bee is offline Offending people since before Del :D
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    Quote Originally Posted by sockstealingpoltergeist View Post
    http://www.theguardian.com/commentis...abbott-cabinet
    Five women who should have been appointed to cabinet.

I wonder why they weren't appointed? Don't tell me Tony's sexist and the Liberal party is Ole Boys Club. Surely not.
    Don't be silly. All these women are at the beck and call of their monthly hormone cycles and thus can't be trusted because they are so unpredictable, they are slaves to their hormones. If they've passed menopause then they are obviously too old and lack sufficient sex appeal for ministerial roles.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Busy-Bee For This Useful Post:

sockstealingpoltergeist  (18-09-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I still can't believe Tony, himself is responsible for 'womens issues'.

*cringe*

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FiveInTheBed For This Useful Post:

beebs  (18-09-2013),RobinSparkles  (18-09-2013)